⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
other

Gaga explains every song from Chromatica on Spotify

ultradim
Posted (edited)

As you may already know, Lady Gaga put a storyline for every song from Chromatica on Spotify explaining the meaning of each one of them. I transcripted them below for those who don't have Spotify: 

CHROMATICA I:
(1) Every journey, I believe, begins with an element of triumph. (2) I win and fail all the time. They're both meaningful. They both inform me. They're equally epic.

ALICE:
(1) In order to do hard things, we have to be willing to try. Sometimes trying involves dreaming. (2) Some of us, I to be certain, must be able to imagine the greatness that's revealed within us when we overcome obstacles. (3) Otherwise, what's the point? (4) When we are sad, this is more difficult, but I recall that there's always Wonderland. (5) Remember that old story about Alice?

STUPID LOVE:
(1) The core issue that's been the driving connective force behind all things I do is love. (2) I've always wanted it, and can never have enough of it. I've been told I'm a love addict. (3) Fine. I'm addicted to love. Is that so bad? (4) Because isn't there freedom in simply acknowledging that my need for love is a bottomless pit?

RAIN ON ME: 
(1) Sometimes I've thought I've cried so many tears that that's all I was anymore - a fountain for misery to cycle through. (2) I'd rather that not be true, but at least I'm alive. I'm grateful for that. (3) Tears can be teachers if we let them.

FREE WOMAN:
(1) As someone who generally prefers things to be genderless, (2) I ponder often why I chose to declare my womanhood in this song. (3) I've realized that question is futile. Woman could be synonymous with any creative force. (4) I'm proud of my womb, proud of yours, and proud of those who were born without wombs and have phantom ones. (5) Every gender has a spirit womb. (6) I believe this is hinged on creating with three things the same way a door has three hinges: (7) a steady hand, knowing you can, and not needing a relationship to define your power. (8) Before you know it if you are closed, you can open, just like a door.

FUN TONIGHT:
(1) When you listen to this song (2) imagine you're singing to yourself.

CHROMATICA II:
(1) I believe it's in the middle of our voyages as people that things become both terrifying and whimsical at the same time. (2) I felt life was asking the impossible of me, which I think I'm not alone in feeling. (3) So I was scared, but I believe in magic. So, I wrote this interlude as a reminder that my magic was working. (4) I believe that means yours is too. 

911:
(1) I take an anti-psychotic. I have neuropathic pain and regular trauma responses. (2) In order to keep me safe from addiction I am not permitted to take any pain pills, so I take this instead. (3) Do not take anti-psychotic unless directed to do so by your doctor, as I do not wish to glamorize anguish.

PLASTIC DOLL:
(1) Pop culture objectifies artists by attributing labels and grouping us into categories. (2) As a result of this, society expects us to perform like the archetypes we've created (3) by stealing our narrative from us and attempting to re-write it. (4) Many of us know what's going on. I am aware, I am a plastic doll. (5) Some people in the world believe I belong to them in a box to play with. (6) It hurts.

SOUR CANDY:
(1) I resent that women are often expected to always be sweet or we're called b*tches. (2) This song is an analog for that sentiment, and a polite middle finger. 

ENIGMA:
(1) The genesis of Lady Gaga as how I identify is something I've grappled with ever since I was 19. (2) I don't know why I need this transformation to happen other than that the design of Lady Gaga is decidedly rebellious. (3) I can break any stigmas about me at any time because I will constantly transform to escape them. (4) This process by which I exist is a mystery to me, but I'm starting to understand it. I'm even starting to own it. (5) I will always be misunderstood. Because I want to be.

REPLAY:
(1) I refused to not allow this song to be on the album. Sure, I'm the "boss". (2) But really Chromatica cannot exist without an abstract explanation of what it's like to be triggered if you have PTSD. (3) It's a replay of all my monsters, not the little ones. (4) And the very thing that has plagued my mind for years, trauma, is precisely the thing that now powers my life force to be braver. (5) i.e. this voice I hear: "continue to make music although your brain feels like it's breaking sometimes".

