💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Lady Gaga at the same level of relevancy as Britney Spears in 2011?

DiskoBaby

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Britney Jean1 said:

Relevancy doesn't equate wining an Oscar or Grammy actually. 

Relevancy equate popularity! and why would Britney won an Oscar, she is not an actress!!?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Britney Jean1
Just now, Adakam said:

Yes, she is a horrible actress, she even said it herself. I believe this thread was comparing their music career not their acting one. because of course Britney could never touch gaga's acting ability or anyone actually :billie:

Slim

rasclautmangos

I find it hard to compare Gaga's career to any other recent performer to be honest with you. She's totally on her own unique path. 

I think she's in a much better place all around than Britney was in 2011. It'll be interesting to see how this era plays out. She seems excited to do so many things outside of pop music. I just don't see her being too invested in these current pop chart wars.

I think she will be relevant in her own way for many years to come.

Reality
1 hour ago, Ori said:

Gurls, I'm not trying to discredit Gaga's success. I'm very happy she achieved top 5, and yes, not everyone can do that being 12 years in the career. However, "hit" is a strong word. Let's face it, does anyone outside of your LGBTQ+ friends know Stupid Love exists? :poot: Well, maybe a few people do, but charts speak for themselves. If Stupid Love is a decent hit, then Bad Romance is a huge hit, and G.U.Y. a micro-hit? :selena: Hopefully Rain On Me will slay the whole planet :party:

The key word is not "hit," it's "decent." SL was a decent hit. That's a fair statement to make. It didn't do great, obviously, but it wasn't a flop. 

Bad Romance also was a huge hit, so I don't know what you're trying to get at there :selena: It's literally her most popular song.

The difference between Dope and G.U.Y. compared to SL is that SL actually had radio support for some time, and it debuted much, much higher than the previous two. It also got quite a bit of media attention considering it was the start of the LG~6 era. 

🃏🖤👹

Gracious Gaga
1 hour ago, Antichrist said:

i remember when dope was #8. one of her biggest hits ever :bradley:

and #1 on iTunes :ally:

♥ Kindness Police.

Shaney
1 hour ago, Genuine Guy 09 said:

Correct. 

Femme Fatale is Gaga's Chromatica era. The tea is real! 

Circus - ASIB smash era before hand 

HIAM frontloaded 'hit'... Stupid Love 

Til The World ends featuring younger artists... Rain On Me 

Both 12 years in...

Need I continue? 

tumblr_mx8gj166dt1qjdybto2_250.gif

HIAM can’t really be compared to SL. HIAM was all over the radio nonstop. 

Hyperballad
49 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

I mean... I think people mistake being "relevant" in the US as being "relevant" worldwide, when thats not the case. If the OP really wants to compare the two, Lady Gaga reached worldwide dominance with Shallow and ASIB. With Chromatica, Stupid Love was a hit (number 4 I think) here, and in Scotland it went number one. While in the US it went number 5 and it hit number top 10 in a various list of countries - not just the US. Chromatica will have some global impact. 

Britney did not have any of this at all. She went from being a pop superstar, to having one hit worldwide post-2007 with "Womaniser" and then faded away again. If it wasn't for stan culture, I would have never known that Britney released an album called Femme Fatale or really any album after 2008 :billie:  will.i.am kind of brought her back, but Scream & Shout had a lot of controversy around it regarding credits for who wrote it, and even who sung it. After that, she faded away again. 

"Relevancy" in the US does not mean that she was "relevant" worldwide. Britney became local :billie:  no shade, just facts. US does not mean the world... so there is no comparison between Gaga's worldwide dominance to Britney's "relevancy" in the US because Gaga is still global while Britney is local

I know, too many people assume that relevancy in the US, means relevancy worldwide. I do make the mistake of assuming that sometimes... but I just generally assume a large majority of people here are American oops :enigma:

Butters Stotch
1 hour ago, Britney Jean1 said:

Relevancy doesn't equate wining an Oscar or Grammy actually. 

Relevancy equate popularity! and why would Britney won an Oscar, she is not an actress!!?

I have to laugh :billie: really, I love Britney, but dude... 

FIND YOUR FREEDOM IN THE MUSIC

Glamourpuss
1 hour ago, xoxo Craig said:

When I was 13 years old, all that was played on teh radio here was Gaga, Katy Perry, Kesha, Adele, Jessie J... the only "Britney song" that was played here on the radio in the 2010's was will.i.am's song, Scream & Shout :billie:

I agree with this. Britney hasn't been huge since before the 2007 breakdown. Comparing Gaga's level of fame with Britney's doesn't make sense because Britney has never been able to get back the level of fame that she had when she was at her peak. 

This isn't shade, it's just facts. 

Smother Em Eh

Gaga has reached even more relevancy now from ASIB then Britney in 2011. Britney just returned with her pop roots, Gaga became an award winning actress!

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

2 hours ago, DiskoBaby said:

Both singers have a similar career path like peaking early in their careers, having their older albums becoming influential to pop music at the time, and making a comeback later in the decade. With Britney Spears it was her Circus album and Womanizer becoming a hit, with Lady Gaga it was her movie A Star is Born and Shallow becoming her biggest hit since Bad Romance.

Although it is just a year difference, Is Lady Gaga at that same peak as Britney Spears was when she released Femme Fatale? Britney at this time was coming off her comeback and collaborating with newer singers like Rihanna, Kesha, and Nicki Minaj. Hold It Against Me was a decent hit but Till The World Ends blew up during the summer.

Now Lady Gaga is coming off the hype of Shallow and ASIB, Stupid Love was a decent hit but it looks like Rain On Me will be a summer smash and she's collaborating with newer singers like Ariana Grande and Blackpink.

So is Lady Gaga's relevance and popularity for her album Chromatica similar to Britney Spears during her album Femme Fatale? Is she more popular than Britney Spears was or less popular? Also do you see Lady Gaga as a pop legend now as Britney Spears was during that time or does Lady Gaga still have more to prove?

Gaga's past 2 years in showbiz eclipsed the Circus era, sorry. She was practically on top again last year - Britney, on the other hand, was not in 2009-2011. Back then, Gaga was. Gaga is more relevant now in my eyes, maybe a little subdued I dunno

Mr S
2 hours ago, HeavyCapiLover said:

I think that Gaga's 2008-12 peak was  bigger than Britney. Gaga was everywhere, she was the most searched person on the internet, was named most influential person of the world, she had multiple mega iconic hit, everyone was talking about her.

Britney's moment was big yes, but she had less big hit and she was a bit "basic" compared to gaga. Gaga really took the world by storm back then. In 1999, people were saying that Brit was the "princess of pop", while in 2009, they were already calling gaga the "queen of pop" and compairing her to Madonna.

Gaga may have been a bigger musician at her peak, but I feel Britney was the biggest celebrity. Just check their google trends graph and you'll see a peak for Britney that is unlike anything.

Lady Ganja
3 hours ago, Venus Rose said:

Isn't that what happens on this forum all the time?

unfortunately

Lady Ganja

Rat Boy
3 hours ago, chromadicka said:

please stop comparing artists.

Comparing artists is a main element of pop forum content. As long as such discussions are respectful, I don't see why it would be an issue. 

"dont trust this crooked manipulative rat!" - @NichuuB

giskardsb

Ask yourself which one is respected worldwide for her vocal ability, multi genre talent, and acting chops by a wider demographic than just the insulated world of pop.  That will give you the easy answer to this question. 

Archived