Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Dems CAVE To Trump On Defense Budget

Featured Posts

Faysalaaa

Despite Democrats being the majority in house, a bill just passed to increase Trumps military budget for the second time! The first time, Democrats like Pelosi and Warren voted to give him more money than he asked for. They even allowed him to increased his NSA spying. The new Bill does not even reverse Trumps ban on Transgender people joining the military.

But wait, I thought Trump was a dangerous unhinged maniac dictator? I though Trump is a untrusted Putin puppet working for Russia? yet they want to give him all this military power? They cant oppose Trump on substance like his Military Budget, because if the Democrats did, they would be opposing the establishment which they represent. They represent Raytheon, Boeing, Wall Street, and Big Pharma. Thats why the Democrats have to oppose Trump on a phone call to Ukraine and Russiagate and fail on it. If they oppose Trump on this, their donors will get mad.

Bush was spending $500 billion at the height of the Iraq war, now with the help of the Democrats, Trump is spending over $735 Billion! How about you take $100 Billion out of the military and spend it on the American people who are asking for basic rights the rest of the western world enjoys?

Source: https://theintercept.com/2019/12/10/ndaa-congress-defense-bill/

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Sad 7

Economy

While I don't Love Bernie Sanders (no offence meant to his supporters here)...

One thing I love is that he's one of the few that has seriously suggested reducing America's bloated military budget!

The amount the US spends on military is a serious financial drain that can better be used for healthcare, education, infrastructure or even important investments like green energy :madge:

Then there's the labor that's wasted too. Trump complains about the trade deficit...

Having hundreds of thousands (or is it millions?) Of military personnel that consume like everyone else but do nothing industrially productive that can be sold does not help that trade deficit he loves to talk about and blame on bad trade deals

Edited by Economy
  • Like 3

Gagaloo92

So pathetic. The WEAK Democratic leadership always caving to Republicans. The reason here though is quite obvious: they're both beholden to the big donors who want this a la military industrial complex. 

Next time an establishment Democrat tries to tell you they care about the trans community, or will fight for DACA, or any other issues they're supposedly going to fight for, just remember how disingenuous they are and that they won't really fight or actually do anything about it. 

Case in point, they originally had a defense bill which would:

-overrule Trump's military ban

-help DACA recipients 

-prevent money from the DoD being used to fund the border wall

All of which they scrapped! In fact, they gave Republicans everything they wanted. Trump literally tweeted about how he got EVERYTHING he wanted from the bill. And what did Dmeocrats get in return?? Yea, nothing..

They're truly an embarrassment for an opposition party. 

Also, whenever it's anything to help the people or improve the country, it's always "bUt hOw WiLl wE pAy FOr iT!!"

But once it's the military they can give away literally trillions and waste billions and no one even bats an eye.. 

I'm disgusted. 

Edited by Gagaloo92
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

PartySick

Didn't we get paid family leave for federal workers in exchange? Lile Dems only voted yes because of that addition. Or was that a different bill? :huh:

Oh well, either way, that's a STUPID amount to spend on the military :toofunny: like half our country's budget. Stupid.

I'm a person and the person that I am can change 🥀
  • Like 1

PoshLife

I'm not surprised they agreed to raise the defense budget - keep in mind nearly every congressional district has at least one military installation, so most members of congress will want to brag about what they can bring home to military families in their district. And of course, the military pay raise and family leave will increase the $ amount attached to this bill.

I'm surprised they agreed to border wall funding, not backfilling the military construction account which Trump RAIDED for border wall funding, and creating the Space Force, though. I'm not sure what they got in exchange for that - I've generally found that Speaker Pelosi and House Democrats have been able negotiators against President Trump, particularly when it comes to the federal budget, so maybe there's something I'm not aware of... but this was surprising indeed.

creek creek butter cartman yaoi kyle creek creek
  • Like 2

Gagaloo92
5 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

I'm not surprised they agreed to raise the defense budget - keep in mind nearly every congressional district has at least one military installation, so most members of congress will want to brag about what they can bring home to military families in their district. And of course, the military pay raise and family leave will increase the $ amount attached to this bill.

I'm surprised they agreed to border wall funding, not backfilling the military construction account which Trump RAIDED for border wall funding, and creating the Space Force, though. I'm not sure what they got in exchange for that - I've generally found that Speaker Pelosi and House Democrats have been able negotiators against President Trump, particularly when it comes to the federal budget, so maybe there's something I'm not aware of... but this was surprising indeed.

It's really not surprising at all. Pelosi has really proved time and time again she's willing to give Trump exactly what he wants and get hardly anything if anything in return. 

Just look at the win she and the House leadership gave to Trump a couple days ago with the new NAFTA thing. Now he gets to go tout that as a win for him, along with Space Force and paid family leave now which he's already claiming. 

For someone who's apparently such a "master" legislator she's really a lousy negotiator. It's honestly embarrassing for her. Idk how she lives with herself. 

