đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

Miss Anthropocene - Grimes (leak)

FrozenKookie

Featured Posts

bowie1986

This record slaps. The lyrics aren't quite as good as on Art Angels, but I think the darker sonic palette suits her really well. Some of these tracks are stadium sized, cinematic masterpieces. 

1. So Heavy I Fell Through the Earth -- The opening of this track is epic. The way the bass pans and the drums clip is absolutely epic. Definitely a song that you can live in 50% of the time, and the other 50% I wish it wasn't 6 minutes long. (8.5/10)

2. Darkseid (feat. Pan Wei-Ju) -- Matches the dark, cinematic soundscape of So Heavy. The production on Pan's verses is sick. Desert warfare vibes,  nighttime. (8.5/10)

3. Delete Forever -- This track is a huge standout on the record. Sad, country/folk song that works really well with her voice. Guitar is super tin-y, also kind of made me think of wagon wheel? Not in a cringe way. Could just be emblematic of how it sounds timeless. (10/10)

4. Violence -- This song is so psycho, I love it. "Said I like it like that" w/ the girlish vocal. Insane. Also, the lyric "I am, like, begging for it, baby" is one of my favorite lyrics of the year. It sounds like something that must've been sang before but also feels completely new. The fact that it's the first lyric to a song called violence? Psycho. (8/10)

5. 4AM -- The chorus is so good. I love the aggressive tempo and drums. I feel like this track could draw a new listener into Grimes while also being representative of her style-- the emphasis on beat, the hybrid of styles, the vocals. (8/10)

6. New Gods -- The lyrics on this song are the best on the record. Her best ballad. Fits the concept pretty well without being cheap. (9/10)

7. My Name Is Dark -- This is a nu-metal banger ala We Appreciate Power but make it more Kill v. Maim. The guitar is sick, the chorus is absolutely out of this world with the demon screams (I don't love the final tracks mixing on the vocals always, preferred them more lo-fi in demos), and the end of the track is so perfect. To think we almost got this a week after WAP... (10/10)

8. Last Call-- I'm not entirely sure about these lyrics always, nor do I like the "kiss kiss, kiss kiss" background effect. I really like the axel-y guitars though and a couple verses sound really good. Not sure this track fits super well. (7/10)

9. Before the fever -- Stadium sized sad anthem. I'm so nervous to hear the final version because I heard a recent leak ****ed with how anthemic and explosive the chorus is. Per the first leak, this track is one of the best on the album. (9/10)

10. Idoru -- This song is too long, but there are some really high moments in the track. Maybe people will disagree with me-- I got super bored in Lana's Venice Bitch, I got super bored in FJM's "Leaving LA." I don't do songs that don't know when to end.  Weakest track in my opinion. (6/10)

11. We Appreciate Power -- REVIEWING THIS TOO BC IT BELONGS ON THE ALBUM andddd it's the only track that isn't a club mix / algorithm mix on the Deluxe. This is one of the best songs from this era. Such a cleanly produced nu metal song. Regardless of how you feel about the topic, the lyrics put forth a very clear ideology that has proven a fruitful topic (re: Zola Jesus / Grimes / Holly Herndon discussion) for artists to discuss. (9/10)

ALBUM RANKING - 8.5/10 

Matter of taste, but I prefer this album to Art Angels.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived