💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why Stupid Love makes so much sense as a lead single

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

I absolutely adore Stupid Love, and I think it is an absolute banger, and it can be played anywhere and everywhere, from radio stations to clubs to shopping malls to clothing stores to restaurants, urgh it's just so UNIVERSAL. I love everything she did in the past, but let's be honest, lyrics like 'high like amphetamine' and 'One second I'm a koons and suddenly the koons is me' aren't exactly digestible for the ordinary audience. Now I know what you're thinking:

But Bradley, since when do we condone Gaga catering to mainstream audiences? This is Lady Gaga!

#1 Lady Gaga, is a pop artist, and she still needs to perform well commercially, she answers to an entire team of people who depend on her for their wages. Interscope also plays a role in choosing the most commercially profitable song. It's like how they picked Applause over Aura.

#2 This is why it makes so much sense to have something 'less intelligent' to be the lead.

If you've noticed how recent artists with great albums, Taylor Swift with Lover, Selena Gomez with Rare, Madonna with Madame X, started with mediocre lead singles? Fans have expressed their lack of satisfaction with the leads (Me!, Look at Her Now/Lose You to Love Me, Medellin/Crave/Future), but end up praising the albums to the heavens? This sentiment is also echoed by the critics, who all gave their leads mixed reviews but very positively reviewed their albums.

Compare this to Katy Perry who started strong with Chained to the Rhythm, promising a political 'woke' era, and then Witness ending up being disastrous.

With Stupid Love, Gaga is able to tone down the expectations for LG6, not because she can't deliver, but because it is a smarter strategy to play with the critics' and our psychology. We all remember how she promised ARTPOP to be the album of the millennium, promising how it was gonna revolutionise the chemistry between ART and POP, and critics ended up asking 'where is the art in this pop album?' Stupid Love does exactly the opposite, it promises nothing. It's meant to be a mega-hit that everyone eats up, meant to be escapism, meant to be played everywhere, have everyone dancing, have everyone be reminded of 'Lady Gaga' as the pop queen we once knew. It is a great transition from Joanne and A Star Is Born, before the real thing comes. Once she has established her comeback without actually heightening our expectations too much, she can easily secure more positive reviews for her album. Lover succeeeded in that, Rare did, even Anti did.

Work was panned by so many pop fans for its ludicrous lyrics, and Anti ended up being a fcking masterpiece? Work also got nominated for Record of the Year and Best Rap/Sung, if i'm not mistaken.

LG6 has come, but it hasn't arrived yet. Once this is over, Gaga'll be like "Okay now we've had fun, now that I've gotten the world's attention, are we ready for the things that the radios and the GP don't feel comfortable playing?"

LilyLark

Agree. When people talk about simple lyrics, I'm like...um, I love Bad Romance, but it is not lyrically complex and Just Dance is far "simpler" than Stupid Love. Simple and catchy is frankly what "sells," and it doesn't mean a song can't be a banger.

Also, I follow several entertainment/etc. journos on twitter—who have big accounts —and 5 out of 7 of them love it. Ira Madison is the biggest deal, because he has a VERY popular podcast—if Gaga drops it on Thursday he'll definitely mention it on there and that can get the song some more attention. And I think people need to chill about negative tweets. The vast majority are positive, but Gaga's always been polarizing so there are always going to be some people who just don't like her music. I feel like there's some revisionist history going on with fans where they think everyone was in love with The Fame and TFM—there were definitely some detractors back then even about Bad Romance and Poker Face.

Gov Hooka
17 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

I love Bad Romance, but it is not lyrically complex and Just Dance is far "simpler" than Stupid Love. 

First Just Dance is NOT far simpler than Stupid Love. Y’all seem to forget one of the quirkiest bridges I’ve ever heard in a number 1 pop song-the half psychotic sick hypnotic part. Y’all love to denigrate the clever lyrics and wordplay of Just Dance, BR, and PF to make Stupid Love seem better in comparison. Let’s not. You can’t zoom in on ANY part of the Stupid Love lyrics (granted it’s the leak and not necessarily final version) and find any clever, cool, even remotely interesting Gaga esque lyrics.

