opinion

Stupid Love Looks Cheap?

Quark

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, fede ARTPOP said:

Huawei. :ally:

lol jk, still on my iPhone X. 

But I called the 11 cheap compared to a professional camera. :enigma:

I think the point is that while the iPhone is not the same as a full fledged camera, it managed to make a video that many may have thought was a regular camera if they had not been told first. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/28/2020 at 3:17 PM, Didymus said:

Hmm. I'm on the fence about this. Like, sure, of course it's her intention for it to look a little off and cheesy and campy. But you can do that effect successfully and professionally and you can do it unconvincingly too :emma: I feel like that distinction is lost on many fans here.

Like, yeah, I'm sure everyone gets that this is supposed to be a love letter to retro-camp. But that doesn't mean she did it well. Know what I mean? I don't even understand why I have to explain this.

Like, remember when we all hated on this video for good reason? (it's very similar to what Gaga tried to do)

If we believe most LMs here today we'd have to convince ourselves this video was a genius piece of retro camp. But it's not. It's awkward and not very well executed. Just like SL is awkward and not very well executed :billie:

I feel like LMs are applying a double standard again. If another pop star released the exact same video I feel like a lot more people would be saying what I'm saying: that, yes, whoever made it tried to be retro-camp but that we didn't get a good end result.

No... Stupid Love's music video looks cool, a little bit cheesy but that's actually the reason why I like it.

The effects in Break Free are just bad... I like the song but every time I watch the video I laugh...

On 2/28/2020 at 9:15 PM, Quark said:

The fact that is looks cheap is actually a positive thing because it was meant to look retro and futuristic at the same time.

Are u saying retro equals to cheap? Because ur wrong

Its just fun, its supposed to be campy, cute mindless video.

Hmmm well we really going lowbrow and enjoying it. 

Like, if some people like it ok nice. 

But Its really bad executed, if its shot on iphone, focus on a really good concise simple idea. Theres too much choreo like shes just going left and right non stop, with weird shots of the group, unflattering shots. The sequences changes are too perceptable. Some timings arent very synchronised.

Its like theres so much, but all looks the same. Lacks real emphasis, probably not enough close ups or quiet moments or engagement with music. It honestly looks like everything was done in half a day. Its basically lots of people alla superbowl with judas choreo and the fashion that kinda reminds of project runway editorial. 

Tbh even break free is better. At least the focal parts where you can pay attention and is funny. This is mostly embarrassing and unarticulated with the music. 

ApplauseftAdele

Take this with a grain of salt but... maybe it was made to look bad on purpose?

I mean, releasing a polarizing video just gets more people talking and clicking...

Defmix100
On 2/28/2020 at 8:36 PM, Bambino said:

I take it you have an issue with her getting Apple promo? Like, nobody would've even know that she did it with an iPhone if she didn't really say it.

what is the apple promo? Have they made an SL commercial or something or does that come later?

Archived