opinion

Gaga Has Lost Her Lyrical Fire

jprince99x

Featured Posts

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gagi

Shred me apart little shredders but I never thought of Gaga as the best songwriter ever.

I love her to death and the melodies she writes are super catchy but her lyrics (to me) were never more than average pop song texts.

There are a few exceptions, but all in all her songs don’t shine because of the lyrics for me.

2School4Cool

I respect your opinion but I find Chromatica to have her best and most poetic, raw, and powerful lyrics to date, and she’s always been a brilliant lyricist. I find myself referring to them as stanzas as opposed to verses because of how poetic they are.

“Feeling something that I can’t explain, think it’s a wound I still entertain,
I’d do anything to numb the flame, I guess I’m just on fire these days,
I can’t see straight, I can’t see me, there’s too much hurt caught in between,
Wish I could be what I know I am, this moment’s highjacked my plans.”

“I’d do anything for you to really see me, 
I am human, invisibly bleeding,
When your smile is shaking, I’ll catch you as you fall.
Life me up, give me a start,
 ‘Cause I’ve been flying with some broken arms,
Life me up, just a small nudge,
And I’ll be flying like a thousand doves.”

“When I was young I prayed for light night,
My mother said it would come and find me,
I found myself without a prayer, I lost my love and no one cared,
When I was young I prayed for lightning.”

“Keep my dolls inside diamond boxes,
Save ‘em ‘til I know I’m gonna drop this front I’ve build around me,
Oasis, paradise is in my hands.
Holding on so tight to this status, 
It’s not real but I’ll try to grab it,
Keep myself in beautiful places,
Paradise is in my hands.”

“Open-minded, I’m so blinded,
Mystery man, woman phantom,
Violet light smears the atmosphere,
I’m so scared, but I’m standing here.
Can’t stop staring, I’m so naked,
Wrapped in shadows, my heart races,
Dragon’s eyes watch goddess breathing,
Give me something to believe in.”

She could have released this album as a book of poetry!

See The Best In Everyone

JustTea
1 hour ago, jprince99x said:

The only song that I feel that "fire" from is Babylon, and even that song is overtaken by lines that don't make sense to me

"Body's moving like a sculpture"

how does a body move like a sculpture? Sculptures are completely still, they don't move 

jprince99x
10 minutes ago, damag said:

Someone is in need of attention today. 

@LGs LM :cryga:

I've literally thought about this thread over the weekend, discussed the topic with my gaga friends in a groupchat. I don't care about ****ing attention lol. I was expecting this thread to get like 3 replies :icega:

Let’s have some fun this beat is Sapokanikan

GipJo
14 minutes ago, Gagi said:

Shred me apart little shredders but I never thought of Gaga as the best songwriter ever.

I love her to death and the melodies she writes are super catchy but her lyrics (to me) were never more than average pop song texts.

There are a few exceptions, but all in all her songs don’t shine because of the lyrics for me.

She is considered as one of the best song-writer because her lyrics are so different and weird, you can literally call it Gaga-ism.

She is not a typical Taylor Swift storytelling type of writer, nor Sufjan Stevens poetry type of writer, but that doesn't mean she isn't one of the best song-writer, her song-writer hall of fame award proves that even industry thinks so. I guess it's just not your type.

1 hour ago, GipJo said:

She always has weird lyrical expression, it's hit or miss all the time, and I love her for that. You just pick a miss in Chromatica and compare it to a hit in BTW.

Yes, agreed.

Kudos to the OP though, someone who clearly cares.

Would it be fair to say as well that the basic sound of the album is light and boppy and maybe that takes away from the gravitas of the lyrics.

Daylight Jokers
3 minutes ago, jprince99x said:

@LGs LM :cryga:

I've literally thought about this thread over the weekend, discussed the topic with my gaga friends in a groupchat. I don't care about ****ing attention lol. I was expecting this thread to get like 3 replies :icega:

This site has been negative the entire day. Then about an hour later after finally having one good news (ROM going #1), this got posted. And why tag me, not the person who actually said you needed attention?

jprince99x
1 minute ago, GipJo said:

She is considered as one of the best song-writer because her lyrics are so different and weird, you can literally call it Gaga-ism.

She is not a typical Taylor Swift storytelling type of writer, nor Sufjan Stevens poetry type of writer, but that doesn't mean she isn't one of the best song-writer, her song-writer hall of fame award proves that even industry thinks so. I guess it's just not your type.

Being different and weird never made anyone a better songwriter. Gaga's strengths show when she is out to prove herself as an artist. In chromatica gaga is trying to achieve something different, the lyrics are coming from a different place that she's never fully explored before. She isn't trying to prove anything on this record, she is trying to make sense of her life, sobriety, and fame. She won that award for songs like Born This Way - which touched the lives of millions. You can rate songwriting based on skill and creativity, but at the end of the day the songs that will be most remembered are the ones with impact. Sadly I don't think any song from chromatica will achieve this level of impact.

Let’s have some fun this beat is Sapokanikan

steven

All I have to say is be thankful we didn’t get lyrics like You just had a salad today, Boulangerie with Chromatica this time. :trollga:

glagerfeld

Too long to read , it actually has one of her best lyrics even the metaphors she used ugh her mind

ICouldntThinkOfOne

As much as this album is made up of more direct lyrics, that doesn't take away from the impact in my opinion.

The biggest difference between this album and BTW is that the lyrics in chromatica focus on her and her struggles.

But if you're looking for descriptive, 911 says hello? 

AyaKara

I agree, BTW and ARTPOP both had better lyrics, and I prefer the deeper songs on Chromatica due to their lyrics (Replay, 911).

That said, I think Gaga purposely sacrificed lyrical depth on Chromatica. One of the themes of Chromatica is 'no one thing is greater than another'; I like to think that she also means herself in relation to other people, and through this album has shown that she shares the same feelings, thoughts, and fears that other people do. And that's the point -- so we can all dance through our pain like she is.

• Admin locked this topic

Archived