💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Pretender vs Monster

AJRocketMan

Pretender or Monster?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Madonna's "Pretender", or Gaga's "Monster"?

Featured Posts

AJRocketMan

I'm gonna compare two songs. They're both upbeat songs with similar subject material and are both self-penned by the divas who sing them. It's Madonna's "Pretender" and Gaga's "Monster". The former is a deep cut from the Like A Virgin album. It's really good!

I honestly find the songs that Madonna writes to be so much better than the ones she sang but didn't write (e.g. Material Girl, Like A Virgin). This, Stay, and Shoo-Bee-Doo are charming and sweet. She's such a hopeless romantic at heart haha.

Then everyone knows this song.

After I heard Pretender for the very first time last year, I could easily tell Gaga went out of her way to make her own version of the song. They're so similar lyrically.

So which do you prefer, lyrically, vocally, melodically, and musically?

Lyrics: I like both but Pretender is more relatable, even if I've never been through this myself. If anything, I am the pretender.... :air:

Vocals: I find Madonna's voice a lot prettier than Gaga's (especially on the "You lied" part from 2:45-3:00). Similar vocal range.

Melody: Pretender is more melodic (btw, melody is the succession of notes) while Monster is more monotonous, although I think that was what Gaga intended with the song.

Music/Instrumental: I love Pretender's instrumental. The drums could be better (I wish they used a drum machine instead of a live drum kit), but the synthesizers just ooze personality, especially that bass! It just feels so good and instantly makes me want to get up and dance. I thought Monster sounded cool back in '09 but having listened to more music since then and having also made my own it sounds very DAW-ish and is a typical recession-era EDM song. It works I guess.

All of this is my opinion. Listen to both. What do you think?

Pop Music

I thought this thread was about real monsters vs. pretend or fake fans :koons:

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

Smother Em Eh

Monster. The intro with the “don’t look at me like that”, the beat and lyrics make it a great song and one of her best. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

FfFfFfFF

No offence but the entire Like a Virgin is super bland, unspired, one-dimensional and void of life and energy. I can't listen to it unless I force myself. 

Monster is by default better.

9 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

No offence but the entire Like a Virgin is super bland, unspired, one-dimensional and void of life and energy. I can't listen to it unless I force myself. 

Monster is by default better.

love don't leave here anymore says hi.

hello hello baby.

Quartz

Does this mean that Madonsters are actually Little Pretenders? :chica:

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

FfFfFfFF
1 minute ago, brucee said:

love don't leave here anymore says hi.

I actually love that song and forgot about it. :poot: But I still stand by what I said and the other songs are atrocious.

I also love this version of LAV.

TimisaMonster

Monster is miles ahead of Pretender and it's not just cuz they came out at different times, but the quality is incomparable...no shade

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

AJRocketMan
5 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

Monster is miles ahead of Pretender and it's not just cuz they came out at different times, but the quality is incomparable...no shade

Okay, that’s your opinion, but why is that your opinion? That’s the reason why I started this thread. To discuss. What makes Monster better to you?

AJRocketMan

The immaturity of the responses here reminds me perfectly of why I left this godforsaken place...

• 2 months later...

Archived