Second, no one is asking for lyrics discussing climate change and ending poverty or weird ass metaphors for some lyrical depth. With Gaga though, there is an expectation that even with ready made dance bops, there is some underlying theme or message. The lyrics don’t have that kind of depth, whether you take them at face value or try to reach and inject meaning into them. 

Third I’m going to wait for the official release of this to cast a final judgement even though a part of me deep down really hopes this isn’t the lead and is part of some elaborate marketing stunt.

FfFfFfFF
44 minutes ago, Bradley said:

If you've noticed how recent artists with great albums,Selena Gomez with Rare

:oprah:

LilyLark
2 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

First Just Dance is NOT far simpler than Stupid Love. Y’all seem to forget one of the quirkiest bridges I’ve ever heard in a number 1 pop song-the half psychotic sick hypnotic part. Y’all love to denigrate the clever lyrics and wordplay of Bad Romance to make Stupid Love seem better in comparison. Let’s not. You can’t zoom in on ANY part of the Stupid Love lyrics (granted of the leak and not necessarily final version) and find any clever, cool, even remotely interesting Gaga esque lyrics.

Second, no one is asking for lyrics discussing climate change and ending poverty or weird ass metaphors for some lyrical depth. With Gaga though, there is an expectation that even with ready made dance bops, there is some underlying theme or message. The lyrics don’t have that kind of depth, whether you take them at face value or try to reach and inject meaning into them. 

Third I’m going to wait for the official release of this to cast a final judgement even though a part of me deep down really hopes this isn’t the lead and is part of some elaborate marketing stunt.

I'm..not denigrating Bad Romance? And yeah, Just Dance has more words obviously but there's literally a line that goes "drive it, clean it, lysol, bleed it" which is entirely nonsensical and "spend the last dough in your pock o." Anyway, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Bradley
5 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

The whole point of this releasing strategy that I explained in the OP is not to promise anything. Chained to the Rhythm, you might argue, is a deeper song but again, the attempt at 'depth' of that song is precisely what made Witness so disappointing (to the critics and pop fans, not me). She gave the impression that the entire album mirrors the direction of Chained to the Rhythm when it doesn't. At this point, if the lead single is not indicative of the entire album, it's better to start slow rather than strong.

It's like how some runners deliberately save their energy for the end of the race.

LilyLark
2 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

:oprah:

Not a fan of Rare, but it has a 76 on metcritic...which is about what Gaga and Adele usually receive.

FfFfFfFF
5 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

Not a fan of Rare, but it has a 76 on metcritic...which is about what Gaga and Adele usually receive.

And?

Uniquecorn

This has to be a BTW reject. I hope they don't recycle it for LG6 :pray:

I dont think V5 has enough potential energy for a cataclysmic impact, just isn't enough for a lead single (SL V5 is very B-side).

There's still time for a better lead single :poot: C'mon Gags :party:

StupidLoveBis

It's the lead. We have to make that clear. Otherwise, why did you put the name in the site's source code? Stop being delelu. 
I just don't understand why it's always gaga whose songs leak every time.
It never happens to Beyonce, Rihanna...And it's not the record company's fault because tracks like Selena's never leak either.
It just makes me pissed off that the gaga crew had been seeing the leaks for days even months. They knew that one day the whole track would leak, it's crazy not to have a loan, a backup plan when the whole track would have leaked! What level of amateurism is this?

Dirtyicecreamz

When she says "All I ever wanted was love" the melody reminds me of that song from the breakfast club. It's so 80s. 

Stop the music, Start the drama.

Bradley
19 minutes ago, Uniquecorn said:

This has to be a BTW reject. I hope they don't recycle it for LG6 :pray:

I dont think V5 has enough potential energy for a cataclysmic impact, just isn't enough for a lead single (SL V5 is very B-side).

There's still time for a better lead single :poot: C'mon Gags :party:

WHat is V5?

Bradley
17 minutes ago, StupidLoveBis said:

It's the lead. We have to make that clear. Otherwise, why did you put the name in the site's source code? Stop being delelu. 

I'm saying it is the lead single and a good choice. Did you read the OP?

Uniquecorn
6 minutes ago, Bradley said:

WHat is V5?

V5, like the second song that leaked after Stupid Love! Don't make me post the link here!

Spoiler

Version 5 of Stupid Love :kiss:

Archived