opinion

Billie's rise is dangerous to Gaga

Bobbins

Featured Posts

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, mmkay said:

If you love to hear a young girl whisper a whole album throught, then Billie is your star. Sure, there's some emotion there but I'm not feeling it.

This is the ravage of belting. It's just a technique. Instead of singing the high note with your head voice you keep it in the chest voice at the same octave, but you scream it and thus the feel of it is a high note. Some singer use it because it's their style, Some others do that because they can't sing the high notes well. 

Honestly this is the most boring trend of music history to me, and since BTW, this is clearly not my favorite Lady Gaga aspect. 

hello hello baby.

Pharamon
On 1/27/2020 at 6:44 PM, Phlop said:

People said the same about Lorde :classy:

So...? GGD at it's finest, comparing a banana with an apple.

Judas Oyster

Somebody thinking the same! I also got emoji-laughed at too when I said something very similar before she won the Grammys. Can't bother to copy paste bc of several replies and people replying. But if interested then view my late replies on my profile. I don't usually post much.

FormAChetty

I don't get the Billie hype. Everything she is doing is has been done to death and is completely unoriginal. She'll just be replaced by another basic in no time. Gaga won't be threatened...she's matured and her music won't be competing with a child who thinks they're too cool for school. 

Judas Oyster

I bothered copy pasting anyway what I wrote on Grammy's night before Billie the big 4 awards:

1. "I'm so incredibly proud of Billie. I was not expecting her to sing WTPIO (which is in top 3 Billie songs for me). She unsurprisingly did deliver exquisite vocals as usual.

I don't like saying this but my thoughts at the end were "Gaga is officially over". Probably will get hate for this. I'm just thinking form GP and music industry perspective. This performance represented that she actually sings beautifully, differently than most and has the potential of a full career at age 18. Music industry people are going to go even more crazy for her now (those that were sleeping on her). I read she's gonna sing for James Bond too. 

And imagine GP or non-fans were of course expecting "Bad guy" of her but got shocked in a positive way.

In terms of visuals she's pretty good too. Both clothing and specially music videos. Like I'm not directly comparing them but Billie is young NOW and therefore the younger generation will automatically listen to Billie. 

It's kind of sad for Gaga. Not many artists have been decent competition. As Gaga has been strategically focusing on quality music and vocal range ever since ARTPOP didn't do as expected commercially. Which has worked for her! But this new era is really important for Gaga in terms of future popularity. I think she will always be popular somehow but if she doesn't manage with this album she'll probably end up only making serious/vocal focused/traditional/grown up music in the future.

Ok this was not gonna be a long post I was only gonna compliment Billie for her performance but yeah I will just post it now that I've written all of this.

Before hateful replies: This is just my thoughts and how I see things regarding the music business and the careers of artists. I'm not saying anything negative about Gaga. I'm only talking about how a new generation will take over even if we don't like it or like it."

___

2. Answering to "ASIB soundtrack was biggest of the year comment..."

"I wrote all that to explain why I thought that. I don't mean she's gonna flop or be a commercial failure. The future is on LG6. We'll see what happens then.

C2C is incomparable with Gaga songs. Also to some degree is A Star Is Born. In between was Joanne. Million Reasons is a commercial success but a grown up/serious song. Perfect Illusion didn't do good. John Wayne (which I love) also didn't do good at all.

So that's why I'm thinking from a GP/music industry that it all depends on her new music. Will she be able to make people dance again or not basically. I'm afraid she's so grown up now that she will accept that her followers are grown up now and keep making quality music. When competition like Billie is now here it makes it even more difficult. I think most people (like me) in GagaDaily want a fun/danceable song from Gaga, or even an album. And commercial success. So I think I'm just over analyzing the situation. Of course she will keep making music we all know that. And I believe she'll never be broke and always have followers and critical success."

____

3. Answering to this comment "LMAO and WTF. Y'all need to stop with the crazy stan twitter mentality. It's not a competition, and even if it was a competition Gaga and Billie's music has very little cross over. Billie's more in the vein of Lana or Lorde. If Ava Max suddenly gained incredible vocals and started scoring #1 after #1, you may have had a point—but she hasn't. And yeah, there are always new "it" girls (some last, even when they lose their "it" girl status) and we all know it...doesn't mean Gaga's career is over."

Yeah. But Bad Guy isn't and she always uses deep and hard bass (she has said she loves it) which is very trendy in todays music. Even it's not hip-hop/trap she uses elements that relate to the GP nowadays. I don't think she or Finneas use it to exploit and gain popularity but it has apparently worked well as one of the reasons.