CHROMATICA III: 
(1) My sister and I agree that dysfunctional systems are all led by the same calm that precedes all storms. (2) It's sneaky, unassuming. (3) And I like to focus on what I can control versus what I'm powerless to. Obviously, people are not included. (4) I believe this music to be an expression of an understanding that in life, things will be hard. (5) But many hard things are also followed by revelations. 

SINE FROM ABOVE: 
(1) This song is the revelation I had during the album making process that reminded me it is actually the root of all my revelations. (2) Sine is a function that expresses sound. (3) I open a portal to the other realm whenever I write a song, a portal that is a conduit for sound and language. (4) This song is about not only my music making process, but also about how I survive. I survive through music. (5) I always have, and no matter how much I change or things change around me, that is always still true. Sound is my god. 

1000 DOVES: 
(1) I wrote this song as a cry for help. (2) This song is a promise that I will continue to try just as I did in the beginning when it was hard. (3) it acknowledges that we cannot do all things by ourselves. Sometimes we need help. That's ok. 

BABYLON:
(1) This is the dance celebration of the culmination of this album, but it's really the start that occurs after every finish. (2) When we've completed a task or defeated a challenge, the end is not the end. (3) This is a new journey, and in Chromatica I will dance my way through all the pain, (4) and every transition I make is into a new me, which is consistently a miracle. (5) I vow to always have something to celebrate. And frankly gossip is the hallmark of civilization. (6) Two people can't talk behind each other's backs, you need at least three people. (7) And something that used to haunt me - gossip - is now a silly construct I can dance through. (8) Babble on. I'll be in Babylon. Or Chromatica. 

 

I also took some screenshots so that you can see how this feature looks like. They are basically like instagram stories that artists can put on every song:
https://i.ibb.co/Gn0hsmV/Screenshot-20200529-111043-Spotify.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Wn3hsh7/Screenshot-20200529-111503-Spotify.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/zmHKmGx/Screenshot-20200529-111613-Spotify.jpg

Edited by ultradim
⚔️battle for your life ⚔️
  • Like 8
  • YAAAS 4
  • Love 23
  • Thanks 35

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
ultradim
Posted (edited)

btw i posted this under the wrong category, does anybody know how can i change it lol? 

Edited by ultradim
⚔️battle for your life ⚔️

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
OMonster

Thanks so much for this :pawsup:

Where do I find this track by track?

I can't see it on her Spotify... I just see The Chromatica Manifesto :bradley:

 

subtext / fantasy
  • LMAO 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
AyaKara

Thank you SO much for posting this! I love getting to hear her thoughts behind each and every song.

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowHunter

A huge takeaway from the album is that she is dismantling Gaga. She will continue to give what the fans want but it’s become the most self aware and dangerous it has ever been. ARTPOP could mean anything but my name isnt alice, she is saying don’t treat me like this alien object, like I’m a g-ddess, stop thr objectification. Which also means, stuff like GGD only perpetuates that view. I’m soon going to log off forever, that’s what Gaga wants an end to fakeness. We have to stop acting like we have anything in common except an unhealthy obsession. Dont get me wrong, I love her and Chromatica is her best album, but i think its time to turn over the page and call it a day w this site. Probably this is my goodbye post, its been 7 years GGD.... i think its time

  • Like 6
  • LMAO 1
  • Love 5
  • Sad 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skrill
7 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

A huge takeaway from the album is that she is dismantling Gaga. She will continue to give what the fans want but it’s become the most self aware and dangerous it has ever been. ARTPOP could mean anything but my name isnt alice, she is saying don’t treat me like this alien object, like I’m a g-ddess, stop thr objectification. Which also means, stuff like GGD only perpetuates that view. I’m soon going to log off forever, that’s what Gaga wants an end to fakeness. We have to stop acting like we have anything in common except an unhealthy obsession. Dont get me wrong, I love her and Chromatica is her best album, but i think its time to turn over the page and call it a day w this site. Probably this is my goodbye post, its been 7 years GGD.... i think its time

YOU'VE BEEN HERE FOR LITERALLY A MONTH, GURL WDYM LMAO

  • LMAO 11
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
AgusPop

Bravo @ultradim this is a fantastic job :applause:

This Album really is one of her best. very polished and well thought out and structured :firega:

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Indeciso

You should change the title? It doesn't reflect the content of the post. Thought it was your opinion, but it's the Spotify Canvas thing.

