💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Lady Antebellum change name, then sue Black artist with same name

Gagaloo911

Featured Posts

flyaway

Hadn't heard of them ever since Need u now. 

See Ya Goodbye GIF by Walter Mercado

Lady fAds suits more these "woke" opportunists...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maleficent
6 minutes ago, Seeka said:

Antebellum is another word for the "glory age" of the south. Antebellum South would be what you should look for, not just "Antebellum". 

It's associated with vast mansions, debutantes and their coming out parties, and of course, the slavery needed to keep white man in luxury. 

It's not an immediate connotation but it's there. 

Oh lovely, so now we’re racist via connotation. 

This is just as silly as the removal of Gone With The Wind

FrederickSpears
1 hour ago, Morphine Prince said:

Not them suing a BLACK WOMAN

She wants 10 million dollars. She WISHES. I don't feel bad for her. She originally said they could BOTH use it once they reached an agreement, and now she's going back on her word because she wants $$$. She has no case because she didn't even trademark the name, but they did many many years ago + she's not even famous. This is the best thing to ever happen to her career.

Seeka
6 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

Oh lovely, so now we’re racist via connotation. 

This is just as silly as the removal of Gone With The Wind

Well it's more of a glorification of the South during the days of slavery. 

I honestly never thought the other way. I always thought antebellum was about the culture of the wealthy old south back in the day. 

However, I am from the South, so it's just something I may just know. 

StrawberryBlond

This shows how much pressure makes people change things not because they want to but in order to conform for public acceptance. It's like forcing someone to apologise. It means nothing if it's not genuine. They made a huge mistake suing someone who used the name before them. It reminds me of when Katy Perry sued a designer named Katie Perry for having the same name even though this Katie Perry had her business before Katy became famous. The problem is with them changing their name, why should the artist with the name originally know or care about that? Part of the problem with artists changing their names is that now they won't sound as unique as they did before. I always thought Lady Antebellum was a weird name (mainly because it suggests it's a female solo artist but then, it's a country music thing to name yourself in this way, apparently) but now to make yourself Lady A doesn't make you stand out anywhere near as much, same as The Dixie Chicks just calling themselves The Chicks. It's difficult to come up with a band name that's not already been used as it is (see why bands formed on X Factor always go through name changes) without changing it somewhere along the line.

46 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

Have they even released anything since "Need You Now"? I haven't heard about them in years.:billie:

They've routinely released albums nearly every year after Need You Know but their success faded massively after just one top ten single, Just A Kiss, from their follow-up album, Own The Night in 2011. They released a Christmas cover album, followed by Golden, 747 and Heart Break. Their most recent album, Ocean was released last year, peaked at #11 and its sold just over 62k pure sales in America since then. Their lead single peaked at #40. It's just their superfans who are checking for them now.

FrederickSpears
59 minutes ago, Doot said:

Can someone explain what antebellum even means?

Lady Antebellum met in a Antebellum style house and that's where the band formed and that's how they got their name, but it is racist. I didn't realize it was, though.

FrederickSpears
8 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

This shows how much pressure makes people change things not because they want to but in order to conform for public acceptance. It's like forcing someone to apologise. It means nothing if it's not genuine. They made a huge mistake suing someone who used the name before them. It reminds me of when Katy Perry sued a designer named Katie Perry for having the same name even though this Katie Perry had her business before Katy became famous. The problem is with them changing their name, why should the artist with the name originally know or care about that? Part of the problem with artists changing their names is that now they won't sound as unique as they did before. I always thought Lady Antebellum was a weird name (mainly because it suggests it's a female solo artist but then, it's a country music thing to name yourself in this way, apparently) but now to make yourself Lady A doesn't make you stand out anywhere near as much, same as The Dixie Chicks just calling themselves The Chicks. It's difficult to come up with a band name that's not already been used as it is (see why bands formed on X Factor always go through name changes) without changing it somewhere along the line.

They've routinely released albums nearly every year after Need You Know but their success faded massively after just one top ten single, Just A Kiss, from their follow-up album, Own The Night in 2011. They released a Christmas cover album, followed by Golden, 747 and Heart Break. Their most recent album, Ocean was released last year, peaked at #11 and its sold just over 62k pure sales in America since then. Their lead single peaked at #40. It's just their superfans who are checking for them now.

The Chicks is a great name, thank you very much.

FrederickSpears

Need You Now really was their peak and they have basically faded since then hard. Also all of their recent singles after Need You Now sound the same to me. They should just disband, their album hardly even sells anymore.

StrawberryBlond
1 minute ago, frederiickx said:

How? It's really basic and doesn't tell you anything about the band's identity or what they stand for. The Chicks actually sounds very sexist, akin to calling yourself The Broads. If I heard of a band with this name, I wouldn't even be interested in finding out anything about them.

20 minutes ago, frederiickx said:

Lady Antebellum met in a Antebellum style house and that's where the band formed and that's how they got their name, but it is racist. I didn't realize it was, though.

What is an antebellum house? :laughga:

Seryabkina
2 hours ago, Pennywise said:

Lmao, the fact that they were all like "oh we're changing our name because it is racist" and now they're doing this... Shows a lot about how people just do **** for "woke" points. :ohwell:

most artists do that... more or less blatantly 

but in Lady Antebellum's case... I feel bad for their PR team if this gets big traction

Seryabkina
52 minutes ago, frederiickx said:

honestly, that name made me think of this :toofunny: 

Archived