Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

BTW was more experimental than ARTPOP

Gracious Gaga

Featured Posts

Gracious Gaga

***This is not a bash ARTPOP thread.

6 years ago, Lady Gaga released her 4th studio album, ARTPOP- often dubbed  as her most experimental and artistic era.  However, in my opinion, Born This Way was overall a more artistic and experimental album.  In every aspect, it was lyrically, sonically, instrumentally and thematically more experimental than ARTPOP.  

Born This Way was more daring and cutting edge.  It pushed more boundaries.  The album gave birth to the iconic self directed video Marry The Night.  It was political and brought up important themes about love, equality, religion, and self acceptance.  It gave birth to the iconic gay anthem born this way.  Songs like government hooker, heavy metal lover, and more have very experimental instrumentals.  Bloody Mary and Judas deliver artistic religiously themed lyrics.  we also received the iconic saxophone solo in the edge of glory.   It served edgy visuals with every photo shoot and music video.  The singles selection was the only thing not experimental about this album.  I also do not feel that the single selection for ARTPOP was very experimental either- however, we all know Gaga’s team and their choice in singles :huntyga:

what do you think is Gaga’s most artistic and experimental body of work and why?

♥ Kindness Police.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bonkers

i don't remember born this way 

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

DutchHooker

TFM, BTW and ARTPOP (and even The Fame if you look at it from another perspective) were all experimental.. it was really "Gaga", but she lost it with Joanne and now she's  not experimental anymore..

Anyway, LG6 gives me hope.

We need DarkGa with Bops so we can rule the industry again and learn the other popgirls how to snatch 'em wigs to ultimate baldness!!

I think every gaga album is as experimental as each other (expect joanne was kinda safe), she's always challenging herself with different sounds and genres.  I hope pop-rock is next :vegas:

Antichrist
3 minutes ago, DutchHooker said:

TFM, BTW and ARTPOP (and even The Fame if you look at it from another perspective) were all experimental.. it was really "Gaga", but she lost it with Joanne and now she's  not experimental anymore..

Anyway, LG6 gives me hope.

what in regards to that gives you hope? i really wanna know, 'cause i'm missing it big time :ohno:

I think Gaga is yet to release a real experimental album.

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

PhyllisDietrichson

I do think Joanne was expensive. Not in terms of music (it didn’t do anything revolutionary, etc.) but for HER. No one expected her to make a country/soft rock album.

Edonis

Like I said in that other thread last month, I don't believe the original conception of ARTPOP had anything to do with experimental sounds or the actual art-pop genre that so many associate with it. The album is mainly about sex and her struggles with fame and happiness to be quite honest. It's confessional and it's weird at times, but it's a beautiful record for what it is. 

Born this Way is very different sonically and lyrically but beautiful in different ways for its message and its distinct 80s sound. 

DutchHooker
1 minute ago, Antichrist said:

what in regards to that gives you hope? i really wanna know, 'cause i'm missing it big time :ohno:

Because of the confirmed/rumoured producers..

BoysNoize,
BloodPop,
Hana,
Sophie
(And a lot more)

Also the Haus Labs music and just the entire vibe she's giving with the black and the pink.

We need DarkGa with Bops so we can rule the industry again and learn the other popgirls how to snatch 'em wigs to ultimate baldness!!

SeasonOfTheWitch

Gaga has yet to come out with an experimental album. All her albums so far have been her taking a genre extreme (or multiple genre extremes- which could be experimental) and, well, making it digestible by pop music fans (aka, the opposite of experimental). So while she’s not a traditional pop artist, she’s never been sonically so far out of touch with the trends to be considered experimental... 

1 minute ago, Doot said:

Agreed, completely. 

I think all Gaga did so far was release music different that what was predominant at their times, that’s not experimental lol

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Just now, Red said:

I think all Gaga did so far was release music different that what was predominant at their times, that’s not experimental lol

I still think her music slaps harder than all her peers, but I think it would be beneficial if she released something eventually completely forgetting about needing to chart or sell or whatever. A real, experimental, visual album.

We shall see.

Archived