Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

Native Latino War Veteran Almost Deported

Featured Posts

Marilyn MonHoe

8-CC7-CADA-2-F40-4849-AF93-011-B53968265

Grand Rapids will pay a $190,000 settlement to a Latino American war veteran who was wrongfully detained by federal immigration officials.

The City Commission unanimously approved the payment to Jilmar Ramos-Gomez on Tuesday to resolve a Michigan Department of Civil Rights complaint.

Ramos-Gomez was detained last December by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials for deportation after he was arrested on trespassing charges, said immigration attorneys. ICE and county officials had confused Ramos-Gomez, 27, with being an immigrant even though he had his U.S. passport and other ID on him at the time of his arrest.

He was held for three days and set to be deported, until his mother contacted an attorney to rescue him from jail. 

The detention outraged his family and civil rights attorneys who say it's an example of how immigration and county officials have become overzealous in immigration enforcement. They also say it's an example of racial profiling of Latinos by immigration officials, and police.

"I don't feel good about what they did to my son," Maria Gomez-Velaquez, his mother, told the Detroit Free Press during a phone interview. "They were not listening to my son even though he had ID on him. It's not right. My son is from here, he's born here, a United States citizen. He served in the Marines, the military, but they don't care what my son did for his country."

While the mother of Gomez-Ramos is an immigrant from Guatemala, it's unclear what country ICE wanted to deport Ramos-Gomez to.

Police Capt. Curtis VanderKooi served a 20-hour, unpaid suspension for violating department policy after he alerted ICE about Ramos-Gomez' arrest.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan and Michigan Immigrant Rights Center filed the complaint on Ramos-Gomez’s behalf in April, saying VanderKooi discriminated against him based on his race, violating the state’s Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act.

Born and raised in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Ramos-Gomez served in Afghanistan from 2011 to 2014 as a tank crewman and lance corporal. He was awarded a global war on terrorism service medal, national defense service medal, an Afghanistan campaign medal, and a combat action ribbon, among other awards, said the ACLU.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/11/14/us-born-latino-marine-gets-190-k-after-ice-error/4189140002/

• Sad 9

Marilyn MonHoe

Disgusting how the racist police chief only got a slap on the wrist :awkney:

• Like 7

ALGAYDO

ICE is racist trash, we been knew 

Gummy Bear ➡️ NOT Marinara ➡️ HOMODRAKE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

derpmonster

He had his passport too. Literally the gold standard of citizenship... :awkney:

Join my FB Gaga sh*tposting group: I'll Never Release LG6 https://www.facebook.com/groups/185450449037808/
  • Like 5

StarstruckIllusion

White nationalism is a REAL mental illness whew. Bc how the **** else do you **** up this badly. 

• Like 1

Marilyn MonHoe
19 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

ICE is racist trash, we been knew 

12 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

He had his passport too. Literally the gold standard of citizenship... :awkney:

Thank god president Bernie has plans to abolish ICE and the CBP :firega:

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 1

AndyDWUW

This is why tf we need to abolish ICE

Reminder that WARren said we need ICE? Need ice for what!? For these kinds of cases?! 

Smh

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oshawott

It was a mistake and he deserves an apology.

But not y'all acting as if ICE is the same as the Gestapo; keep trying that "Trump is Hitler" angle I guess.  :lmao:

• LMAO 3

Haruki Murakami
3 minutes ago, Oshawott said:

But not y'all acting as if ICE is the same as the Gestapo; keep trying that "Trump is Hitler" angle I guess.  :lmao:

Oh wow sis, the racist jumped out :vegas:

• Like 9

skaxboy
4 minutes ago, Oshawott said:

This was more than just a mistake, my fellow Trumpster qween. 

This was downright racism. This was disgusting and plain disrespectful to a Marine. What a horrible way to treat a person who had honored their country. I’m surprised the conservatives aren’t enraged by this mistreatment of a war veteran. 

• Like 3

Ladey Gaygay
12 minutes ago, Oshawott said:

ICE literally is the Gestapo-

𝖎 𝖘𝖑𝖊𝖊𝖕 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝖌𝖚𝖞𝖘 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖋𝖚𝖓 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖉𝖗𝖚𝖌𝖘

Meredith Grey
5 minutes ago, skaxboy said:

I’m surprised the conservatives aren’t enraged by this mistreatment of a war veteran. 

I know. I can’t qwhite put my finger on why they aren’t:enigma:

• Like 2
  • LMAO 3

ALGAYDO
17 minutes ago, Oshawott said:

Oh yes, profiling a Latino and assuming he’s an illegal immigrant just because of his ethnicity, even tho he had proof stating otherwise, is just a mistake. Totally wasn’t racist at all. Also, the sky is green and grass is blue. 

Gummy Bear ➡️ NOT Marinara ➡️ HOMODRAKE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Thanks 5

Marilyn MonHoe
Just now, ALGAYDO said:

Oh yes, profiling a Latino and assuming he’s an illegal immigrant just because of his ethnicity, even tho he had proof stating otherwise, is just a mistake. Totally wasn’t racist at all. Also, the sky is green and grass is blue. 

That user is a right wing troll. Remember my thread where they declared that they don’t care about immigrant children dying of deadly diseases? No morals, empathy or any intellect to speak of.

It’s best to just ignore them.

• Like 5