I'm shocked with the Sour Candy Visuals, it would almost feel like a video snippet :huh: because I refuse to think the put that much effort in a 5 second looped video :gum:

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skrill

This is amazing.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Indeciso
22 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

A huge takeaway from the album is that she is dismantling Gaga. She will continue to give what the fans want but it’s become the most self aware and dangerous it has ever been. ARTPOP could mean anything but my name isnt alice, she is saying don’t treat me like this alien object, like I’m a g-ddess, stop thr objectification. Which also means, stuff like GGD only perpetuates that view. I’m soon going to log off forever, that’s what Gaga wants an end to fakeness. We have to stop acting like we have anything in common except an unhealthy obsession. Dont get me wrong, I love her and Chromatica is her best album, but i think its time to turn over the page and call it a day w this site. Probably this is my goodbye post, its been 7 years GGD.... i think its time

Good bye, take care. I did the same some years ago.

:ally: ... but I came back.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Creyk

Thank you for writing this! Her explanation of Enigma is the most fascinating.

  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
ultradim
9 minutes ago, AgusPop said:

Bravo @ultradim this is a fantastic job :applause:

This Album really is one of her best. very polished and well thought out and structured :firega:

you're welcome. Do you happen to know how can I move the thread to the right category? I posted it under "Gaga thoughts" but I don't think that's the most appropriate one. 

⚔️battle for your life ⚔️

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
CookieHWilson
57 minutes ago, ultradim said:

As you may already know, Lady Gaga put a storyline for every song from Chromatica on Spotify explaining the meaning of each one of them. I transcripted them below for those who don't have Spotify: 

CHROMATICA I:
(1) Every journey, I believe, begins with an element of triumph. (2) I win and fail all the time. They're both meaningful. They both inform me. They're equally epic.

ALICE:
(1) In order to do hard things, we have to be willing to try. Sometimes trying involves dreaming. (2) Some of us, I to be certain, must be able to imagine the greatness that's revealed within us when we overcome obstacles. (3) Otherwise, what's the point? (4) When we are sad, this is more difficult, but I recall that there's always Wonderland. (5) Remember that old story about Alice?

STUPID LOVE:
(1) The core issue that's been the driving connective force behind all things I do is love. (2) I've always wanted it, and can never have enough of it. I've been told I'm a love addict. (3) Fine. I'm addicted to love. Is that so bad? (4) Because isn't there freedom in simply acknowledging that my need for love is a bottomless pit?

RAIN ON ME: 
(1) Sometimes I've thought I've cried so many tears that that's all I was anymore - a fountain for misery to cycle through. (2) I'd rather that not be true, but at least I'm alive. I'm grateful for that. (3) Tears can be teachers if we let them.

FREE WOMAN:
(1) As someone who generally prefers things to be genderless, (2) I ponder often why I chose to declare my womanhood in this song. (3) I've realized that question is futile. Woman could be synonymous with any creative force. (4) I'm proud of my womb, proud of yours, and proud of those who were born without wombs and have phantom ones. (5) Every gender has a spirit womb. (6) I believe this is hinged on creating with three things the same way a door has three hinges: (7) a steady hand, knowing you can, and not needing a relationship to define your power. (8) Before you know it if you are closed, you can open, just like a door.

FUN TONIGHT:
(1) When you listen to this song (2) imagine you're singing to yourself.

CHROMATICA II:
(1) I believe it's in the middle of our voyages as people that things become both terrifying and whimsical at the same time. (2) I felt life was asking the impossible of me, which I think I'm not alone in feeling. (3) So I was scared, but I believe in magic. So, I wrote this interlude as a reminder that my magic was working. (4) I believe that means yours is too. 

911:
(1) I take an anti-psychotic. I have neuropathic pain and regular trauma responses. (2) In order to keep me safe from addiction I am not permitted to take any pain pills, so I take this instead. (3) Do not take anti-psychotic unless directed to do so by your doctor, as I do not wish to glamorize anguish.

