• Last Reply
FfFfFfFF
22 minutes ago, Defmix100 said:

you just destroyed all of rap and half of Poker Face :triggered:

There are rap songs with great melodies and PF has one too. :koons:

Defmix100
9 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

There are rap songs with great melodies and PF has one too. :koons:

but what about the millions of rap songs with no melody but great lyrics?

half the PF verses are all one note

SHALLOW
56 minutes ago, dancewithnobody said:

It is too subjective, you need to start excepting other people's opinion :sis:

If you read the other replies, you’ll notice i do respect other people’s opinions but i was just saying PI had its strong points and therefore SL isn’t better 

Defmix100
2 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Other than a key change, both songs follow the exact same standard pop structure

One thing I do like about PI is they switch up the instrumental at the end so it feels like a different structure, kind of like the end of MTN (the best part)

I think it would have been great to switch up at the end of SL

FfFfFfFF
3 minutes ago, Defmix100 said:

but what about the millions of rap songs with no melody but great lyrics?

half the PF verses are all one note

Rap is a whole different topic because those songs meant to be in many ways a protest and have that chatartic and societal element (I assume you are mostly talking about 90s rap). As a genre rap is meant to be spoken rather than sung - however even that is debatable, great rap songs do have nice melodies and instrumentals.

PF chorus is a one note melody but not the verses. 

pachinko

Let's be real!

Stupid Love is the gay version of Perfect Illusion. 

The straights didn't want her so now she's came back to us! 

FfFfFfFF
Just now, Defmix100 said:

One thing I do like about PI is they switch up the instrumental at the end so it feels like a different structure, kind of like the end of MTN (the best part)

I think it would have been great to switch up at the end of SL

Stupid Love has harmonies and vocal chops added in the last chorus.

Defmix100
4 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Rap is a whole different topic because those songs meant to be in many ways a protest and have that chatartic and societal element (I assume you are mostly talking about 90s rap). As a genre rap is meant to be spoken rather than sung - however even that is debatable, great rap songs do have nice melodies and instrumentals.

PF chorus is a one note melody but not the verses. 

"I wanna hold 'em like they do in Texas, please
Fold 'em, let 'em hit me, raise it, baby, stay with me...

I wanna roll with him, a hard pair we will be
A little gamblin' is fun when you're with me"

these parts of the verses, only part of the chorus that's one note is p-p-p-poker face...

Can't read my part is the most melodic of the entire song

yes and
1 hour ago, SHALLOW said:

If you read the other replies, you’ll notice i do respect other people’s opinions but i was just saying PI had its strong points and therefore SL isn’t better 

Again, it's your opinion, and "the strong points" are not objective. If you don't like a song, it doesn't make it worse. 

Did you think I'd show up in a limousine? No

derpmonster
7 hours ago, M Monstre said:

I don’t understand why people keep saying that SL has basic or cringey lyrics. They’re literally on the same level as most of her songs. The pre-chorus and the chorus, sure, are not particularly special. But that’s because it’s supposed to be a fun, upbeat dance pop song that you can just put on and dance to. The verses, though, actually are well written.

I mean, y’all don’t criticize songs like Just Dance, Poker Face, or Telephone. I’d argue that those songs have the same level of lyricism as SL. 

I have said before that SL is functionally like Just Dance and it's meant to be a cute bop, nothing more. And that's okay.

But even Just Dance has darker lyrics. It's literally about getting drunk to escape your problems and you feel yourself losing it but it's alright because for the night you can just dance and it'll be okay. And there's some irony in it. Stupid Love is much more direct.

Again, I like Stupid Love. It just isn't the same lyrical quality as her other songs. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Archived