⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

💌 fan envelope 💌
Sign in to follow this  
society

Buzzfeed Pushes Fake Gen Z News

JRCF29

Okay, so Buzzfeed has just published a Tik-Tok related article (so I guess you could say that it's pushing Chinese malware too :madge:) but anyways it's about some new "call me" or "on the phone" signal allegedly used by Gen Z. I don't think that watching the Tik Tok video via the article poses a security risk but just in case, a breakdown. 

Original: Thumb and pinkie finger out, one up one down, mimicking an old-school receiver, pressed against ear.

"New": Hand flat against ear, mimicking a smart phone.

I'm 17, I have never and would never think to use this symbol. No one that I've ever interacted with in the real world has used this. I just asked my younger sister to make a phone symbol and she did the original; then she said some people do the flat one. Anyone under 18 doesn't really talk on the phone anyway unless it's to our parents. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristatorres/hand-gesture-phone?origin=web-hf

Don't Call Me Gaga

SLAG
Posted (edited)

They did invent the tide pod diet. They’re innovators :huntyga:

Edited by darkpaw

weed

the author of the article is beautiful :flower: but only makes sense that it would change. I wouldn't even do the flat hand tho, I'd put my hand up as if I'm holding an invisible iphone lol

JRCF29
2 minutes ago, weed said:

the author of the article is beautiful :flower: but only makes sense that it would change. I wouldn't even do the flat hand tho, I'd put my hand up as if I'm holding an invisible iphone lol

what on earth would that look like?

Don't Call Me Gaga

JRCF29
2 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

They did invent the tide pod diet. They’re innovators :huntyga:

In my school it was always just a fun joke, I think the people actually eating them were a significant minority amplified by Instagram and Snapchat

Don't Call Me Gaga

ProjectJoanne

inb4 someone makes a Dancin' In Circles reference :billie:

DC

Mindblown

Apparently younger kids use it because they weren't raised with the same type of phones as most of us. It makes sense.

• Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

weed
5 minutes ago, JRCF29 said:

what on earth would that look like?

hold your phone, keep your hand in the same position but slide the phone out lol

• LMAO 1

PoetsTryinWrite

I remember incorporating this into choreography for Just Dance when I was 12 thinking it was all futuristic and stuff... back when it was fun to flip a phone. 

I laughed at the kid not knowing why his mum says “hang up the phone” 

Defend Your Humanity.

PoetsTryinWrite
12 minutes ago, JRCF29 said:

Okay, so Buzzfeed has just published a Tik-Tok related article (so I guess you could say that it's pushing Chinese malware too :madge:) but anyways it's about some new "call me" or "on the phone" signal allegedly used by Gen Z. I don't think that watching the Tik Tok video via the article poses a security risk but just in case, a breakdown. 

Original: Thumb and pinkie finger out, one up one down, mimicking an old-school receiver, pressed against ear.

"New": Hand flat against ear, mimicking a smart phone.

I'm 17, I have never and would never think to use this symbol. No one that I've ever interacted with in the real world has used this. I just asked my younger sister to make a phone symbol and she did the original; then she said some people do the flat one. Anyone under 18 doesn't really talk on the phone anyway unless it's to our parents. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristatorres/hand-gesture-phone?origin=web-hf

I don’t get the title though. Why is it fake news?

Defend Your Humanity.
  • Thanks 1

monster

Im 16 and I do the OG hand signal thing..

⛧Kein mitleid für die mehrheit⛧
  • Thanks 1

monster

Can we talk about how anyone under the age of 23 cannot talk on the phone properly? Like.. its scary..

⛧Kein mitleid für die mehrheit⛧

JRCF29
9 minutes ago, monster said:

Can we talk about how anyone under the age of 23 cannot talk on the phone properly? Like.. its scary..

I am a good public speaker and very good communicator; and the thought of talking to someone on the phone terrifies me. We’re accustomed to the more impersonal texting 

Don't Call Me Gaga
  • Like 1

JRCF29
27 minutes ago, PoetsTryinWrite said:

I don’t get the title though. Why is it fake news?

Because it doesn’t happen. The article makes it seem as thought the original has been replaced but it has not 

Don't Call Me Gaga