Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Bolivian president resigns amid fraud poll protests

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

Bolivian President Evo Morales has resigned amid turmoil following his disputed re-election last month.

On Sunday, international monitors called for the election result to be annulled, saying they had found "clear manipulations" of the 20 October poll.

Mr Morales agreed with the findings and announced his intention to call fresh elections - after overhauling the country's election body.

But politicians - and the army and police chiefs - had urged him to quit.

In a televised address, Mr Morales said: "I resign my post as president."

His Vice-President, Alvaro Garcia Linera, also resigned.

Protesters took to the streets to celebrate, chanting "yes we could" and setting off fire crackers.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50370013

• YAAAS 2
  • Shook 2
  • Sad 3

OG Gaga Stan

An absolute tragedy for the people of Bolivia and for workers all over the world.

Edited by OG Gaga Stan
  • Like 2

OG Gaga Stan

It’s likely that what’s happening in Bolivia is a right wing coup carried out by a military attempting to silence one of the most successful left wing leaders in human history.

• Like 3
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1

Snejana

this is BAD news like really really bad, an absolute tragedy for Bolivia and it's people, especially for the indigenous population now at the mercy of a violent right wing and w/o Evo's support one can only imagine how Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela will resist usa's sanctions

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Henri Bardot
9 minutes ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

An absolute tragedy for the people of Bolivia and for workers all over the world.

what? 

he has re-elected himself ILLEGALY, he modified the results, denied a referendum where his people wanted him to resign 3 years ago...

im pretty sure you think maduro is also a good president 

latin americans cant relate.

we want the fascist right and the populist left away. it doesnt work anywhere

boys don't cry
  • Like 3
  • LMAO 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Snejana
5 minutes ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

It’s likely that what’s happening in Bolivia is a right wing coup carried out by a military attempting to silence one of the most successful left wing leaders in human history.

the guy at the front of this coup and his militia invaded the Palacio and literally knelt down in front of a biblie, this is a far right military-christian coup 

• Thanks 1

Morphine Prince

If there was fraud then good riddance honestly. I don't like when presidential term-limits are removed, like he did.

Besides that, I know he has worked for indigenous people and environmentalism in Bolivia and has battled poverty his entire presidency.

I have family who are Bolivian and they are celebrating cause they seem him as becoming corrupt. They are right-leaning though, so I take their reactions with caution. 

Edited by Morphine Prince

Morphine Prince
4 minutes ago, Henri Bardot said:

we want the fascist right and the populist left away. it doesnt work anywhere

Nothing wrong with populist left. When they become authoritarian is the issue. 

• Like 1

Snejana

the USA government not minding their goddamn business and trying to f*ck sh*t up AGAIN here in Latin America, like they did in the 60's and 70's 

Edited by Snejana
  • Thanks 5

Henri Bardot
3 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

If there was fraud then good riddance honestly. I don't like when presidential term-limits are removed, like he did.

Besides that, I know he has worked for indigenous people and environmentalism in Bolivia and has battled poverty his entire presidency.

I have family who Bolivian and they are celebrating cause they seem him as becoming corrupt. They are right-leaning though, so I take their reactions with caution. 

I think right/ left are celebrating. 

Evo was a corrupt president. 

boys don't cry
  • Sad 1

Snejana
5 minutes ago, Henri Bardot said:

we want the fascist right and the populist left away

speak for yourself lmfao if you have an army/bootlicking fetish that's your problem 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OG Gaga Stan
5 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

I have family who Bolivian and they are celebrating cause they seem him as becoming corrupt. They are right-leaning though, so I take their reactions with caution. 

Really bizarre to see this take coming from you.

There was never any concrete evidence that there was fraud in the October election. The press just kept repeating the allegations until they became “true” and Trump’s government actively assisted in pushing that narrative:

https://www.thenation.com/article/bolivia-election-oas/

• Like 2