⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
science

Dinosaur species suspected to be a cannibal

FfFfFfFF

fark_42DehSSOn27BPkeiijrVX-iEsl4.jpg?AWS

About nine metres long, with grasping claws and a skull it used like a hatchet, Allosaurus was among the most fearsome dinosaurs of the Jurassic period. Now, it seems, the animal could also have been a cannibal.

Fossil researchers have revealed that bite marks found in a cache of dinosaur bones from the Mygatt-Moore quarry, western Colorado, were made by dinosaur-on-dinosaur dining. And the marks on Allosaurus bones had potentially been made by dinosaurs of their own kind.

allosaurus-cannibalism-2309443.adapt.190

Writing in the journal Plos One, Drumheller-Horton and colleagues report how they examined 2,368 fossilised bones previously dug up at the quarry, which dates to about 152m years ago, encompassing the late Jurassic period.

The team found 684 of the fossils, 29% of the cache, had at least one bite mark such as a score, pit or puncture, and the marks were present on many bones, from ribs and long limbs to toes.

allosaurus-cannibalism-0686.adapt.590.1. allosaurus-cannibalism-allosaurus-tibia-

Dr Stephen Brusatte, a palaeontologist at the University of Edinburgh, who was not involved in the work, said the cache was an unprecedented record of what theropod dinosaurs had been eating.

“It’s most intriguing that there are Allosaurus bones with big bite marks that are a good match for the size and shape of Allosaurus teeth,” Brusatte said. “Although it’s not completely conclusive that Allosaurus was the biter, it is one of the most reasonable conclusions – unless there was a completely unknown mega-theropod that was sharing this ecosystem with it and the others.”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/may/27/allosaurus-dinosaur-suspected-to-be-scavenging-cannibal

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1

Red

Gaga: party like it's BC

Me: no thanks

Nobody is gonna kill me if I don’t open the door
  • LMAO 1

Eighteen

isn't it kind of a sad commentary on life in general? like what's the point of the universe creating life when all it does is consume and destroy anything and everything in order to preserve itself :selena:

Chromatislaps

aw cute, the ancestors of chickens ate eachother... nothing much has changed in those millions of years

• Like 1

Vitleysingur

Fits Madonna's personnel perfectly:billie:

Dreams of you and me are in the dirt.