Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

I completely underestimated BlackPink (Sour Candy)

xoxo Craig

Featured Posts

xoxo Craig

So back when it was rumoured that they were collaborating with Gaga, I was taken back. I don't necessarily enjoy KPop and when it was confirmed, Gaga x BlackPink was the collaboration I was most worried about. I kept thinking that it would be a cringey hot mess.

But, as we got closer to the album, I let that go and was open minded with the collaboration. 

Sour Candy is one of the album highlights for me (there are many). The production is so sickening, so dope, so grungey. BlackPink is perfect for this song. The sweet sugary 'cute' vocals are in direct contrast with Gaga's harder belts and her harsher talking voice. Both of them really make the song stand out in the album. BlackPink really play the part of the 'candy' and Gaga plays the 'sour' or 'hard to get girl'. It just works, and leaves me floored every time I listen to it. I can't think of any western pop girl that could give it like BP did. And it makes sense to merge one of the biggest eastern acts with arguably the biggest Western act of our time.

My ONLY criticism of Sour Candy is that its too short. If the song was 3:00, I'd love it even more... like give it an outro or something. But having said that, the song is an easy 10/10. 

"take a bite take a bite... sour candy"

End Racism Now

AMENiCURE

Completely agreed. This track is an amazing banger and a complete standout. It's already perfect but my criticism of this track is same as yours. It's criminally too short. They could've added a rap verse atleast. But this is really a banger and I don't even feel right complaining an inch about the track lol.

Gracious Gaga

I would prefer a new song created around gaga's parts and take out the swish swish sounding 2016 trend synth and then we got a great gaga track :ally:

for me the song was a hot mess :noparty:

I'm so happy you loved the song though!!! I envy u! lol <3 

♥ Kindness Police.

GaGaAst

i like BP's part and gaga's equally. Both slayed. As u said it should have been longer.  it so needed a kickass bridge 

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

xoxo Craig
1 minute ago, Gracious Gaga said:

I would prefer a new song created around gaga's parts and take out the swish swish sounding 2016 trend synth and then we got a great gaga track :ally:

for me the song was a hot mess :noparty:

I'm so happy you loved the song though!!! I envy u! lol <3 

I mean, I don't think it does sound like Swish Swish at all... if anything, it sounds closer to this track 

Its a common house beat, but the way Blood (and the rest of the producers) make this song makes it less generic. The track instrumental goes hard man :nooo:

End Racism Now

Gracious Gaga
3 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

I mean, I don't think it does sound like Swish Swish at all... if anything, it sounds closer to this track 

Its a common house beat, but the way Blood (and the rest of the producers) make this song makes it less generic. The track instrumental goes hard man :nooo:

yes!! this! theres a lot of songs that have that sound , swish swish was the only song I knew the name to though LOL 

but click play and you should hear the similarity in swish swish , its def there ! 

♥ Kindness Police.

Daylight Jokers

It's personally my least favorite song from the album and I was looking forward to it. It's actually a good track, it's just that...it's too short and it feels too short. BLACKPINK and Gaga also didn't have a line together in the song. It almost felt like a mashup. They should've extended it a minute longer and added an explosive chorus in the end where they're all singing together. 

xoxo Craig
15 minutes ago, LGs LM said:

It's personally my least favorite song from the album and I was looking forward to it. It's actually a good track, it's just that...it's too short, and BLACKPINK and Gaga also didn't have a line together in the song. It almost felt like a mashup. They should've extended it a minute longer and added an explosive chorus in the end where they're all singing together. 

Yeah I can see this... if they added a bridge where someone was rapping, and then an outro with BP and Gaga together, it would probably be seismic 

End Racism Now

Daylight Jokers
2 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

Yeah I can see this... if they added a bridge where someone was rapping, qnd then an outro with BP and Gaga together, it would probably be seismic 

My friend who is a huge BLINK (gurl bought the vinyl, cassette, and deluxe CD just because of the collab lol) said there are rumors about an extended version where both Jenny and Lisa (I think) have rap parts. Not sure if it's true, but it's a rumor surrounding around BP's fanbase.

heygurlhi

For me it feels like 2 diffrend songs that they mashed togther, y'all overhyped blackpink a bit for me i think, its meh atleast :ohwell:

Ignore me i drink

Economy

I love it too

I was actually inclined to think it was good cuz I like K-Pop and some of Blackpinks songs (I searched them up out of curiosity since they were collaborating with Gaga)

And I wasn't disappointed!

I still like Rain On Me even more tho

Yurikuma

I love this song, but I agree that it should be longer. It's just such ear candy (:billie:) and could've had so much more Blackpink :(

mister max
5 minutes ago, LGs LM said:

My friend who is a huge BLINK (gurl bought the vinyl, cassette, and deluxe CD just because of the collab lol) said there are rumors about an extended version where both Jenny and Lisa (I think) have rap parts. Not sure if it's true, but it's a rumor surrounding around BP's fanbase.

Spoiler

that rumor originated to make people listen to the album version which 'had a jenlisa rap' :lmao: I love being a blink

Buy ARTPOP on itunes or smth?

President Biden

:staymad: OMG SAME

Tbh I don’t dislike KPop, I listened to Blackpink this week in preparation and quite enjoyed it. I do think it’s hard for us to appreciate as much without knowing the language. I certainly didn’t appreciate Latin pop as much as I do now what I am mostly fluent in the language.

But Sour Candy is GREAT. I mean, not my favorite track truthfully, but still a solid banger that’s growing on me. I think with most if the album being crazy upbeat, it makes for a nice calmer song

I got drunk

Archived