Coldplay not touring due to environmental impact

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Edonis said:

I have no idea :laughga:

I just know that comments like this usually mean they're doing residencies and that the USA needs better train systems :laughga:

Gods. I would be in a different town every week!

USA needs an actual train system. You'd think with the big deal of the continental railroad, we'd have a better train system. 

Nope. 

I mean, I do want to ride a nice old romantic train. 

But also I don't wanna take seven days to get to California. 

StrawberryBlond

At least they're practising what they preach. So many celebrities show up to climate change conventions in private jets or SUVs, not a hint of irony in their minds. So good for them actually thinking about the environmental impact of touring. However, even if every artist in the world decided to stop touring, it would still have minimal impact. Flights occur every single day all over the world for people taking vacations, visiting family, going to work, import/export transfer. They're acting as if touring artists are the #1 cause of plane emissions. Sure, private jets put out more but how else are you going to get you plus all your entourage and heavy touring equipment abroad via commercial flight? It's the one case where I say private jet usage is fine. Out of all the things they could fight, this one probably has the least environmental impact. Outright banning of planes is the only thing that will end that, not refraining from international touring.

1 hour ago, Chic said:

Imagine a guy using this as an excuse not to drive to a date with you

I always notice it's the super strict environmental types who have no jobs or make any real difference to the world who are this extreme. There's a husband and wife vegan channel on YouTube that asks for donations so they can live a life without jobs, ensuring that they can devote every day to improving animal welfare. These people are healthy adults in their 30's, live in a different Asian country every year or so, have no children, live a minimalist lifestyle with no luxuries and flog cheap vegan t-shirts online and host a paid subscription podcast. They wondered why people called them lazy and ungrateful for relying on donations to get by so they didn't have to get jobs. It's ironic that these types are all about wanting to wake people up from the messages society's taught you and then live in their own little world themselves.

Edonis
33 minutes ago, Seeka said:

Gods. I would be in a different town every week!

USA needs an actual train system. You'd think with the big deal of the continental railroad, we'd have a better train system. 

Nope. 

I mean, I do want to ride a nice old romantic train. 

But also I don't wanna take seven days to get to California. 

I would love to see something like this, just in principle that it would cut down traffic congestion and reduce the amount of local flights (see parts of Europe and Japan). 

One of my biggest gripes about Houston is that we lack a true train system. We have a light rail that stays in one part of town (that you can bike faster than) and a really poor bus system. Traffic is at an all time high and it can take upwards 3 to 4 hours just to traverse the city during rush hour. I wish we had some sort of train system that could potentially cut street congestion and improve commute times but ahhh...I don't know why it hasn't happened. 

I think the benefits would be even greater state-wise and nationally. 

Didymus

Nope. Don't like this. It sends a bad message. Combatting climate change is not going to rely on a few celebs not flying. It's the millions of people who drive a car every day that are the problem :rip: It's people who are still consuming animal products that are the problem.

There's so many better ways to spread awareness about climate change. They should go on tour and promote veganism instead tbh. Way bigger impact, way more sensible.

SchwineLove

The way this debated itself is an effective awareness raising. It's quite effective to make a talk, this is how it done in the social media era right, any kind of talk is triggering a good amount of awareness.

gumzy3000

This doesn’t make much sense? Is it because of the airplane pollution? They can still tour but they just shouldn’t fly. They could seriously take a boat or coach bus if they are really do want to tour. They would just have to have a wider gap between shows but that’s really all. And thier is absolutely no reason to take private jets .

I saw there last tour and it was truly a spectacle and I’m kinda sad they are not touring again. 

trolly troll troll

Reject False Icons

Well finally someone talked about it, imagine the pollution of transporting the whole production thought states, countries and continents 

and transporting the artist team is not cheap either 

Economy
1 hour ago, Edonis said:

I have no idea :laughga:

I just know that comments like this usually mean they're doing residencies and that the USA needs better train systems :laughga:

Everytime i go to Portugal to visit my fam im reminded of how great the train and public transportation systems are in Europe and how lackluster they are here in Canada by comparison 

I dont know why North Anerica cant get its sh*t together with stuff like this

theres a major train corridor in NE USA (i think its near NJ but im not sure) thats in desperate need of a $30 Billion repair and maintnance and if it fails wouod cause a recession in that part of the US from stranded commuters who couldnt make it to work

Economy
7 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

This doesn’t make much sense? Is it because of the airplane pollution? They can still tour but they just shouldn’t fly. They could seriously take a boat or coach bus if they are really do want to tour. They would just have to have a wider gap between shows but that’s really all. And thier is absolutely no reason to take private jets .

I saw there last tour and it was truly a spectacle and I’m kinda sad they are not touring again. 

Sounds like a lame excuse tbh. Its not a tour thats gonna make any difference whats so ever

like u said too if they are truly that concerned theres other ways to get around

not flying by private jet like celebrities often do and just book a seat on a normal passanger plane that was already due to fly is another option

Economy

@Edonis

Found it

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/03/the-gateway-project-doesnt-need-trumps-approval/556106/

Heres a quote from the article:

The Gateway Tunnel is vital to our New York economy, [and] is vital to the whole Northeast,’’ Schumer said in July. “The tunnels that now go under the Hudson are old … and Sandy was the final blow. If they collapse, if they are not used, if they fail, we will go into a recession immediately. No one will get across the Hudson.’’

As it stands, the millions of passengers who cross the existing North River tunnelsface frequent delays due to mechanical failures in the infrastructure, which were worsened by Hurricane Sandy’s flooding. On both sides of the river, Republican and Democratic lawmakers have insisted that without a major overhaul, one of the deteriorating tunnels could face long-term closure, which would “essentially shut down the Northeast Corridor.”

That overhaul—the core of which would be adding an tunnel for redundancy and capacity—would be extraordinarily costly, with the total cost now pegged at nearly $30 billion. It would also have extraordinary local impacts. Gateway is the kind of project a national infrastructure investment program should indeed fund.

Edonis
1 minute ago, Economy said:

@Edonis

Found it

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/03/the-gateway-project-doesnt-need-trumps-approval/556106/

Heres a quote from the article:

The Gateway Tunnel is vital to our New York economy, [and] is vital to the whole Northeast,’’ Schumer said in July. “The tunnels that now go under the Hudson are old … and Sandy was the final blow. If they collapse, if they are not used, if they fail, we will go into a recession immediately. No one will get across the Hudson.’’

As it stands, the millions of passengers who cross the existing North River tunnelsface frequent delays due to mechanical failures in the infrastructure, which were worsened by Hurricane Sandy’s flooding. On both sides of the river, Republican and Democratic lawmakers have insisted that without a major overhaul, one of the deteriorating tunnels could face long-term closure, which would “essentially shut down the Northeast Corridor.”

That overhaul—the core of which would be adding an tunnel for redundancy and capacity—would be extraordinarily costly, with the total cost now pegged at nearly $30 billion. It would also have extraordinary local impacts. Gateway is the kind of project a national infrastructure investment program should indeed fund.

Yeah that needs to get fixed with a more environmentally-sound solution. The whole NE is pretty much dependent on that train system, any sort of catastrophic damage to it will lead to a pretty awful collapse. So many people are dependent on it. 

I think the train systems get ignored way too much in the States/Canada. I feel like it's a better solution in the long-run for traffic, environmental impacts, and quality of life (in more local situations), but there needs to be careful planning with this. 

Lion Heart

Omg, he's like ~so woke~

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Regina George

:awkney: the level of unprofessional behavior is too much. This “excuse” is just absurd. Sorry. 

Archived