8 minutes ago, ArtGagaPop said:

This is the first full week 

And its #110? :air:

so last week it didnt debut then?

liquidsunshine
1 hour ago, Gagaplayer315 said:

It's her punishment for releasing Small Talk

scared season 1 GIF by The White Princess

Honestly this. Small talk was so mediocre; sonically, thematically it was pretty interesting, that people are losing their trust/Interest in her especially you try to make a comeback. I believe the same thing happened when Gaga released PI. The public especially the radio was so hyped for her comeback. 

LilyLark

It's sad. The truth is bubblegum or dance pop girls often have a pretty short shelf life unless they branch out or are seen as kind of a niche artist (like Robyn). It doesn't help that the industry (primarily radio) is insanely ageist, too, and streaming tends to favor artists with younger fan bases (the ones who will do streaming parties, etc.).

Her audience didn't really grow with her, imo, and the under 20 audience is more into Ariana, Dua, etc. It's unfair, but she was marketed primarily as a non-threatening, safe, Betty Boop meets Betty Page meets Girl Next Door type, and when she hit 30, cut her hair, and started being political (which I believe is a good thing) that original fan base partially ditched her. And some people who were used to her old persona still find  her "immature."

The roll out and promotions have been weird, too. Some of her tracks weren't released at midnight, and while they were hyped she didn't really do any live performances, etc. Which would be understandable if she wanted to be more private, except she's already on the Voice so she's "out there" in the public eye anyway.

And the harsh truth is (and I like Katy) is that her vocals just aren't there like Gaga, Bey, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Janelle Christina, etc.(all in her age range who have been around for a while) and it comes off like she's chasing other sounds instead of naturally changing it up. All of the songs are great, but NRO was the only one that really came off like "Katy"—HIH almost comes off like a discarded Ariana track.

I feel like a better promotional strategy and maybe songs more in like with "The One Who Got Away" or even her early pop rock vibe might help...

LilyLark
2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

she didn't promote at a time where she REALLY NEEDS to promote, so yeah :lolga:

It's a weird juxtaposition of her being on TV for The Voice, but not doing anything for her songs....like I get if she just wanted to stay away from the lime light a la Lorde but she's already in the public eye quite a bit?

HoneyB

I feel like we really don’t know who Katy is as person:huh:

I feel like the gp just knows her as a pop star she never really showed us who she really is. Well, she tried to with the Witness 24 hour livestream but people just made that into memes:emma:

HiH should’ve been the first single imo. The video should’ve also been better too, it’s kinda lack luster/forgettable. The fact that small talk out peaked this song is unbelievable that should be illegal:air:

💋 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡 𝕐𝕒 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕌𝕡💋🍪

RAMROD

What else is new?

Plus, she releases summer vibe song in October? Are you kidding me? :lmao:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

gypsy101
2 hours ago, Ally Campana said:

That’s actually Whitney Houston with 7. But yeah, Katy had 5 #1s in a row.

she should have had 9 in a row tbh

One That Got Away and Wide Awake both deserved #1

3 hours ago, Char said:

hip hop rap GIF by #1 For Hip Hop, HOT 97

This is literally me. I wanna LOL cause the Katycats were merciless during ARTPOP but then I remember that karma may bite us in the ass again. 

Runway
3 hours ago, Vroom Vroom said:

At least Never Really Over went #15. 
Remember the Joanne era before the super bowl? Let’s not be too mean to Katy.  

A #1 debut on billboard 200 with over 200k units and two top 40 singles? Yes we remember 

OT: Katy is a thing of the 2010’s and will not make it through the next decade sadly :( 

Glamourpuss

My theory is she's flopping on purpose. It's an excuse to go away for a bit, get married and have babies. Then in a few years when people are actually thirsty for new KP music, she'll come back with a full album concept and some hit songs. 

I think when she said she was going to take a break that she meant it. It just hasn't started yet. 

Archived