Sign in to follow this  
science

Lockdowns trigger dramatic fall in global carbon emissions

FfFfFfFF

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

Carbon dioxide emissions have fallen dramatically since lockdowns were imposed around the world due to the coronavirus crisis, research has shown.

Daily emissions of the greenhouse gas plunged 17% by early April compared with 2019 levels, according to the first definitive study of global carbon output this year.

The findings show the world has experienced the sharpest drop in carbon output since records began, with large sections of the global economy brought to a near standstill. When the lockdown was at its most stringent, in some countries emissions fell by just over a quarter (26%) on average. In the UK, the decline was about 31%, while in Australia emissions fell 28.3% for a period during April.

“The real lesson of this pandemic is that we must globally shift our energy production away from fossil fuels as quickly as possible if we are to ensure sustained year-on-year cuts to our global emissions,” he said. “The good news is that both of these will help to maintain the clean air and clear skies we have all rediscovered during lockdown, saving many lives.”

S: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/19/lockdowns-trigger-dramatic-fall-global-carbon-emissions

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 5
  • YAAAS 6
  • Love 1

Sneaky Oliver

I just had a crazy idea that we could choose to quarantine every now and then to control these kinds of damages. Like one out of five years or something. That would be so great for nature 

A reverse Sneaky-Oliverian expedition
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Dramatica
Just now, Sneaky Oliver said:

I just had a crazy idea that we could choose to quarantine every now and then to control these kinds of damages. Like one out of five years or something. That would be so great for nature 

People only fear threats that are real, like Covid 19. Ecological disasters are abstract for most people, so a lockdown every now and then will be followed by nobody

I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.
  • Like 5

Kubrick1990
39 minutes ago, Dramatica said:

People only fear threats that are real, like Covid 19. Ecological disasters are abstract for most people, so a lockdown every now and then will be followed by nobody

And sadly, it appears that for about half of the population a viral pandemic is also too "abstract" to be concerned

• Like 1

venusinmyhead

this means nothing sadly as long as the Amazon rainforest is still burned to the ground by Bolsonaro. Deforestation increased by 55% from January to May compared to 2019. And wildfire season has not even started. If we don‘t act and in the worst case there is no return due to the tipping point, humanity is facing extinction until 2100.

fan-tas-tique, chic, freak, slaaaay
  • Sad 2

imnotyourbabe10
Posted (edited)

Love the replies in this thread.  Thanks for being woke, fellow humans. 

I've been struggling to accept the sh!tty and selfish reactions of our fellow human beings during a crisis like this.  People are still blinded by consumption (all the Amazon orders and corporate bullsh!t messages of "you, retail workers, are our heroes" even though they pay non-living wages and cut hazard pay off asap). 
The reopening is going to be a disaster (for example, last night it was so congregated in our "outdoor" dining areas that my city had shut streets down for). 
We truly have what's coming to us and it is sad that humans do not see the "abstract" until it effects them (just like many around me did with the pandemic..."it's not a big deal" and then, "Oh, wait, 1,000s of cases a day?" "I know someone whose parent died from it" "Oh **** this is real").  I'm looking forward to Mother Earth reclaiming her space from us.

I have run out of patience for my fellow citizens of the planet.  It kind of sucks it takes extra effort to find the beauty and kindness in it all.  Sorry, rant over.

Edited by imnotyourbabe10

Sneaky Oliver
1 hour ago, Dramatica said:

Yes I agree but Mother Nature is about to start kicking our asses in a near future so o e day I’m ecological disasters will actually become real and scary threats to (at least) most of the people 

A reverse Sneaky-Oliverian expedition