Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP, bad or misunderstood?

Roronoa

Featured Posts

Acid Wonderland

We must also not overlook the conditions and the cultural context in which it came out. This album was released at a time when people were getting tired of the sugary pop sound, hip-hop had a revival and its influences were becoming more and more present in pop music, the two genres were starting to blend together with Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus putting out more trap influenced music, ARTPOP seemed to be out of place with what was popping at the time. 

It should have been released in late 2011-early 2012 instead. That sound was already tired in 2013. It's an album that's so harmless in the way it's produced, so generic and uninteresting, they tried to surf on the brostep and complextro house trend but they weren't able to or didn't want to push the boundaries of the musical genre they were trying to do.. The album is too safe and conformed in its subjects and musical influences it covers. For an album that was named ARTPOP i excepted so much more. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NeedUMoreThanX

It’s my least favorite, mostly because it’s over-produced, but there are a few good songs on it. I think she just wasn’t in the right headspace, which heavily impacted the album. I agree that the songs are a lot better live. 

TyYoshi
2 minutes ago, NeedUMoreThanX said:

It’s my least favorite, mostly because it’s over-produced, but there are a few good songs on it. I think she just wasn’t in the right headspace, which heavily impacted the album. I agree that the songs are a lot better live. 

I feel like BTW is over-produced while ARTPOP is... too much toyed with-produced:cryga:

While Chromatica is the most Polished, Sleek-produced :vegas:

GregJA

Chromatica is superior - feels like a refined ARTPOP mixed with previous eras 

ARTPOP is not bad though, it’s misunderstood.

maybe

we would understand it better with ARTPOP ACT II :selena:

Mr. No Award Winner 2020

ryhanna

I'd say bad, honestly. 

There's moments of really good stuff in there but it just gets drowned out by so much excessive noise and ideas that don't have much, if any direction. It's all a bit faux-artistic, like she was trying to say something profound but ended up just... looking like someone trying to say something profound. 

I think through a bit of soul searching since then she's realised that she doesn't have to take herself that seriously. ARTPOP felt like a pop musician trying to force people to recognise that she's more than what people think she is by overcompensating. Chromatica feels like she's just willing to do her thing and let people figure that our for themselves. 

MetalGaga

I can’t put these two albums against each other because they are so different top to bottom. The energy on Chromatica is way different than ARTPOP and that energy resonates differently with each person. 

The Gaga at 2:36. That raw aggression isn’t on Chromatica and it doesn’t need to be but stuff like this is what makes ARTPOP amazing. They are two different beasts. 

gat damn I love ARTPOP though 

RichAssPiss

It's easily one of her best. The tides were turning in pop culture and her theatricality and intelligence were very out of fashion at the time. Music wanted something simpler, more casual. Miley was the pop superstar of 2013 and her attitude was very low maintenance, young, and irresponsible. Gaga trying to teach kids about Koons and Abramovic was considered hammy and try hard. But she did great work with ARTPOP. It became cool to dislike her and she saw that. Which is why she went away so long afterward.

hardcore1996

It’s weird because all my friends that arent gaga stans LOVE ARTPOP. When it came out we would have parties every friday and always be bopping to songs off this album. It always ended up with this very diverse group of people drunkenly singing the wrong lyrics to dope at the end of the night. 

I dont think it was even misunderstood or doing bad, she was doing amazing but sadly things got to her and effected her.

PrettiestStar

C'mon, you know that if ARTPOP was released after Chromatica, everyone would've loved it without a question. ARTPOP was way ahead of it's time :madge:

Anderson123
12 hours ago, Acid Wonderland said:

We must also not overlook the conditions and the cultural context in which it came out. This album was released at a time when people were getting tired of the sugary pop sound, hip-hop had a revival and its influences were becoming more and more present in pop music, the two genres were starting to blend together with Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus putting out more trap influenced music, ARTPOP seemed to be out of place with what was popping at the time. 

It should have been released in late 2011-early 2012 instead. That sound was already tired in 2013. It's an album that's so harmless in the way it's produced, so generic and uninteresting, they tried to surf on the brostep and complextro house trend but they weren't able to or didn't want to push the boundaries of the musical genre they were trying to do.. The album is too safe and conformed in its subjects and musical influences it covers. For an album that was named ARTPOP i excepted so much more. 

Born This Way was released in mid 2011. I can't imagine ARTPOP coming out so soon and Gaga moving on from BTW so fast. I guess it should've come at the end of 2012 the earliest but things happened for a reason. The Fame/TFM dominating 2010, then Born This Way 2011 and then ARTPOP so soon would've probably ended her in such a bad mental and physical state.

Yeah I think ARTPOP the album and her ideas were too soon in her career but maybe the right time. I can't see her releasing this album in her 30's, she was being rebellious at that time so it was a hit or miss, stuff happening behind scenes also had so much to do with it. I wonder what would've happened if she released Chromatica in 2013.

Dominic

ARTPOP will forever be my favourite era which says a lot considering it was cut short. 

I loved her interviews, outfits, performances, persona. Princess High is an icon.

However, whilst I love the music so, so much  I really think it hasnt aged the best. I dont think its bad or misunderstood as that would mean it was ever understood. I see the era and the music as more of a fiery candle that burnt bright too quickly. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

PlasticDollGirl

ARTPOP is her best album 

The queen of Gagadaily. Keepin it real

Archived