Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Lady Gaga (2009): Greatest Pop Star By Year

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

Anveeroy

LADY GAGA

2009-lady-gaga.jpg?imageOpt=1&fit=bounds

On a frantic night in the summer of 2008, Lady Gaga struggled with her latex bodysuit as cameras for MTV’s The Hills rolled in the background. At the time, the reality soap’s leading lady, Lauren Conrad, was a bigger star than Gaga, the new kid on the major-label block. Conrad, who was working a fashion label’s launch party, zipped Gaga up following a brief, tense wardrobe malfunction. The two quickly embraced, and the singer grabbed her signature shades and a rhinestone-studded microphone before making her way to the club’s small stage. 

That episode of The Hills aired in September of 2008. A year and a week after that, Gaga traded the black latex in for (fake) blood-soaked lingerie and played dead as she swung from the rafters at New York’s Radio City Music Hall. Her wild-eyed performance of The Fame single “Paparazzi” at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards made for one of the ceremony’s most memorable moments -- a feat for what was a truly historic VMAs. She was nominated for nine Moonmen that night and took home three, including best new artist for “Poker Face,” her second straight Hot 100 No. 1 that April (after debut “Just Dance” topped the chart in January). Gaga had arrived, clearly -- on her own terms, and with the whole world watching. 

Her ascent from her The Hills walk-on to award-show standout was an appropriate reflection of the breakneck pace with which Gaga took over pop music -- and pop culture at large. The adoration her growing fanbase had for The Fame, the album that made her a star, and The Fame Monster, her victory lap EP that followed in November of 2009, kept both albums and their singles in the highest echelons of the charts, and were undeniable champions during awards season as well. The Fame remained a regular on the Billboard 200 albums chart for the duration of the year and spent 39 weeks bouncing between spots in the top 20 alone. Meanwhile, The Fame Monster EP quickly shot to No. 5 on the Billboard 200, and its lead single, the classic “Bad Romance,” peaked at No. 2 on the Hot 100.  

To say that her one-year rise from rookie to MVP was meteoric doesn’t quite cut it, as she wasn’t just successful, but game-changing -- thanks to her voracious appetite for reinvention. 2009 was the first year in which we could compare and contrast Gaga in her various forms: she graduated from the disco-stick loving club kid to the architect of her own musical funhouse (or ballroom, if we’re going back to the VMA performance), all while performing before a rapt audience. With The Fame as the template, the dark, alien flourishes of The Fame Monster’s intrigue were all the more captivating.  

Every single drop was an opportunity for metamorphosis, and her music videos were the medium for exploring the afterglow of her debut. The lavish, outlandishly murderous plot of “Paparazzi,” the nocturnal New York subway adventure of “LoveGame,” and of course the instantly iconic “Bad Romance,” which had Gaga outfitted in off-the-runway Alexander McQueen designs and “hatching” out of a clinical white nightmare coffin -- she experimented with texture, technology and narrative and nailed it every time. No impulse was too wacky or surreal, as she and her Haus of Gaga creative team dreamt up the visual counterparts of her infectious pop hooks, and “Bad Romance,” especially, set a new standard for her multidimensional capabilities. (“Bad Romance” is the only one of Gaga’s  videos to amass 1 billion views on YouTube.) 

Though the pop deck was stacked in 2009, with Beyoncé, Rihanna, P!nk, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and other artists enjoying the fruits of their creative labors through top-grossing tours and best-selling albums, Gaga stood out in a superlative pool as the talent who wrote her own map to pop stardom -- one she’s stuck to ever since.

More: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/list/9338589/greatest-pop-star-every-year

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

DeanWinchester

and she got an Oscar-winning, multi Grammy-winning #1 song with 1B streams a decade after

beatup.gif

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Tayko
Just now, Twitter said:

@Tayko and why did you SAD me?

Cause i miss this time so much. :( 

The type of music she used to do ( this crazy electric dark vibes from  The Fame Monster album :firega: ) , her visuals i miss everything about those years. 

🇫🇷 My english sucks

2 minutes ago, Tayko said:

Cause i miss this time so much. :( 

The type of music she used to do ( this crazy electric dark vibes from  The Fame Monster album :firega: ) , her visuals i miss everything about those years. 

Just like art and fashion, music repeats itself. 

• Admin changed the title to Lady Gaga (2009): Greatest Pop Star By Year
19 minutes ago, Bambino said:

Why did you change your pic?

Return back to the life of being Twitter. :vegas:

Bambino
1 minute ago, Twitter said:

Return back to the life of being Twitter.

No me gusta.

1 hour ago, Twitter said:

@Tayko and why did you SAD me?

Because that’s an embarrassing way to disrespect another (with Sad reacting) I mean sure he can disagree but just react and say nothing is too bad

Lazz Monster
6 minutes ago, Twitter said:

Return back to the life of being Twitter. :vegas:

the world is back to normal, finally :vegas:

We're far from the Shallow now

Bambino
1 minute ago, Twitter said:

Why? The bird is the word.

You looked better than the bird. But if you feel like it this way, well, it's okay.

Archived