Sam Smith for Out Magazine

Kimmo

Featured Posts

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sanne Godijn
18 minutes ago, Little Fighter said:

How am I anything like Hitler? I was not referring to people who forgot, but rather the people who have said in other threads that they refuse to use Sam's pronouns. How is defending a nonbinary person anything like Hitler? I'm Jewish btw so this is weird. 

Maybe next time try to be a bit more specefic to who you are referring to 

Little Fighter
1 hour ago, Sanne Godijn said:

Maybe next time try to be a bit more specefic to who you are referring to 

I was specific. I said "Several people in other threads said they straight up refuse to use Sam's pronouns " It is very clear I was specifically talking about people who are purposefully misgendering them. 

<3 Little Fighter = Gaga & Xtina stan <3

Sanne Godijn
1 hour ago, Little Fighter said:

I was specific. I said "Several people in other threads said they straight up refuse to use Sam's pronouns " It is very clear I was specifically talking about people who are purposefully misgendering them. 

I geus some people including me need to get used to calling a single person they since they usually refers to a group and also Sam will probably never read this nor is they here right now so i can kind of understand why people dont feel the need to use the they pronouns sinse we are not directly talking to Sam

magicalgaga
13 hours ago, Little Fighter said:

That makes sense, but singular they/them pronouns date back 100s of years and is a regular part of English language. I know that might not always be taught if English isn't your first language, but people who do speak English as a first language know this already. People use singular they pronouns all the time without realizing it because it's so ingrained in our language. Some people on here are making a chose to be ignorant on this subject. Several people in other threads said they straight up refuse to use Sam's pronouns. It's frustrating because I'm trans and understand the importance of pronouns and it's really sad and annoying to see people chose to be ignorant. 

Omg. The op has a nickname that is literally a Finnish name for a man (I know this because I’m Finnish myself). The op doesn’t necessarily understand English that well and thus it is okay for them to make mistakes like that. What you said about people choosing to be ignorant is of course true and very sad, but I was talking about people who don’t have English as their first language — like op (most likely) and me for example.

i was born this way, baby

gagaschickens
21 hours ago, magicalgaga said:

Can we please acknowledge the fact that not everyone has English as their first language and thus it is possible for them to not understand the concept of they/them pronouns? Understanding that people come from different backgrounds to a public forum that is open to literally everyone in the world would be nice.

i am really really really fluent, and sometimes i just forget, honestly. im aware though about their pronouns

リのひ ᄃム刀'イ 尺乇ムり イんノ丂, ᄃム刀 リのひ?

Little Fighter
3 hours ago, Sanne Godijn said:

I geus some people including me need to get used to calling a single person they since they usually refers to a group and also Sam will probably never read this nor is they here right now so i can kind of understand why people dont feel the need to use the they pronouns sinse we are not directly talking to Sam

Singular they has existed in the English language since at least the 14th century. It doesn't matter if Sam will read this or not. It's a sign of respect for the gender binary. Would you purposefully call a trans women or trans man the wrong pronouns just because they weren't around? If so that's very transphobic. There are nonbinary people on this forum who have expressed their hurt and anger of the lack of respect towards they/them pronouns. 

3 hours ago, magicalgaga said:

Omg. The op has a nickname that is literally a Finnish name for a man (I know this because I’m Finnish myself). The op doesn’t necessarily understand English that well and thus it is okay for them to make mistakes like that. What you said about people choosing to be ignorant is of course true and very sad, but I was talking about people who don’t have English as their first language — like op (most likely) and me for example.

It's okay if they made a mistake, but pronouns were discussed in the article the op linked to and quotes part of. I'm not going to fault people whose first language isn't English and I don't know why you felt the need to bring that up when I was originally talking specifically about people who are choosing to be ignorant. Choosing ignorance and not being taught singular they pronouns aren't the same things. People can mess up but they still need to try to learn more. Language is an ever changing thing and it's okay to not understand of all the nuances of it, but people have to learn as they go. If someone didn't know about singular they that's okay, but learn more about it, read up on it, don't just sit there and ignore the seriousness of misgendering someone (I'm not talking about you, but people in general) 

<3 Little Fighter = Gaga & Xtina stan <3

Sanne Godijn
10 minutes ago, Little Fighter said:

Singular they has existed in the English language since at least the 14th century. It doesn't matter if Sam will read this or not. It's a sign of respect for the gender binary. Would you purposefully call a trans women or trans man the wrong pronouns just because they weren't around? If so that's very transphobic. There are nonbinary people on this forum who have expressed their hurt and anger of the lack of respect towards they/them pronouns. 

It's okay if they made a mistake, but pronouns were discussed in the article the op linked to and quotes part of. I'm not going to fault people whose first language isn't English and I don't know why you felt the need to bring that up when I was originally talking specifically about people who are choosing to be ignorant. Choosing ignorance and not being taught singular they pronouns aren't the same things. People can mess up but they still need to try to learn more. Language is an ever changing thing and it's okay to not understand of all the nuances of it, but people have to learn as they go. If someone didn't know about singular they that's okay, but learn more about it, read up on it, don't just sit there and ignore the seriousness of misgendering someone (I'm not talking about you, but people in general) 

I was never taught that they could also be singular so i just need to get used to all the (for me ) new pronounses oke thank you also english is not my first language my first language is dutch

Archived