⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
science

Rare butterfly returns to Manchester after 150 years

FfFfFfFF
Posted (edited)

EY9zu_wWAAIQJFm.jpg

Large heath butterflies are returning to peatlands in greater Manchester 150 years after they went locally extinct.

Conservationists from Lancashire Wildlife Trust are now looking to reverse the fortunes of this rare butterfly by restoring a 37-hectare area of peatland between Wigan and Salford where they have recreated habitats of sphagnum moss, cross-leaved heath and hare’s-tail cottongrass on which the butterflies depend. 

4799.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

Last summer, staff collected six female butterflies from a population at Winmarleigh moss near Garstang and took them to Chester zoo. The caterpillars spent winter feeding on cotton grass and 45 hand-reared pupae are now being released on to a secret site where they will be kept in protected tents while they emerge from their pupae. 

“It will be incredibly rewarding to see large heath butterflies fluttering around in their new home – a place where they’ve been missing for more than 100 years – and know that we’ve contributed to preventing their extinction in this area.”

_112554719_whatsubject.jpg

“In Victorian times there were literally thousands of these butterflies in the mossy areas around Manchester. This reintroduction part of a wider effort to get native wildlife back in the right areas … It just seemed right that if we could get Manchester’s butterfly back to the mosses that’s something we should do. Everyone here is absolutely over the moon about this.” 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/29/large-heath-butterflies-return-to-manchester-after-150-years

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 2

GaGaAst
Posted (edited)

sis came to listen Chromatica 

Edited by GaGaAst
Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs
  • YAAAS 2

Lord Temptation

The butterfly must have heard Sine From Above :enigma:

Pop Music

honestly Rare Butterfly sounds like the next iteration of The Butterfly Returns Las Vegas Residency by Mariah where she only performs deep cuts and b sides 

i'd live :worship2: 

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Marina 💝Britney 💝Shania 💝Disney 💝Lush 💝Corey Fogelmanis
  • LMAO 1