⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
science

Scientists study blue whale distribution patterns (New Zeeeland)

FfFfFfFF

shutterstock_541304191-730x410.jpg

A new study from Oregon State University has revealed that global warming influences the distribution of blue whales by altering ocean conditions and the availability of prey.

The research was focused on a population of blue whales that was recently discovered by the OSU team in New Zealand. 

“These whales don’t move around at random. We found that the same ocean patterns that determine where whales are also determine where their prey are, under both typical and warm ocean conditions.” 

2020_5$largeimg_894071625.jpg

The new whale population documented by the researchers was found to be genetically distinct from other blue whales. The group lives primarily in the South Taranaki Bight between New Zealand’s North and South Islands.

The research also revealed that during both warm and typical ocean conditions, the whales were more likely to feed in areas where the water was cooler. 

“Documenting information like this can really help us understand how to reduce threats to these animals,” said Professor Torres.

Source: https://www.earth.com/news/blue-whales-follow-their-prey-as-ocean-conditions-change/

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

Blastertoyo

m37dy6HOKpNR9CoApRxjCYA-xFGhS9TcBaw0fGLd

• LMAO 6

Helxig

NEW ZEALAND. I live there 

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 2

Taylucifer
1 hour ago, Helxig said:

NEW ZEALAND. I live there 

:firega:

Helxig
33 minutes ago, Taylucifer said:

:firega:

I was just reacting the way we all do when our country is mentioned anywhere :laughga:  "THAT'S US"

Taylucifer
12 hours ago, Helxig said:

I was just reacting the way we all do when our country is mentioned anywhere :laughga:  "THAT'S US"

we love to see it tho:staymad:

• YAAAS 1

Helxig
9 hours ago, Taylucifer said:

we love to see it tho:staymad:

Considering world maps in a lot of movies completely remove our country :laughga:  so easily excited

Taylucifer
29 minutes ago, Helxig said:

Considering world maps in a lot of movies completely remove our country :laughga:  so easily excited

we are fine:vegas:

• Like 1