But of course there is room for Gaga in the industry and it will always be. Times change and streaming is leading the artists popularity. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's not many slots at the Grammy's for a lot of artists to sing slow and piano based songs. Now one is for Billie for sure. So in terms of music industry LG6 will have to show that she still can do more than sing slow beautiful songs.

This seems so negative/hating but I'm just expressing my opinion and how the commercial future of Gaga is in terms of my perspective. It's a discussion forum after all :)

____

4. Answering to "John Wayne wasn't a single..."

I know. I think she did that video only for us as a thank you for the support. It's extremely Gaga if you compare to PI, MR and Joanne.

Yeah, true it would probably have had a bigger effect but she did give it a video. Imagine Ariana or Billie just making a video for a non-single song. They are so extremely popular that it would help a lot. Gaga is just not getting these streaming points that are so important and crucial today. But again we'll see what LG6 brings. I do believe a disco influenced album (although Dua Lipa may use this sound) has a really big potential to be able to trend and have some songs on the radio nevertheless.

____

5. Answering to "I see what you are saying, but there is commercial success that can be found in being more "Adult Contemporary"-esque (e.g. Adele, Amy Winehouse, etc.), so even if Gaga releases new music that doesn't fit the mould of fun pop she might still find great commercial success. I kinda disagree that Billie represents the future, too. She looks more like a one-album wonder to me, sort of like Lorde or Norah Jones, or even Alanis Morissette in the 90s. The lyrics are wildly idiosyncratic and the style is experimental. Nothing bad with that, but rarely does that translate to long-lasting success a la Gaga, Madonna, Whitney, Beyonce, etc."

"Thanks for an actually proper reply!

I actually haven't thought about that and yes, I also believe she'll have a good career in the future, but maybe not commercially successful as most expect/want in here. The only thing when comparing to Adele, Amy etc is that that's who they are. They made the same kind of music from the beginning of their success and have been able to earn success with it. Where Gaga started with Just Dance/Pokerface electronic party music. She still has a chance if her incoming music is somewhat danceable, catchy and fun. But she's at risk of it not working and then having to stick with mature music. If Tony didn't exist, if the Sound of Music didn't exist and A Star is Born didn't exists would Shallow stream so much? I don't know. I don't believe Gaga will crush records like Adele and Amy if she switches to this kind of music bc that's not how she started. But then again we are growing up also and like more mature music, and she has earned the elders as a audience too. So I agree but in terms of having many top 10 singles like before I don't think so. Unless she keeps being supersmart by accompanying songs with movies, breath-taking performances and other elements outside of the music itself.

You may be right. Time will show  What I like about Billie is several things that don't even compare to Lorde or others. The lyrics are very deep and emotional, she's very likeable and relatable and fun (which youngsters eat up), she's making a point by wearing the clothes she wears about not selling sex, her voice style is very unique, and she's just got 18. Her visuals like she's a real artists and can see a music video before making the song (sounds familiar?). The potential is limited to her vocal range yes. But believe she'll surprise us in some years. And it's also crucial that her brother keeps his hands in her music I think too (which is gonna be difficult I think). Idk I see much more potential in her than those you named at least. I don't see this potential in many artists. And thats also why I'm kind of comparing her to Gaga and her artistry."

Diamond heart99
1 hour ago, Judas Oyster said:

I bothered copy pasting anyway what I wrote on Grammy's night before Billie the big 4 awards:

1. "I'm so incredibly proud of Billie. I was not expecting her to sing WTPIO (which is in top 3 Billie songs for me). She unsurprisingly did deliver exquisite vocals as usual.

I don't like saying this but my thoughts at the end were "Gaga is officially over". Probably will get hate for this. I'm just thinking form GP and music industry perspective. This performance represented that she actually sings beautifully, differently than most and has the potential of a full career at age 18. Music industry people are going to go even more crazy for her now (those that were sleeping on her). I read she's gonna sing for James Bond too. 

And imagine GP or non-fans were of course expecting "Bad guy" of her but got shocked in a positive way.

In terms of visuals she's pretty good too. Both clothing and specially music videos. Like I'm not directly comparing them but Billie is young NOW and therefore the younger generation will automatically listen to Billie. 

It's kind of sad for Gaga. Not many artists have been decent competition. As Gaga has been strategically focusing on quality music and vocal range ever since ARTPOP didn't do as expected commercially. Which has worked for her! But this new era is really important for Gaga in terms of future popularity. I think she will always be popular somehow but if she doesn't manage with this album she'll probably end up only making serious/vocal focused/traditional/grown up music in the future.