Edited by Gagaloo92
  • Like 2

Faysalaaa
8 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Didn't we get paid family leave for federal workers in exchange? Lile Dems only voted yes because of that addition. Or was that a different bill? :huh:

Oh well, either way, that's a STUPID amount to spend on the military :toofunny: like half our country's budget. Stupid.

Yes family leave not for the entire country, only for federal workers. They also did not get it because Democrats drew the line, they got it because Ivanka Trump went to daddy and asked him to keep it in the bill  

• Like 1

PartySick
1 minute ago, Faysalaaa said:

Yes family leave not for the entire country, only for federal workers. They also did not get it because Democrats drew the line, they got it because Ivanka Trump went to daddy and asked him to keep it in the bill  

Oof :bradley:

Well this is my biggest issue with being a Democrat tbh. We control the house and we're ready to play fair but every bill that gets passed in the house dies in the Republican senate.

If Dems didn't vote yes on this, there would have been a successful "democrats hate the military!" campaign. And the US loves its military more than oxygen.

So I can see why they caved but I wish for once they wouldn't.

• Like 3

Faysalaaa
3 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Oof :bradley:

Well this is my biggest issue with being a Democrat tbh. We control the house and we're ready to play fair but every bill that gets passed in the house dies in the Republican senate.

If Dems didn't vote yes on this, there would have been a successful "democrats hate the military!" campaign. And the US loves its military more than oxygen.

So I can see why they caved but I wish for once they wouldn't.

I think most of the country today are against high military budget, including republicans and Trump supporters. Even Fox News speak out against it and allow criticism of Trump on this subject.

Edited by Faysalaaa
  • Like 1

PartySick
Just now, Faysalaaa said:

I think most of the country today are against high military budget, including republicans and Trump supporters.

They're keeping it secret from me if that's the case :laughga: is there polling on that? I stepped back from the political sphere after Trump's "win" to save myself from the anxiety :rip:

Faysalaaa
16 minutes ago, PartySick said:

They're keeping it secret from me if that's the case :laughga: is there polling on that? I stepped back from the political sphere after Trump's "win" to save myself from the anxiety :rip:

Im not sure about polling statistics, but from what I see, most republicans today oppose war and military spending. Alot of republicans love Trump and Tulsi for being Anti War (even thought Trump lied). Fox News Tucker Carson constantly speaks against wars and actually stopped Trump from bombing Iran!

Im not saying Republicans are good on war, im saying the general public including republican voters wont attack Democrats for opposing this bill.

But I did find this poll:
https://news.gallup.com/poll/228137/americans-not-convinced-needs-spend-defense.aspx

Edited by Faysalaaa

Ladey Gaygay

We should be spending more on public services such as clean water, infrastructure, parks, and EDUCATION not a military to fight for some f.ucking oil barons who view soldiers as disposable

𝖎 𝖘𝖑𝖊𝖊𝖕 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝖌𝖚𝖞𝖘 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖋𝖚𝖓 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖉𝖗𝖚𝖌𝖘
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PoshLife
1 hour ago, Gagaloo92 said:

It's really not surprising at all. Pelosi has really proved time and time again she's willing to give Trump exactly what he wants and get hardly anything if anything in return. 

Just look at the win she and the House leadership gave to Trump a couple days ago with the new NAFTA thing. Now he gets to go tout that as a win for him, along with Space Force and paid family leave now which he's already claiming. 

For someone who's apparently such a "master" legislator she's really a lousy negotiator. It's honestly embarrassing for her. Idk how she lives with herself. 

USMCA is not just a win for Trump. There are a LOT of moderate Democrats who have been hearing from their constituents for the past year about how important it is that USMCA be ratified. If you're a Democrat representing a rural area--and many of the Frontline members who flipped Trump districts in 2018 are--then you know your constituents NEED international trade deals. And House Democrats held this up for MONTHS so they could continue negotiating to make the deal workable for labor. The only reason they're taking a vote on it is because the AFL-CIO has signed off on it. My understanding is that the labor and environmental protections are better than the original NAFTA; just because Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez isn't gonna vote for it doesn't mean it's a bad deal. Even Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio has announced he's going to vote for it--the first trade deal that the famously pro-labor senator is voting for.

If you think it's bad politics for House Democrats to support Trump's renegotiation of NAFTA, you have no IDEA how bad the politics would be for them to oppose it. Don't forget who the majority makers are.

I don't think Speaker Pelosi has any trouble sleeping at night or living with herself. Her party controls ONE of the three entities that must act in unison in order for anything to become law, but she's been able to wield her power effectively to get the President--who has proven he's 100% fine with government shutdowns--to sign several budgets that didn't include any of his priorities like new border wall funding. This latest development is indeed different, and I'm still waiting to see what exactly is in it for House Democrats, but keep in mind you don't want your party to be the one that held up passing the military authorization bill. That, too, is bad politics for the reason I mentioned in my first post. And that's a big part of why you aren't seeing controversial policy riders, like lifting the trans service ban or revoking previous AUMFs, in the bill. It is a must-pass bill.

creek creek butter cartman yaoi kyle creek creek
  • Like 1