Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Trump Threatens To Pull Federal Aid For California Wildfires

Featured Posts

Marilyn MonHoe

President Donald Trump offered a vague threat to pull California's federal aid for combating dangerous wildfires on Sunday, sparking a response from Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom as the pair traded barbs through the day.

"The Governor of California, @GavinNewsom, has done a terrible job of forest management," Trump tweeted early Sunday. "I told him from the first day we met that he must 'clean' his forest floors regardless of what his bosses, the environmentalists, DEMAND of him. Must also do burns and cut fire stoppers. Every year, as the fire’s rage & California burns, it is the same thing-and then he comes to the Federal Government for $$$ help. No more. Get your act together Governor. You don’t see close to the level of burn in other states."

It's unclear what fires Trump was referred to as the blazes that have ravaged California in recent weeks did not burn down any forests.

Newsom on Sunday fired back, pointing to Trump's years-long denial of climate change and its environmental effects.

"You don’t believe in climate change," Newsom tweeted. "You are excused from this conversation."

Trump revisited the subject later Sunday afternoon, speaking to reporters on the White House South Lawn. Sunday was the first time Trump made significant mention of the California wildfires since the large-scale Kincade Fire broke out late last month.

Trump has repeatedly taken aim at California since taking office nearly three years ago, often over environmental issues. He has previously criticized the state for not properly "raking" the forest floors to help prevent fires and threatened to cut off Federal Emergency Management aid. Experts have pointed to climate change-related reasons for the uptick in wildfire frequency and strength in recent years.

Newsom last month praised the federal government's efforts in assisting with wildfire management.

"I have nothing but good things to say about the federal government’s support," Newsom said, per the Los Angeles Times. "In fact, the Homeland Security acting director proactively called me two days ago to check in ... Hats off to them."

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-threatens-pull-federal-aid-california-wildfires-n1075866

• Sad 2

Marilyn MonHoe

Only the Pro Life president would threaten to pull aid for wildfires that have killed at least three people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

luckyanderson

Some more general information on what causes the fires, how they are managed, if they are preventable and what all other proposed courses of action could be taken to address such would be greatly appreciated from any informed individuals (a Kansan speaking here).

MrG1087

Oh look threatening to pull aid. What else is new with this man? Seems to me that’s all he knows how to do; threaten until he gets his way.

• Like 3

Edonis

I wanna say something about him and fire, but I don't want to get a WP. :coffee:

• YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 1

Marilyn MonHoe
29 minutes ago, Edonis said:

I wanna say something about him and fire, but I don't want to get a WP. :coffee:

Don’t worry we can connect the dots

478-F1-CC0-2870-484-B-A6-B9-093-A0255913

• LMAO 2

Ziggy
1 hour ago, luckyanderson said:

Some more general information on what causes the fires, how they are managed, if they are preventable and what all other proposed courses of action could be taken to address such would be greatly appreciated from any informed individuals (a Kansan speaking here).

Well so it can happen a number of ways but wildfires are just part of Southern California given its biome. It should not have people living in it given its relative inhospitable climate. Since it does it is going to be a risk, and that’s just a fact.

Wildfires in this case aren’t caused by dirty forest floors, which is such a bizarre and asinine thing to say. It’s  a forest. Trump is suggesting they maintain all the leaves and sticks that fall (essentially) saying that they’re basically tinder for the fire. The fires would happen anyway (and also as he makes cuts to the already gutted national parks, that becomes very difficult to do even if it were the issue). Climate scientists have pointed this out and it will only get worse and more frequent as climate change ramps up. It’s perennially dry there, hot, and windy which is perfect for fires to start. Trump is bucking the blame to Newsom’s leadership because he can’t say anything else that would admit to climate change being a factor.

basically it’s another ridiculous and unfounded Trump accusation to fuel his spite for yet another person that hates him (in this case, the bulk of a state).

• Thanks 1

PartySick
1 hour ago, Edonis said:

Oh darn :huntyga: how tragic :huntyga: and I was soooo looking forward to that warning :huntyga:

OT: don't forget he offered aide to Putin for Russian wildfires but won't help California because no one there likes his stupid ass :nails:

#KeepAmericaGreatAgain 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
  • LMAO 2

Whispering

Of the 33 million acres of forest in California, federal agencies own and manage 19 million acres. That’s 58% of the forests of California.

This is messaging to his cult, so they can hate on California, instead of having any kind of sympathy or empathy for people losing their homes. 

• Thanks 1

mauvais

We should stop giving the federal government $500b+ dollars annually and see how they like it :fthis:

1 hour ago, luckyanderson said:

Dry conditions + Santa Ana winds (extreme winds) +  sparks from power lines. 

Over the past year it's become increasingly clear that a good number of CA fires are caused by electrical malfunctions/fallen branches and underground power lines would do us a world of good. I want to say we're getting better at responding to fire and thus managing fires here in LA because we haven't had a real bad one this year but I honestly don't know why some fires consume whole areas (the Woolsey fire was ****ing terrifying in that regard) and other fires are manageable. I also think that we're sadly very used to fires and now we're like 'welp the whole town is evacuating? lets go!' 

Edited by mauvais
  • Sad 1

Ziggy
11 hours ago, PartySick said:

Oh darn :huntyga: how tragic :huntyga: and I was soooo looking forward to that warning :huntyga:

OT: don't forget he offered aide to Putin for Russian wildfires but won't help California because no one there likes his stupid ass :nails:

Even though a sizable portion LOVES him. Go northwest and his most ardent supporters anywhere are there. They want to secede. It’s kind of scary stuff if they weren’t also a bit neutered