Ok this was not gonna be a long post I was only gonna compliment Billie for her performance but yeah I will just post it now that I've written all of this.

Before hateful replies: This is just my thoughts and how I see things regarding the music business and the careers of artists. I'm not saying anything negative about Gaga. I'm only talking about how a new generation will take over even if we don't like it or like it."

___

2. Answering to "ASIB soundtrack was biggest of the year comment..."

"I wrote all that to explain why I thought that. I don't mean she's gonna flop or be a commercial failure. The future is on LG6. We'll see what happens then.

C2C is incomparable with Gaga songs. Also to some degree is A Star Is Born. In between was Joanne. Million Reasons is a commercial success but a grown up/serious song. Perfect Illusion didn't do good. John Wayne (which I love) also didn't do good at all.

So that's why I'm thinking from a GP/music industry that it all depends on her new music. Will she be able to make people dance again or not basically. I'm afraid she's so grown up now that she will accept that her followers are grown up now and keep making quality music. When competition like Billie is now here it makes it even more difficult. I think most people (like me) in GagaDaily want a fun/danceable song from Gaga, or even an album. And commercial success. So I think I'm just over analyzing the situation. Of course she will keep making music we all know that. And I believe she'll never be broke and always have followers and critical success."

____

3. Answering to this comment "LMAO and WTF. Y'all need to stop with the crazy stan twitter mentality. It's not a competition, and even if it was a competition Gaga and Billie's music has very little cross over. Billie's more in the vein of Lana or Lorde. If Ava Max suddenly gained incredible vocals and started scoring #1 after #1, you may have had a point—but she hasn't. And yeah, there are always new "it" girls (some last, even when they lose their "it" girl status) and we all know it...doesn't mean Gaga's career is over."

Yeah. But Bad Guy isn't and she always uses deep and hard bass (she has said she loves it) which is very trendy in todays music. Even it's not hip-hop/trap she uses elements that relate to the GP nowadays. I don't think she or Finneas use it to exploit and gain popularity but it has apparently worked well as one of the reasons.

But of course there is room for Gaga in the industry and it will always be. Times change and streaming is leading the artists popularity. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's not many slots at the Grammy's for a lot of artists to sing slow and piano based songs. Now one is for Billie for sure. So in terms of music industry LG6 will have to show that she still can do more than sing slow beautiful songs.

This seems so negative/hating but I'm just expressing my opinion and how the commercial future of Gaga is in terms of my perspective. It's a discussion forum after all :)

____

4. Answering to "John Wayne wasn't a single..."

I know. I think she did that video only for us as a thank you for the support. It's extremely Gaga if you compare to PI, MR and Joanne.

Yeah, true it would probably have had a bigger effect but she did give it a video. Imagine Ariana or Billie just making a video for a non-single song. They are so extremely popular that it would help a lot. Gaga is just not getting these streaming points that are so important and crucial today. But again we'll see what LG6 brings. I do believe a disco influenced album (although Dua Lipa may use this sound) has a really big potential to be able to trend and have some songs on the radio nevertheless.

____

5. Answering to "I see what you are saying, but there is commercial success that can be found in being more "Adult Contemporary"-esque (e.g. Adele, Amy Winehouse, etc.), so even if Gaga releases new music that doesn't fit the mould of fun pop she might still find great commercial success. I kinda disagree that Billie represents the future, too. She looks more like a one-album wonder to me, sort of like Lorde or Norah Jones, or even Alanis Morissette in the 90s. The lyrics are wildly idiosyncratic and the style is experimental. Nothing bad with that, but rarely does that translate to long-lasting success a la Gaga, Madonna, Whitney, Beyonce, etc."

"Thanks for an actually proper reply!

I actually haven't thought about that and yes, I also believe she'll have a good career in the future, but maybe not commercially successful as most expect/want in here. The only thing when comparing to Adele, Amy etc is that that's who they are. They made the same kind of music from the beginning of their success and have been able to earn success with it. Where Gaga started with Just Dance/Pokerface electronic party music. She still has a chance if her incoming music is somewhat danceable, catchy and fun. But she's at risk of it not working and then having to stick with mature music. If Tony didn't exist, if the Sound of Music didn't exist and A Star is Born didn't exists would Shallow stream so much? I don't know. I don't believe Gaga will crush records like Adele and Amy if she switches to this kind of music bc that's not how she started. But then again we are growing up also and like more mature music, and she has earned the elders as a audience too. So I agree but in terms of having many top 10 singles like before I don't think so. Unless she keeps being supersmart by accompanying songs with movies, breath-taking performances and other elements outside of the music itself.

