HermioneT 1,998 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 A completely uneducated and not fact based opinion: there must be something very wrong with the U.S. health care system. I never felt that the German health care or general infrastructure are particular good or advanced, in fact I tended to think the health care system here is pretty problematic (due to insights while caring for a cancer patient in my family). Now, I realize that apparently I was very wrong. This just can't be true How can a country which so much scientific, research and financial resources get to that point? She / hers Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gohan 16,905 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 14 minutes ago, HermioneT said: A completely uneducated and not fact based opinion: there must be something very wrong with the U.S. health care system. I never felt that the German health care or general infrastructure are particular good or advanced, in fact I tended to think the health care system here is pretty problematic (due to insights while caring for a cancer patient in my family). Now, I realize that apparently I was very wrong. This just can't be true How can a country which so much scientific, research and financial resources get to that point? Poor investments in the health system, politicians only worrying about getting richer every year and all of us thinking we're okay with this. The whole world wasn't ready for a pandemic of this caliber, not even the "rich" countries. First-world countries are the ones with higher mortality rates and even though there are a lot of factors behind what is happening, you'd think they'd be ready and deal with this better than the others. Sadly this just goes to show how wrong we were all along. tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
HermioneT 1,998 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 10 minutes ago, Gohan said: Poor investments in the health system, politicians only worrying about getting richer every year and all of us thinking we're okay with this. The whole world wasn't ready for a pandemic of this caliber, not even the "rich" countries. First-world countries are the ones with higher mortality rates and even though there are a lot of factors behind what is happening, you'd think they'd be ready and deal with this better than the others. Sadly this just goes to show how wrong we were all along. Yeah, I agree. We should all stop treating the health sector as if it was just another market sector which only aim is growth and profit. She / hers Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dramatica 13,698 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 So as I can read in this thread, everyone is Covid19 expert, a doctor specialized in respiratory diseases and also a politician on the side. Let's not... Okay? I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
AsleepOnTheCeiling 7,055 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 37 minutes ago, HermioneT said: A completely uneducated and not fact based opinion: there must be something very wrong with the U.S. health care system. I never felt that the German health care or general infrastructure are particular good or advanced, in fact I tended to think the health care system here is pretty problematic (due to insights while caring for a cancer patient in my family). Now, I realize that apparently I was very wrong. This just can't be true How can a country which so much scientific, research and financial resources get to that point? Something I've noticed is that Germans love to complain. I'm not saying their concerns aren't valid, but a lot of the systems are far better than what can be found in places such as the U.S. (aside from internet speeds). Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
AsleepOnTheCeiling 7,055 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 3 minutes ago, DRAMATICA said: So as I can read in this thread, everyone is Covid19 expert, a doctor specialized in respiratory diseases and also a politician on the side. Let's not... Okay? I'm pretty sure most people made general statements about healthcare and health in general. The only claim I saw was someone saying that people who need a ventilator are at 10% breathing capacity. And you didn't even try to prove them wrong. I don't get why you're being aggressive and trying to call everyone out. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dramatica 13,698 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 2 minutes ago, justhislife said: I'm pretty sure most people made general statements about healthcare and health in general. The only claim I saw was someone saying that people who need a ventilator are at 10% breathing capacity. And you didn't even try to prove them wrong. I don't get why you're being aggressive and trying to call everyone out. Aggressive? Really? 21st century rhymes with oversensitivity I guess. I won't try to prove anyone wrong because I'm not an expert, like some of you apparently. I'll wait for science to produce something relevant. PeriodT. I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
blankpaper 21 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 10 minutes ago, justhislife said: I don't get why you're being aggressive and trying to call everyone out. Lmao their username reality’s tight if the music is right Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
HermioneT 1,998 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 12 minutes ago, justhislife said: Something I've noticed is that Germans love to complain. I'm not saying their concerns aren't valid, but a lot of the systems are far better than what can be found in places such as the U.S. (aside from internet speeds). 100% yes to that but I am aware that I am very lucky for where I live. It is just hard to conciliate such reports with the still prevalent image of the U.S. as the epitome of medical research, the elite universities and all that world changing tech companies. Actually it is more sad than anything else. She / hers Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
blankpaper 21 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 5 minutes ago, HermioneT said: 100% yes to that but I am aware that I am very lucky for where I live. It is just hard to conciliate such reports with the still prevalent image of the U.S. as the epitome of medical research, the elite universities and all that world changing tech companies. Actually it is more sad than anything else. The issue with healthcare in the US is mainly just access/cost Although it is a for-profit system so doctors can be bribed by pharmaceutical companies to prescribe certain things and whatnot. We have a lot of great researchers/scientists and research facilities though reality’s tight if the music is right Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
uo111 5,285 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 This is not new information, this is not limited to murica, and this is not limited to NYC. https://www.propublica.org/article/ventilators-arent-going-to-cure-covid-19-heres-what-they-can-do The bottom line is that if you need a ventilator due to COVID-19, your chance of dying is very high. That is going to be true no matter where you are in the world, unfortunately those of you living in Germany are not magically protected from COVID-19. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gagaism 12,493 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 2 hours ago, malazam said: If you need a ventilator it's because you are like at a 10% breathing capacity and it's a REALLY invasive treatment. There are other ways and I think they'll start trying to avoid ventilators. You meant intubation right? because ventilation is not invasive. Anyways, intubation is really necessary at this point because ppl can’t even breathe and get air enough to put into the lungs. One problem that ppl forget about it is the capacity of patient getting other types of infection due to bad or insufficient hygiene/sterilization on those devices so that’s a concern about these types of procedures mainly, especially in cases of many ppl in need like this epidemic. That’s the way healthy system works, lot of times you have to get in a procedure in order to save a life, but unfortunately it means taking a risk on the other hand. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Whispering 18,865 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 Ventilators are not the solution in ANY illness- they just buy doctors time to cure the underlying disease. In the case of COVID-19, we don’t have a real treatment, so it’s up to the patient’s immune system to take care of it. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alphaz 7,969 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 2 hours ago, Maleficent said: "The records support what doctors have been saying about the coronavirus: most people who become severely ill have some sort of so-called underlying condition. More than half, or 57%, had high blood pressure, 41% were obese and 34% had diabetes." I hope this is a wake-up call for american's to get it together and start focusing on health/diet/exercise more...we have a health crisis in america, and it starts with our relationship to food. When this is all over, they will headed straight to the nearest McDonald's. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
blankpaper 21 Posted April 23, 2020 Share Posted April 23, 2020 Just now, Rudz Xinc said: When this is all over, they will headed straight to the nearest McDonald's. Bold to assume they’re not already hitting up the drive through haha reality’s tight if the music is right Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.