PLASTIC DOLL:
(1) Pop culture objectifies artists by attributing labels and grouping us into categories. (2) As a result of this, society expects us to perform like the archetypes we've created (3) by stealing our narrative from us and attempting to re-write it. (4) Many of us know what's going on. I am aware, I am a plastic doll. (5) Some people in the world believe I belong to them in a box to play with. (6) It hurts.

SOUR CANDY:
(1) I resent that women are often expected to always be sweet or we're called b*tches. (2) This song is an analog for that sentiment, and a polite middle finger. 

ENIGMA:
(1) The genesis of Lady Gaga as how I identify is something I've grappled with ever since I was 19. (2) I don't know why I need this transformation to happen other than that the design of Lady Gaga is decidedly rebellious. (3) I can break any stigmas about me at any time because I will constantly transform to escape them. (4) This process by which I exist is a mystery to me, but I'm starting to understand it. I'm even starting to own it. (5) I will always be misunderstood. Because I want to be.

REPLAY:
(1) I refused to not allow this song to be on the album. Sure, I'm the "boss". (2) But really Chromatica cannot exist without an abstract explanation of what it's like to be triggered if you have PTSD. (3) It's a replay of all my monsters, not the little ones. (4) And the very thing that has plagued my mind for years, trauma, is precisely the thing that now powers my life force to be braver. (5) i.e. this voice I hear: "continue to make music although your brain feels like it's breaking sometimes".

CHROMATICA III: 
(1) My sister and I agree that dysfunctional systems are all led by the same calm that precedes all storms. (2) It's sneaky, unassuming. (3) And I like to focus on what I can control versus what I'm powerless to. Obviously, people are not included. (4) I believe this music to be an expression of an understanding that in life, things will be hard. (5) But many hard things are also followed by revelations. 

SINE FROM ABOVE: 
(1) This song is the revelation I had during the album making process that reminded me it is actually the root of all my revelations. (2) Sine is a function that expresses sound. (3) I open a portal to the other realm whenever I write a song, a portal that is a conduit for sound and language. (4) This song is about not only my music making process, but also about how I survive. I survive through music. (5) I always have, and no matter how much I change or things change around me, that is always still true. Sound is my god. 

1000 DOVES: 
(1) I wrote this song as a cry for help. (2) This song is a promise that I will continue to try just as I did in the beginning when it was hard. (3) it acknowledges that we cannot do all things by ourselves. Sometimes we need help. That's ok. 

BABYLON:
(1) This is the dance celebration of the culmination of this album, but it's really the start that occurs after every finish. (2) When we've completed a task or defeated a challenge, the end is not the end. (3) This is a new journey, and in Chromatica I will dance my way through all the pain, (4) and every transition I make is into a new me, which is consistently a miracle. (5) I vow to always have something to celebrate. And frankly gossip is the hallmark of civilization. (6) Two people can't talk behind each other's backs, you need at least three people. (7) And something that used to haunt me - gossip - is now a silly construct I can dance through. (8) Babble on. I'll be in Babylon. Or Chromatica. 

 

I also took some screenshots so that you can see how this feature looks like. They are basically like instagram stories that artists can put on every song:
https://i.ibb.co/Gn0hsmV/Screenshot-20200529-111043-Spotify.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Wn3hsh7/Screenshot-20200529-111503-Spotify.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/zmHKmGx/Screenshot-20200529-111613-Spotify.jpg

u a hottie

Insta: pierfedericomiozzo
  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
ultradim

Wondering if "Fun Tonight" could be about Christian Carino as they're discussing on Twitter. She gave us a pretty decent explanation for every track, except for that one. I believe the lyrics are way more complex to simply describe it with "When you listen to this song imagine you're singing to yourself". Is she trying to avoid to talk about it? 

⚔️battle for your life ⚔️
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
March34th
12 minutes ago, ultradim said:

Wondering if "Fun Tonight" could be about Christian Carino as they're discussing on Twitter. She gave us a pretty decent explanation for every track, except for that one. I believe the lyrics are way more complex to simply describe it with "When you listen to this song imagine you're singing to yourself". Is she trying to avoid to talk about it? 

This was exactly what I thought hearing the song at first, Carino did a number on her emotionally no doubt

so this is what it's like living in limbo - first I'm high then I'm so low.
  • Like 4

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...