⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
society

Deaths and Covid-19 Cases Rising As Canada Provinces Re-Open Economy Anyway

Economy
Posted (edited)

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/6980031/ontario-coronavirus-cases-may-24-covid19/amp/ https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/montreal/2020/5/23/1_4951702.html

After some stabalization in Ontario the daily new cases have been steadily climbing over the last 2 weeks with new cases rising to 460 in the last 24hours bringing total confirmed to 25,500 in the Province 

Quebec is even worse as still the epicentre in Canada getting nearly 700 cases every day and total 47,000 confirmed cases and they too are re-opening

Justin Trudeau and the Federal Government has imposed some basic standards for re-opening but it is still up to each Province to decide when and if to implement them or remain in lockdown

Most other Provinces are also in the midst of re-opening with British Columbia's re-opening stage among the most advanced

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1
  • Shook 3
  • Sad 5

Juanlittlem

This is the thing that I fear the most, Spain is reopening stores and everything these coming weeks and things will get worse again :ohno:

• Like 1

OBEY

We're doing 14k tests daily. We had 500 new confirmed cases in the past 24 hours which is one of the lowest in the last weeks I believe. 

• Like 2

blankpaper

Of course there’s going to be an increase. The goal was never zero, it was just to slow it down enough to keep the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed 

there cannot be a hundred people in a room
  • Like 10

Economy
1 minute ago, OBEY said:

We're doing 14k tests daily. We had 500 new confirmed cases in the past 24 hours which is one of the lowest in the last weeks I believe. 

Which province are u in?

LaLuna
Posted (edited)

Correction: The Montreal area is the epicenter. Other areas in Quebec are doing much better. I live in Sherbrooke (Estrie, Quebec) and this is our second day without any new confirmed cases, and we haven't had any COVID-related deaths in a month.

Edited by LaLuna
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Spyro
1 minute ago, blankpaper said:

Of course there’s going to be an increase. The goal was never zero, it was just to slow it down enough to keep the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed 

I feel like a lot of people forgot that was literally the point of "flattening the curve".  Not put it into a great depression (though that is ideal).

Spyro the Dragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Economy
Just now, blankpaper said:

Of course. Im just surprised at the upticks with all the distancing and restrictions in place. Would have thought the transmition rate would go to 1 or below tho and cases stabalize or drop but I guess not :enigma:

Economy
1 minute ago, LaLuna said:

Correction: The Montreal area is the epicenter. Other areas in Quebec are doing much better. I live in Sherbrooke (Estrie) and this is our second day without any new confirmed cases, and we haven't any COVID-related deaths in a month.

Last time I checked Montreal is in Quebec :enigma:

The same can be said of any Province tho. Here in Ontario most of the "Provincial" cases are in the Toronto region or golden horseshoe area. Many areas of the Province have almost nothing

• Like 1

Economy
5 minutes ago, Juanlittlem said:

This is the thing that I fear the most, Spain is reopening stores and everything these coming weeks and things will get worse again :ohno:

I think it's so hard to balance things

Lift the lockdowns and cases spike more... Keep the lockdown for too long and the economy won't survive

I don't envy politicians being forced to make these decisions right now

• Like 2

blankpaper
1 minute ago, Spyro said:

I feel like a lot of people forgot that was literally the point of "flattening the curve".  Not put it into a great depression (though that is ideal).

I’ve been seeing “crush the curve” instead of “flatten the curve” lately and I’m dreading the next year and a half of lockdowns if that’s the narrative they’re going to be pushing 🙄

Just now, Economy said:

Of course. Im just surprised at the upticks with all the distancing and restrictions in place. Would have thought the transmition rate would go to 1 or below tho and cases stabalize or drop but I guess not :enigma:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it starts stabilizing though, there could have just been a free for all when restrictions were lifted since everyone’s felt trapped for so long 

there cannot be a hundred people in a room
  • Like 1

LaLuna
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

Last time I checked Montreal is in Quebec :enigma:

The same can be said of any Province tho. Here in Ontario most of the "Provincial" cases are in the Toronto region or golden horseshoe area. Many areas of the Province have almost nothing

Yes, Montreal is in Quebec, I knew what you meant, but Quebec has become kind of two worlds, there's Montreal, where sh*t hit the fan real bad, and then there's the rest of the province, where things are going much better.

• Like 1

Economy
1 minute ago, blankpaper said:

I’ve been seeing “crush the curve” instead of “flatten the curve” lately and I’m dreading the next year and a half of lockdowns if that’s the narrative they’re going to be pushing 🙄

I wouldn’t be surprised if it starts stabilizing though, there could have just been a free for all when restrictions were lifted since everyone’s felt trapped for so long 

Hopefully

I'm not saying I don't support re-opening... The economy can't handle much more of this and we need to find a way to go on as safely as possible and only resort to lockdowns during Extreme spikes

But I'm just surprised at some of the increases in some Provinces. The easing in restrictions just started and economy is not fully re-opened... And on top of that there's a lag between confirmed cases and actual infections

PartySick
4 minutes ago, Economy said:

I don't envy politicians being forced to make these decisions right now

Targeted quarantine and testing is the answer honestly.

Test EVERYONE. Have you tested positive or been exposed to a positive person? Isolate yourself. When you test negative, you're good to go.

The shut downs are only because our leaders failed to do that :nails: especially ours. Trump said something like "one of our staffers tested so well for so long then boom, she's positive out of no where, and that's why testing is bad". That guy is in charge :smh:

Somebody please have mercy 'cause I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Economy
1 minute ago, LaLuna said:

Yes, Montreal is in Quebec, I knew what you meant, but Quebec has become kind of two worlds, there's Montreal, where sh*t hit the fan real bad, and then there's the rest of the province, where things are going much better.

Fair. But it's just when they talk about Provinces they aren't breaking it down by city... Cuz it also varies a lot in other Provinces too

It would be more accurate to break it down by major cities and metros but I guess because Provinces have the most authority in dealing with this, they report the situation based on Provinces without usually specifying which areas are actually the specific hot spots