Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Charts Discussion

corvus albus

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Mitigated success, underwhelming success, total success.....:toofunny: like sis....what’s the common theme here, it’s really not hard.

qualifying something and nuancing is a thing too, siss

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GagaEnigma
1 hour ago, Harry Kat said:

Well, it starts :ladyhaha:

All I Want For Christmas Is You:

Spotify:

#77 Philippines (NE)

Also the song is already above 100k streams daily on Spotify :laughga:

Gosh it's still summer lmao

ArtGagaPop

That teal/blue hair better be for the 911 MV. Why else would she perform 911 at the VMAs in a outfit with the same color :ally:

The Clown

Not some of y'all getting so worked up about me calling Chromatica a "flop".

I didn't mean to upset anybody. Really, if you're going to be techincal about it, no Gaga era was ever a "flop". Not Chromatica, Joanne or ARTPOP, as they all went Platinum and spawned at least a multiplatinum hit.

And yeah, Gaga is miles above Katy or Miley at this point and we should be grateful for that; effin' C2C might end up outselling Smile at this point :ladyhaha:

All I'm saying is, when you look at the receipts, Chromatica really ain't that much higher than ARTPOP. It has better peaks for it's singles, but that's influenced by the lack of competition in 2020 when compared to 2013. Keep in mind this has been the year with the most individual #1 songs in recent memory. Stupid Love peaked at #5, but only stayed there for one week and for a grand total of 10 in the BB Hot 100. That means it'll probably end up selling around the same or less so than DWUW. ROM hasn't finished it's chart run yet so it wouldn't be wise to comment; however, most estimations seem to put it in league with Applause, if slightly higher, when all is said and done. When it comes to album sales, it appears that both will not hit Platinum by year end, but will eventually within ~1 year from release.

Now, of course things could change in the near future. If luck is on our side, there could be another successful single. Or there could be (more) critical acclaim, with the GRAMMYs. Or maybe some other kind of viral, iconic moment, like the VMA performance.

But as is right now, if something significant won't happen, I believe the era will be forgotten by the GP, with ROM remaining the only somewhat relevant moment, much like Applause is for ARTPOP.

Also, come at me and my username all you want, but don't call me a fake fan for expressing a little bit of chart related negativity. The only reason I even check this thread is because, as mentioned, I believe chart success is a somewhat good indicator of how memorable an era will be in the public eye, and I want Gaga to remain relevant and an icon forever. Otherwise, I couldn't care less. Chromatica is one of my favorite albums ever, regardless of weeks spent on BB200. Promise I won't bother y'all chartsters anymore after this post :poot:

i know we're in the CHARTS thread but i feel like people don't fully grasp how relative the charts are. not all peaks are made the same.

like, ROM got the #1 but BR didn't – is anyone seriously going to argue ROM is a bigger hit because it charted higher? ROM got the #1 where Don't Start Now didn't, but Don't Start Now is still charting higher despite being released 7 months earlier.

I think what @The Clown is saying is that ARTPOP constantly gets shat on as a career misstep and commercial failure, when it was anything but a failure.It was relatively less successful than her prior 3 eras, but like they pointed out, 2013 was a watershed year for today's music landscape. Certs and chart peaks can be wildly misleading – Thriller and Applause both peaked at #4 on the Hot 100. If I just threw that out there without mentioning things like longevity, how the charts were metric'd at the time, what other songs each was competing against, and how long it stayed at its peak, then you just might think Thriller and Applause had the same impact – which, clearly, they did not.

Chromatica is by no means a flop, but using that same logic, ARTPOP was certainly no flop either, and that's the fallacy – people love to **** on ARTPOP as a career misstep and commercial failure. If that's the case, then Chromatica is necessarily a flop, because their commercial success will probably end up being about the same (again, as measured by the charts and sales).

So, if you strip away all the exterior garbage that happened to Gaga during the ARTPOP era (DWUW music debacle, Troy, hip pain, the app fiasco, Roar vs. Applause) and look purely at how it charted, it's about on par with Chromatica.

ROM hit #1 but stayed in the Top 10 for 4 weeks; Applause never hit #1 but was in the Top 10 for 14 consecutive weeks. Which is the bigger hit?

Stupid Love debuted at #5 and stayed on the Hot 100 for 10 weeks; DWUW peaked at #13 but stayed on the chart for 20 weeks. Which is the bigger hit?

ARTPOP debuted with 258,000 copies sold and, despite being released in November, was the 9th best-selling album worldwide of 2013 selling 2.3 million copies in a little under 2 months. Chromatica debuted with a comparable 274,000 copies, and remains to be seen where it ends up on the year end list.

Chromatica is absolutely not a flop. Pop music is dying and the fact that it's done as well as it has is no small feat. But ya gotta keep it in perspective lol you can't call ARTPOP a flop while simultaneously singing Chromatica's commerical praises.

They're about the same commercially. Crucially, Gaga's in a much better place with the GP than in 2013, and Chromatica benefits hugely from not being wrapped in a "reserve-Warholian" container, or being dragged down with ambitious ideas that would ultimately go unfulfilled.

I dont want to be rude here, but why are we exactly comparing ARTPOP and Chromatica ?

They might have a similar chart run so far, but they were released in completely different times

ARTPOP was released in 2013, where digital, while declining, where still dominant. Spotify was barely a thing back then. Pop artists in general were also still dominating. 

Chromatica was released in 2020, where digital sales are almost dead, and Spotify is dominating the industry. Rappers and 'urban' music is largely dominating as well, and the industry is more than ever male-dominated. This week for example :

Only 19% of the Hot 100 are songs from female artist. Only 11% are songs from female pop artists.

Album-wise only 15% of the album in the top 100 are from female artists. Furthermore, only four or five album are 'pop'  albums.

Im not trying to 'defend' Chromatica here, but I think that its safe to assume any female pop artist who released an album in 2013 probably has a worse chart run now than in 2013 (and thats if they are lucky enough to still be on the charts or have hot 100 entries). Its also safe to say that 'pure' pop female artists in general are struggling in 2020.

6 hours ago, The Clown said:

What the hell is up with Chromatica falling like a rock this quickly? It excedeed all expectations during the first 2-3 weeks, then it started falling like crazy, to the point it might actually perform worse than ARTPOP and Joanne by year-end.

The album chart on iTunes has been transformed into a "must have: the world's greatest albums" selection. Today there are only three new releases out of the top ten, the rest have 1000-3000 days on the chart. We should be glad that thanks to TV broadcasts, ASIB is constantly on the chart.

More generally, as many have already noted, album sales are dead after the first few weeks.

Chromatica with 2.1m worldwide sales is a successful album of course! 

In other news, on Spotify, Shallow is coming for Congratulations (by Post Malone) 

Shallow - 1.239 B

Congratulations - 1.249 B

(last week there was a difference of 15m and now it's just 10m)

Stream babes! 

I will fly on a challenger across the sky like a phoenix..

malazam
41 minutes ago, n1kos said:

Chromatica with 2.1m worldwide sales is a successful album of course! 

In other news Shallow is coming for Congratulations (by Post Malone) 

Shallow - 1.239 B

Congratulations - 1.249 B

(last week there was a difference of 15m and now it's just 10m)

Stream babes! 

You mean units right? Anyway, we don't have a source for that 2.1m..

another shot before we kiss the other side

• SharkmanthaC locked this topic
  • PartySick unpinned and pinned this topic
  • PartySick unpinned this topic

Archived