🚨 Watch the video for 911 🚨

💌 The September fan envelope is here! 💌
Sign in to follow this  
science

Historic beluga whale sighting in San Diego

FfFfFfFF

Beluga-whale-sighted-off-San-Diego-coast

It was a balmy Friday morning in June when Domenic Biagini, whale-watching tour captain steered his  boat out of San Diego's Mission Bay with six clients on board. “We just saw a pearly white, 15-foot animal that didn’t have a dorsal fin,” he recalls her saying over the radio.

An hour later, LaPointe radioed Biagini again, insisting that what she had seen was a beluga. “Nobody's going to believe us if we don't have undeniable proof,” Lapointe told Biagini, urging him to help document what she saw. “Undeniably, unmistakably, a beluga whale popped up in front of me,” he says.

Beluga whales typically restrict themselves to the Arctic and sub-Arctic waters off the coasts of Canada, Greenland, Russia, Scandinavia, and Alaska.  But the beluga that Biagini filmed on June 26 was some 2,500 miles from the nearest known beluga population, in Alaska, and it was all alone. It’s the farthest south this species has ever been officially recorded.

It's not known what inspired this creature to set off on such an unexpected journey. Maybe “it decided to go on a road trip and it's extra curious, or it could be sick and disoriented,” says Alisa Schulman-Janiger, a research associate at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. Based on Biagini’s drone footage, however, she and other experts say the animal looks to have good body condition. 

screen-shot-2020-07-07-at-2_16_03-pm.png

Source: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/07/lone-beluga-appears-off-san-diego-in-unprecedented-sighting/

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 3

Gracious Gaga

how old is the whale??

♥ Kindness Police.

killerstiletto

Interesting. I wonder if we'll ever know why it's so far out of it's usual areas. 

Dance!

weed

Makes me sad tbh :bear: I hope they can make it back to their family/other Belugas 

• Like 1

Itsbrenda
26 minutes ago, killerstiletto said:

Interesting. I wonder if we'll ever know why it's so far out of it's usual areas. 

I mean, we know 

eeaarrllaalloo

Historic Beluga sounds like an insult for an old, plus-sized person.

"By FaR ThE MoSt IrRiTatInG PoSteR oN "ChRoMaTiCa" DisCusSion.
  • LMAO 3

FfFfFfFF
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gracious Gaga said:

how old is the whale??

They don't mention the age explicitly but based on the fact that they say is 15-foot long and beluga whales are at least 18-foot in full size, it's probably a younger specimen (less than 10 years old)

https://seaworld.org/animals/all-about/beluga-whales/characteristics/

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►

Mr Ricky

Looks like CGI lol. 

Crossfit