Sign in to follow this  
opinion

More Innovative: BTW or Chromatica

Better   

93 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

Aarghya
Posted (edited)

The battle between Lady Gaga's two fantastic, well-crafted, creative albums BORN THIS WAY and Chromatica. Which album is more creative in production, lyrics and singing? State your opinion! 

Edited by Aarghya
You'll never get to Heaven if you're scared of getting high

Miel

BTW, for sure.

I think it mostly lies in its thematic content during the time it was released (hell, even now). It is unrepentantly and TEXTUALLY pro-queer, pro-immigrant, pro-self expression. For a mainstream artist only three years into her career, and during a time where mainstream pop severely shied away from such topics- it was major.

Chromatica is lovely, and in a sense I do think it has a small, risky tendency as a whole (house-heavy dance-pop in the age of popular music that is the complete opposite). But while the lyricism is incredible and her vocal performance is good, it's not particularly as kooky or innovative as BTW. That's not a bad thing, though.

3 points in and ready for more
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Blastertoyo

Born This Way invented Chromatica 

• Like 1
  • LMAO 4
  • YAAAS 3
  • Love 1

Anderson123

Born This Way without a doubt. It was big song after big song and so over the top, I love it. I don't think she's ever going to top this project.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Delaytica
Posted (edited)

BTW. 

I love Chromatica, but I have to say that one of the only "innovative" things about the album is that Gaga did dance pop again :billie:

Edited by Delaytica
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

pop ate my heart
Posted (edited)

BTW for sure. But Chromatica doesn't fall behind tho. Although there are a lot of typical house songs on the album, I've NEVER heard anything like what's on Act II (except for SC) and Sine from Above (trust, I heard a LOT). They're not completely futuristic and experimental like BTW as it's very rooted in 90's and even 00's pop, but still, the production, the melodies, so dense and compressed yet somehow feel spacious and clean (which BTW lacked). Very layered and interesting. Love EVERYTHING about it. It's definitely experimental for her standards, she's never done songs like this ever:queenga:

Edited by pop ate my heart
am i-e-i-e-i-e-i-e-i-e-i-p-plastic
  • Like 2
  • Shook 1

Aarghya
4 minutes ago, Miel said:

BTW, for sure.

I think it mostly lies in its thematic content during the time it was released (hell, even now). It is unrepentantly and TEXTUALLY pro-queer, pro-immigrant, pro-self expression. For a mainstream artist only three years into her career, and during a time where mainstream pop severely shied away from such topics- it was major.

Chromatica is lovely, and in a sense I do think it has a small, risky tendency as a whole (house-heavy dance-pop in the age of popular music that is the complete opposite). But while the lyricism is incredible and her vocal performance is good, it's not particularly as kooky or innovative as BTW. That's not a bad thing, though.

3 minutes ago, Anderson123 said:

Born This Way without a doubt. It was big song after big song and so over the top, I love it. I don't think she's ever going to top this project.

I fully agree with you all.. I never ever hear any kind of innovation like Heavy Metal Lover, Scheiße, Bloody Mary, Government Hooker, Electric Chapel through production and lyrics. The sincerity and passion Gaga reflected through each and every songs always make me happy to acknowledge BTW exists! 

• Like 3

Aarghya

Can we get another these three, please GAGA!

• YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 2

Judas Society

Definitely BTW. Chromatica is a great album because of it's accessibility but it's also very mild in experimentation, or should we say, little to none experimentation. BTW is a complete body of work in terms of lyricism, activism, sonic-bending artistic expression.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Amphetamine

BTW for sure. You have to factor in the social/political climate at the time it was released. DADT was still in effect and gay marriage still wouldn't be legalized for years. Nowadays it's not at all controversial for musicians to be vocal about the gay community, but a decade ago it was definitely more of a touchy subject, and she was so in your face about it. 

Aside from the social implications it's musically innovate as well. It has influences from rock, gospel, disco, and industrial music. No other mainstream pop star was doing anything even remotely like that.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

androiduser

BTW for sure

Chromatica is very referential and based on innovations from the past (Gaga's past and dance music in general).

Also, Chromatica is very cohesive, everything flows and fits together almost "too much" (being a short album saves it from being repetitive) so there was no room for much risk-taking sound-wise.

• Like 2

ImTired

Chromatica is definitely more chill. I dig that. 

BTW is one of my least favorite Gaga albums though. 

But I'd have to give it to BTW for innovation. For some reason people could 👏not👏stop👏talking about the sax in EOG. And the country in You and I. It was a glitter bomb. Nothing like it. 

• Like 2

joannesrats

BTW was more revolutionary, but Chromatica is more cohesive in sound AND message.

• Like 2

ImTired

But we love ALL our children, dont we monsters? :triggered:

• LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1