You may be right. Time will show  What I like about Billie is several things that don't even compare to Lorde or others. The lyrics are very deep and emotional, she's very likeable and relatable and fun (which youngsters eat up), she's making a point by wearing the clothes she wears about not selling sex, her voice style is very unique, and she's just got 18. Her visuals like she's a real artists and can see a music video before making the song (sounds familiar?). The potential is limited to her vocal range yes. But believe she'll surprise us in some years. And it's also crucial that her brother keeps his hands in her music I think too (which is gonna be difficult I think). Idk I see much more potential in her than those you named at least. I don't see this potential in many artists. And thats also why I'm kind of comparing her to Gaga and her artistry."

I stopped reading after the bold part. The very idea that two completely different artists can’t exist in the world is just plain silly.

Also, Billie sucks so much she makes my ass hurt. 

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

Judas Oyster
49 minutes ago, Ktaylor99 said:

I stopped reading after the bold part. The very idea that two completely different artists can’t exist in the world is just plain silly.

I didn't use bold. Which part do you mean?

I didn't write they can't co-exist. I don't know where you stopped reading. GP and music industry in the case at some point of having to prioritize  between two piano slow singing artist will probably choose the popular one. The one bringing millions of streams. For example at award shows. Not many in-demand artists can sit with a piano and sing beautifully. Gaga has been using these type of spots since C2C.

Well, that's unfortunate, but still your taste. I guess you're not even interested in trying to like her, but I must say there's a very objective point in differentiating vocal range and vocal style. Many criticize her range, but they are missing out her unique and effortless style of singing. Even Alicia couldn't mimic it. Which is why even the Grammy's give her credit for as Pop Vocal Album winner, they are not sleeping on her at least.

Lord Temptation
1 hour ago, Ktaylor99 said:

Billie actually puts me to sleep :poot:

When we all fall asleep, we go to a  place where Billie’s music can’t get to us :lolga:

hoiiestmadonna

The way an 18 year old has grown ass adults fuming for a week is amazing honestly. Y’all are starting to look like madonsters GET OVER KT ALREADY. 

Diamond heart99
25 minutes ago, Judas Oyster said:

I didn't use bold. Which part do you mean?

I didn't write they can't co-exist. I don't know where you stopped reading. GP and music industry in the case at some point of having to prioritize  between two piano slow singing artist will probably choose the popular one. The one bringing millions of streams. For example at award shows. Not many in-demand artists can sit with a piano and sing beautifully. Gaga has been using these type of spots since C2C.

Well, that's unfortunate, but still your taste. I guess you're not even interested in trying to like her, but I must say there's a very objective point in differentiating vocal range and vocal style. Many criticize her range, but they are missing out her unique and effortless style of singing. Even Alicia couldn't mimic it. Which is why even the Grammy's give her credit for as Pop Vocal Album winner, they are not sleeping on her at least.

Um, I put it in bold...but I’m not surprised you couldn’t find it in the Rachel Green length letter you wrote. 

I stopped reading after you claimed Gaga was over because Billie is hot right now. I might have been willing to talk this out with you, but that was just a bold dumb statement. 

LG should be worried because Billie whispered a ballad while someone else played the piano?! Okay Beavis. 

Come back to me when Billie has the career LG has had - and her music doesn’t sound like Nintendo games from 1986.

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

Judas Oyster
7 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Billie actually puts me to sleep :poot:

When we all fall asleep, we go to a  place where Billie’s music can’t get to us :lolga:

Time to have an awakening :icega:

Judas Oyster
3 minutes ago, Ktaylor99 said:

Um, I put it in bold...but I’m not surprised you couldn’t find it in the Rachel Green length letter you wrote. 

I stopped reading after you claimed Gaga was over because Billie is hot right now. I might have been willing to talk this out with you, but that was just a bold dumb statement. 

LG should be worried because Billie whispered a ballad while someone else played the piano?! Okay Beavis. 

Come back to me when Billie has the career LG has had - and her music doesn’t sound like Nintendo games from 1986.

Since you didn't even bother to read you didn't see what I meant by that statement and I won't repeat myself unless you bring something debatable. 

Ok I saw it low quality and stuttering while streaming only thought it was her. She's played the piano since younger than Gaga and plays other instruments too. As I tried to explain earlier one of my points it's her future potential.

Sure, she still has 15 + years ahead of her to develop. 

• Admin locked this topic

Archived