💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Ceremony: Dolly Parton's Greatest Hits (Part 1)

rumours

Featured Posts

rumours
3 minutes ago, Davian said:

This megarate inspired me to listen to most/all of Dolly's discography:vegas: I think I'll just start from the beginning till the end. I really liked most of these songs:diane:

I have both a Greatest Hits (Part 2) and a Deep Cuts playlist already made on Spotify.

Feel free to use those if you want to dip your toe into listening to more Dolly :heart:

If you try to go through her whole discography in a row, it is quite the daunting task (so be warned lol)

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Davian
2 minutes ago, rumours said:

#16: Baby I'm Burnin' (1978)

What even:messga: Another 10 gone. Songs like You're The Only One, Starting Over Again and Heartbreaker deserved to go before this:nails:

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

Chromatica

I don't know who you people are anymore.  I just don't know. Baby I'm Burnin at #16? Might as well end it here. 

giphy.gif 

Chromatica
1 minute ago, Davian said:

What even:messga: Another 10 gone. Songs like You're The Only One, Starting Over Again and Heartbreaker deserved to go before this:nails:

Exactly this omg

Fun fact: just for this megarate and for @rumours I've heard Dolly's whole discography, truly an experience :pray:

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

1 minute ago, Lois Griffin said:

I don't know who you people are anymore.  I just don't know. Baby I'm Burnin at #16? Might as well end it here. 

giphy.gif 

I felt that way about some other songs that left.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Davian
2 minutes ago, rumours said:

I have both a Greatest Hits (Part 2) and a Deep Cuts playlist already made on Spotify.

Feel free to use those if you want to dip your toe into listening to more Dolly :heart:

If you try to go through her whole discography in a row, it is quite the daunting task (so be warned lol)

Thank you!:heart: Though I prefer to listen to the original albums over Greatest Hits albums, so I think I'll do that! I always keep track of which albums I listened to so that'll help me navigate through her albums easier:) I can always take a break after a few albums and come back later.

rumours

#15: My Tennessee Mountain Home (1973)

tn-dolly-parton-performs-1973_usace_680.

Average Score: 8.25

High Score: 11 @OG Gaga Stan

Low Score: 5.5 @Blue Madonna

Comments:

@Lois Griffin ~ “I never gave this song a second look before listening to the podcast Dolly Parton's America, but I now understand its magic. This song has so much power in that it speaks to the nostalgic, homesick heart regardless of whether or not they grew up in a Tennessee mountain home.”

Chart Information:

US Hot Country Songs Peak: #15 (Spent 13 Weeks on Chart)

Canadian RPM Country Tracks Peak: #10

Song Information:

“My Tennessee Mountain Home” is an interesting story in that neither the track nor the album of the same name reached the Top 10. Parton’s first true concept album, it was released to very mixed initial reviews from those in Nashville. For one, the album deviated heavily from the radio-friendly Nashville early 1970s sound, utilizing far less steel guitar than what was palatable commercially. It has remained a fan favorite and is now considered one of her best albums of the early 1970s.

Other Nominations (N) and Wins (W) Associated With the My Tennessee Mountain Home Era:

Top Female Vocalist of 1973 (Academy of Country Music Awards) (N)

Tennesseehome.jpg

The Song:

Live Performance:

Cover:

Chromatica
2 minutes ago, Ronk said:

I love your comments on the songs @Lois Griffin  :heart:

Thank you! :yay: It was really fun to think about these songs and write them.

Davian
6 minutes ago, Davian said:

Songs like You're The Only One, Starting Over Again and Heartbreaker deserved to go before this:nails:

Let me repeat myself, because an undeserved song left again:madge:

Chromatica

In my Tennessee Mountain Home :music:

Okay so in the podcast Dolly Parton's America the host suggests that My Tennessee Mountain Home is a song that everyone from Tennessee knows. My friend @Tranquility denies that he has ever heard this song, but I choose to believe that he just has a bad memory. 

rumours

#14: You're The Only One (1979)

dolly-parton-portrait-session-george-ros

Average Score: 8.26

High Score: 11 @dllcll

Low Score: 5.7 @Mirages

Comments:

@Lois Griffin ~ “I hadn't heard this song before this megarate. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. I really enjoy the guitar on this song.”

Chart Information:

Canadian RPM Country Tracks: #1

Canadian RPM Top Singles: #63

Canadian RPM Adult Contemporary: #9

U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles: #1 (14 Week on Chart)

U.S. Billboard Hot 100: #59 (6 Weeks on Chart)

U.S. Adult Contemporary: #14 (12 Weeks on Chart)

Song Information:

After the successful album eras that were “Here You Come Again” and “Heartbreaker”, Parton closed the 1970s with what was her most pop album thus far. The “Great Balls of Fire” album’s lead single was the track “You’re The Only One”, which was sent to radio in June of 1979. It is of note that this is the third lead single in a row which was actually not written by Parton herself. Regardless, it became her Fifth consecutive chart topper since 1977. The Great Balls of Fire album ended up being certified Gold in the U.S., peaking at #40 (17 Weeks) on the Billboard 200.

Other Nominations (N) and Wins (W) Associated With the “Great Balls of Fire” Era:

Academy of Country Music Award (1979) – Top Female Vocalist (N)

Academy of Country Music Award (1979) – Song of the Year for “You’re The Only One” (N)

British Country Music Award (1979) – Female Vocalist of the Year (W)

CMT Music Award (1979) – Female Vocalist of the Year (N)

Dolly%2520Parton%2520-%2520Great%2520Bal

The Song:

Performance:

Cover:

None available

Archived