⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

Follow us on TikTok
Sign in to follow this  
society

Indian state bans sale of dog meat

FfFfFfFF

5707.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Authorities in India’s north-eastern state of Nagaland have banned the sale of dog meat and halted the import and trading of dogs to be used for food, said officials.

Animal rights advocacy group Humane Society International said in a statement: “This is a major turning point in ending the cruelty in India’s hidden dog meat trade.”

The group estimates up to 30,000 dogs a year are smuggled into Nagaland, where they are sold in live markets. The group said dogs are also regularly beaten to death with wooden clubs.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/04/indian-state-of-nagaland-bans-sale-of-dog-meat

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 6
  • YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 1

raragaga

Good. I can't believe people try to justify eating dogs. Sickening.

xoxo
  • Like 4
  • LMAO 1

Zaskar

Okay, a lil context here. North-east India shares border with China, and Myanmar. It’s mostly hilly and forested area (many areas are not even accessible easily) with tribal population dominating (almost like 80%). The tribal population is also ethnically close to their eastern neighbours (and thus sometimes face discrimination in mainland India).

culturally, it’s quite different than mainland India (in some parts you can’t even go without a valid license from govt.). As for dog-meat, it’s not consumed anywhere in mainland India. That’s only in some north-eastern states, and some of them even have banned it. 

So, no unnecessary outrage please

Sam Gamgee is GAY for Master Frodo!
  • Like 7

Zaskar

I think people from anthropology background can understand that food habits are decided by a multiplicity of factors! 
we can’t just say that a person from mainland India who eats chicken is better than a tribal from north-east India who consumes (occasionally) dog meat!

Sam Gamgee is GAY for Master Frodo!
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

sarahb

Tbh I don't really care if other cultures eat dogs, some cultures would be horrified at me eating cows or whatever. 

It's more the welfare part that concerns me, but not the actual eating of dogs itself (or any animal). 

• Like 6

JRCF29
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zaskar said:

we can’t just say that a person from mainland India who eats chicken is better than a tribal from north-east India who consumes (occasionally) dog meat!

We can and we will :vegas:

I guess I understand your point, but at the same time it’s dogs! And I care much more for dogs than I do chickens (and because I recognize the subjectivity of that comment, I will also say that objectively there are marked differences between dogs and chickens; it would be like saying “what’s the difference between swatting a fly and swatting a hamster”). What I think is another issue no one’s talking about (or maybe they are but not in this thread) is that a lot of times dogs are stolen from homes to be used in the meat trade and that’s despicable. 

EDIT: rethinking my position on the whole thing as we speak... okay I’m glad it was banned but I don’t necessarily think they should have to ban it just because I don’t support it. 

EDIT Again: Idk anymore I’m going to bed I’ll think ab it later. But I do know that I don’t want dogs to die:vegas: love those guys 

Edited by JRCF29
Don't Call Me Gaga
  • LMAO 3

LM

What's the difference between dogs and other animals western countries eat? They all feel pain the same way. Nobody is going to kidnap and eat your Charlie ffs.

Let other cultures have their traditions, nobody is forcing you to stop eating beef either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JRCF29
Just now, LM said:

Nobody is going to kidnap and eat your Charlie ffs.

Except yes, dogs are kidnapped for the meat trade and it’s well-documented 

Don't Call Me Gaga
  • Like 1

LM
1 minute ago, JRCF29 said:

Except yes, dogs are kidnapped for the meat trade and it’s well-documented 

Than fight against the kidnapping and not dog eating...

• Like 2

Dominic
27 minutes ago, LM said:

What's the difference between dogs and other animals western countries eat? They all feel pain the same way. Nobody is going to kidnap and eat your Charlie ffs.

Let other cultures have their traditions, nobody is forcing you to stop eating beef either.

Nah, lets get rid of disgusting traditions. We can also get rid of beef at the same time :)

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it
  • Sad 1

derpmonster
38 minutes ago, JRCF29 said:

objectively there are marked differences between dogs and chickens

Chickens, sure.

But cows? They're mammals just  like dogs. Mammals are the most intelligent of all animals and have been shown to possess emotional characteristics to some degree. How is your cute dog really different from that burger you're eating then?

It's obviously a double standard. For people who revere cows or see them as friendly domestic companions (close to pets), the idea of killing cows is just as bad. My dad's family used to own one and they were scared someone would steal it to slaughter just like you with dogs.

I personally don't care either way. I'm a vegetarian but won't impose it on you. Eat what you want. But if you're gonna eat or be okay with beef, you have to take a critical look and realize your aversion to dog meat is just based in bias.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live
  • Thanks 3

Zeth
29 minutes ago, LM said:

Than fight against the kidnapping and not dog eating...

Or one can (and should) do both... 

The dog market in these countries is beyond abhorrent, and that’s putting all cultural differences aside. There’s rarely any sort of regulation nor interest to do things remotely humane and thus they are treated incredibly poorly. It’s heartbreaking and it’s cruel.

I don’t agree with how the west processes cows, pigs, etc. either for so many reasons, but there is at least, within the US, regulation and policies in place for how their processing is handled. And I’m sure the east shuns our western culture’s choice to eat beef for sure. But I surely don’t expect any person from their culture to defend us and condemn their own for calling us out on it. 

I’m very excited to watch the continued progress of plant-based alternatives in the food industry. I definitely recommend anyone give plant-based food a shot even if you simultaneously eat meat. It’s way better for the environment and, in my experience, I found it to taste just as good, if not better, than pork and beef. 

derpmonster
26 minutes ago, Dominic said:

Nah, lets get rid of disgusting traditions. We can also get rid of beef at the same time :)

I wouldn't be opposed to that but I'm curious - just dogs and cows? All mammals? Chicken too? Where do you propose we stop?

• Thanks 1

derpmonster
1 minute ago, Zeth said:

I don’t agree with how the west processes cows, pigs, etc. either for so many reasons, but there is at least, within the US, regulation and policies in place for how their processing is handled

I'm not sure about cows but you should look at how chickens are treated in America for breeding and slaughtering. It's beyond horrendous and horrific. It's awful. Kept in extremely cramped spaces, at times they end up dismembered, their babies are killed post birth if they're male, etc.

The regulatory bodies exist to make you feel complacent and comfortable. Behind the scenes, the most horrific stuff happens that Americans think only so called "third world countries" have.

• Like 2

Zeth
2 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

I'm not sure about cows but you should look at how chickens are treated in America for breeding and slaughtering. It's beyond horrendous and horrific. It's awful. Kept in extremely cramped spaces, at times they end up dismembered, their babies are killed post birth if they're male, etc.

The regulatory bodies exist to make you feel complacent and comfortable. Behind the scenes, the most horrific stuff happens that Americans think only so called "third world countries" have.

Yep. I mistakingly left them out in my post, but they are treated no better in many instances as well. More and more reason to support plant-based food as it continues to grow prevalent (pun intended). :ally: 

And vegan chicken exists, too. It tastes amazing and just like the real thing. 

• Like 1