Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why Stupid Love?

herassisfamous

Featured Posts

herassisfamous

Okay. Stupid Love is cute. It's not one of her best, but it's okay. The video and the choreo make it better but it literally tells nothing about Chromatica, and it doesn't fit in the album. The album has overwhelmingly incredible lyrics, every song feels like a poem and the theme revolves around house beats and healing, trauma and overall there is a melancholy. Then WHY would you start the era with a song that has repetitive lyrics which lacks a chorus and is overall giving Barbie-esque happiness vibes? Or even put it in the album in the first place? I just can't wrap my mind around it. It sticks out. What do y'all think?

All we need is love

CantGetEnough

I disagree that it "doesn't fit" in the album. I think it's fine among what I've heard and is a suitable lead single. There are benefits to having an elusive first single that doesn't reveal too much--one that is "good enough" but not off the charts.  I personally like that Gaga releases better follow-up singles (she hasn't done that since the BTW era). I feel like starting with Rain On Me would have set the bar too high and hyped too early. The single choices seem strategic. I haven't listened to leaks, but I find Sour Candy better than both Stupid Love and Rain On Me. That being said, I don't think Sour Candy would have enough broad appeal for commercial success right now. Several of the bangers or fan faves on the album may suffer the same fate: banger album cuts but hard to promote as singles. 

Normally I think Gaga is terrible with single choices, but this era it seems right. ROM almost felt like a reboot, or second-wind. I like that she gave us something cute and then essentially had a spade hidden to throw on us. "You think that was cute? Well take a look at this" essentially. 

djBuffoon

Just finished my second listen of the album, and every time, it's the only song I've forgotten about by the end. It just does nothing for me. :oprah:

tomsches

I don't understand it either. It doesn't sound like Chromatica and it's although it's nice it's far from being in top half of the album quality wise. Plus, it had leaked so many weeks in advance 

herassisfamous
1 minute ago, SabadoDeGloria said:

I disagree that it "doesn't fit" in the album. I think it's fine among what I've heard and is a suitable lead single. There are benefits to having an elusive first single that doesn't reveal too much--one that is "good enough" but not off the charts.  I personally like that Gaga releases better follow-up singles (she hasn't done that since the BTW era). I feel like starting with Rain On Me would have set the bar too high and hyped too early. The single choices seem strategic. I haven't listened to leaks, but I find Sour Candy better than both Stupid Love and Rain On Me. That being said, I don't think Sour Candy would have enough broad appeal for commercial success right now. Several of the bangers or fan faves on the album may suffer the same fate: banger album cuts but hard to promote as singles. 

Normally I think Gaga is terrible with single choices, but this era it seems right. ROM almost felt like a reboot, or second-wind. I like that she gave us something cute and then essentially had a spade hidden to throw on us. "You think that was cute? Well take a look at this" essentially. 

Well if you didn't listen to the album yet, you'll probably understand what I'm saying when it comes out in your country because the album is pretty coherent sonically, and SL seriously sticks out (imo) But I agree that it's good strategy to choose the 2nd single to be stronger than the first one.

All we need is love

LOUDER

That was my first thought after hearing ROM for the first time.

I like "Stupid Love" but now it feels more like a standalone release to serve as warm-up to start the real Chromatica era. 

My name isn't Alice but I'll keep looking for Wonderland.

CantGetEnough
1 minute ago, herassisfamous said:

Well if you didn't listen to the album yet, you'll probably understand what I'm saying when it comes out in your country because the album is pretty coherent sonically, and SL seriously sticks out (imo) But I agree that it's good strategy to choose the 2nd single to be stronger than the first one.

Yes, perhaps. I'm being patient and not listening to leaks. But, my current perspective is just judging on what is available and at the moment I don't find SL to be misplaced among ROM and Sour Candy. And, listening to SL then ROM (in album order) flows to me. So that's kind of what I'm basing off--I'll update if I feel differently in 14 hours, lol. 

herassisfamous
1 minute ago, SabadoDeGloria said:

Yes, perhaps. I'm being patient and not listening to leaks. But, my current perspective is just judging on what is available and at the moment I don't find SL to be misplaced among ROM and Sour Candy. And, listening to SL then ROM (in album order) flows to me. So that's kind of what I'm basing off--I'll update if I feel differently in 14 hours, lol. 

I'd suggest create a NZ or AU Spotify account using VPN, so you will actually help with the streams as well and also listen early. That's what I did

All we need is love

ARTGOD

As someone who’s pretty underwhelmed with the album so far, I found Stupid Love to be one of the weakest tracks production-wise, but I also think it’s one of the most instantaneous songs on the album, you listen to it once and you know if love it or you hate it.

I didn’t get that feeling with many songs on the album, they all seem like growers to me and I know I will end up liking them eventually.

ShayCristoforo

SL is a fun dance song about the basic need for love; everyone can relate.

It fits with the themes of radical acceptance, togetherness, catharsis, and her intention to put out a dance catalog.

I think it provides a peek into that ideal state of mind. She explained Chromatica in the Paper Mag interview as a state of mind / a thought leadership. 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

CantGetEnough
Just now, herassisfamous said:

I'd suggest create a NZ or AU Spotify account using VPN, so you will actually help with the streams as well and also listen early

I'll try. :laughga:

But also, to better answer your question, isn't Stupid Love the only Max Martin cut on the album? Part of me wonders if the label wanted a more marketable lead single and had her record with Max Martin to get one. That could also explain why it may not be as dance-driven as the other tracks?

hhennywise

she said in the interview for paper that the leaking is what got her to decide SL as the lead. She said that normally hackers leak what they like best first so that helped with the decision. Read the interview again and you'll find it there.

CantGetEnough
2 minutes ago, hhennywise said:

she said in the interview for paper that the leaking is what got her to decide SL as the lead. She said that normally hackers leak what they like best first so that helped with the decision. Read the interview again and you'll find it there.

Didn't the song leak while she was filming the video? I thought she had said she went forward with releasing it for that reason rather than changing plans due to the leak...

littlepotter
4 minutes ago, hhennywise said:

That was just Gaga being Gaga :laughga: they would not have gotten their hands on the song if it wasn't already being sent to labels and radios etc.

chaeri pls

Archived