Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Are you glad streaming ended greatest hits?

culturalbaptism

Featured Posts

culturalbaptism

During the physical albums era, it was common practice the labels/artists release greatest hits album that featured their most successful singles and a few new tracks (usually 3 new tracks). With the age of streaming, these albums became redundant. You already have the artist catalog on streaming, you just need the right playlist. Only a very few 80s/90s acts are pulling them because they still have a fan base that still buy physicals.

I personally hate them. I get it that some songs are different in single form from their album versions, and they are even superior (Express Yourself, All Is Full Of Love are a few examples of superior tracks in single version). But all they do is make a mess in your fave's discography. And I hate that sometimes the outstanding tracks are only available in greatest hits albums so you have to get them with a bunch of tracks you already have just because of a few tracks. The only greatest hits I really love is The Immaculate Collection and Ultimate Kylie. These I can listen to start to finish.

Are you glad this era is finally behind us?

giphy.gif

Judas is coming. Let the cultural baptism begin.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GaGaAst

nope. Greatest hits was and will always be a cultural moment in itself. 

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

ToxicHot

Yes but people still put them out, like Kylie Minogue just did it about a year ago.

Greatest hits albums are literally USELESS in the streaming era. Just create a playlist of the hits.....  :neyde: Obviously, this doesn’t apply towards physical copies, because I understand that fans love collecting them but still.... I feel like, unless I have extra money to spend, why would I buy someone's greatest hits album when I already own ALL their albums? Especially if they’re digital copies. 

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

candydarling

I actually like them cuz I like having physical copies and we get new pictures and sometimes even new songs 

elijahfan

With greatest hits albums, you get new visuals and new tracks, sometimes even a whole new era. You're losing all this with streaming.

NFRatwell

I love greatest hits that have new songs with them like outtakes :bradley: I’m here for a greatest hits Gaga album where she takes us on a journey through her career. 

BornSimon

I hate everything about the streaming era so no, I'm not glad. Many times releasing a Greatest Hits was just a way to wrap up a career, but some others it was a celebration of someone's huge impact with multiple classic hits and new tracks which were a taste of what was to come or previously unreleased material. It's a shame, but then again the music industry is pretty much a joke these days compared to the past.

NFRatwell
Just now, elijahfan said:

With greatest hits albums, you get new visuals and new tracks, sometimes even a whole new era. You're losing all this with streaming.

Exacly 

elijahfan
Just now, NFRockwell said:

I love greatest hits that have new songs with them like outtakes :bradley: I’m here for a greatest hits Gaga album where she takes us on a journey through her career. 

I mean, a Gaga greatest hits album is long overdue, which makes me think it's never really been in her plans. She'd rather focus on what's next rather than look back.

yes and
17 hours ago, NFRockwell said:

She could release it somewhere in the middle of 2012, now it's too late for its success 

Did you think I'd show up in a limousine? No

NFRatwell
1 minute ago, elijahfan said:

I mean, a Gaga greatest hits album is long overdue, which makes me think it's never really been in her plans. She'd rather focus on what's next rather than look back.

Enigma (her greatest hits/fan favorites residency that didn’t provide any new music whatsoever ever in its first year) who? :poot:

elijahfan
Just now, NFRockwell said:

Enigma (her greatest hits/fan favorites residency that didn’t provide any new music whatsoever ever in its first year) who? :poot:

Damn you're right... I remember thinking it did seem very out of character for her. A greatest hits album titled Enigma to tie with the residency would have been awesome.

NFRatwell
Just now, elijahfan said:

Damn you're right... I remember thinking it did seem very out of character for her. A greatest hits album titled Enigma to tie with the residency would have been awesome.

I know :bradley: and she could’ve included live versions too. 

elijahfan
3 minutes ago, NFRockwell said:

I know :bradley: and she could’ve included live versions too. 

Oh well, whatever... We're getting a new album next week :ally:

NFRatwell
7 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Oh well, whatever... We're getting a new album next week :ally:

and a new song titled Enigma... it worked out :bradley:

Archived