Stefani Tee
politics

Federal Elections - Switzerland

Featured Posts

MrBlue

Today the Swiss designate their political representatives (we do not have an election of a president). It's done every four years. In the last elections, the right had obtained a majority (PLR and UDC). This year, polls suggest that green parties would gain seats (and could become the 4th and 6th parties in Switzerland) while traditional parties (especially the right) would lose seats. Thus, the majority could move to the left  On the other hand, the right would still remain the leading party in Switzerland. The main political challenges during this campaign were global warming, old-age pensions (we have insurance about that), relations with Europe and immigration 

file77glrqyev9xwres2k7a.jpg.png?itok=Lt_

(That's a poll, it is not confirmed yet)

UDC: right, conservative/liberal/sovereignist

PS: left, social-democrat

PLR: centre right, liberal/radical

Verts: left, environmentalist

PDC:  centre - centre right, Christian Democrat

Vert'lib: center, ecologist/social-liberal

PBD: centre right, Liberal/Conservative

PEV: Christian/ecologist

EDIT: Be free to ask questions or to react to these numbers or anything else concerning the politics (in Switzerland)

Edited by MrBlue

Rolu

Really looking forward to the losses of SVP/UDC :ladyhaha:

I feel like the people can finally see through the fear mongering tactics and that arguments and actual solutions are once again more important than empty promises. 

I really believe that this upcoming legislature could finally achieve some meaningful progress on issues like climate change and our relations to EU. I also hope that we'll finally achieve Ehe für Alle (marriage equality). There has been some progress on that issue but it's been sooo slow :toofunny:

• Like 1

Varys

Oh wow y'all have many right wing/liberal parties :bradley:

Also aren't you one of the only countries left in western europe who haven't legalized gay marriage yet? 

Rolu
4 minutes ago, Varys said:

Also aren't you one of the only countries left in western europe who haven't legalized gay marriage yet? 

Unfortunately yes :laughga:

Parliament is working on it and it's looking quite promising, but progress has been rather slow. That's the thing with our political system: It's very stable but it also takes some time to change things

• Like 2

Ryusei

I have no idea which is which party like this lol i only know the german short forms not the french ones :oprah: but the SVP can choke. 
also there are more swiss members here? Hello!

Edited by Ryusei
  • Like 1

MrBlue
40 minutes ago, Varys said:

Oh wow y'all have many right wing/liberal parties :bradley:

We have a type of union but it's not a "real" mariage... :/ 

But we're not the only ones (there's Italy, Croatia, Andorra, Slovenia, Greece,...) 

1 hour ago, Rolu said:

Really looking forward to the losses of SVP/UDC :ladyhaha:

I feel like the people can finally see through the fear mongering tactics and that arguments and actual solutions are once again more important than empty promises. 

I really believe that this upcoming legislature could finally achieve some meaningful progress on issues like climate change and our relations to EU. I also hope that we'll finally achieve Ehe für Alle (marriage equality). There has been some progress on that issue but it's been sooo slow :toofunny:

Me too! Let's wear red & green clothes to party :derpga:

• Like 1

Sam98
1 hour ago, MrBlue said:

We have a type of union but it's not a "real" mariage... :/ 

But we're not the only ones (there's Italy, Croatia, Andorra, Slovenia, Greece,...) 

Yeah, we too have a civil union that's not on the same level of a marriage, in terms of rights

StopCallingMe
2 hours ago, Ryusei said:

I have no idea which is which party like this lol i only know the german short forms not the french ones :oprah: but the SVP can choke. 
also there are more swiss members here? Hello!

HiiExcited Episode 4 GIF by Friends

• Love 1

Economy

I know a fair bit bout the Swiss Economy but not politics

i know Switzerland has been ranked #1 most competitive economy in the world many times before (tho not last year) and is usually in the top 3 or 4 wealthiest Countries in the world by GDP Per Capita depending if its being measured nominally or in PPP

interested to see what happens politically :)

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1

MrBlue

So, as expected by the polls, the ecological parties won many seats and became the 4th party in Switzerland (almost the third). On the other hand, most traditional parties lost seats, particularly the right (PLR and SVP). The green wave was therefore confirmed in Switzerland. It's a much more left-hand shift from the national council.

UDC/SVP: 53 (-12)

PS: 39 (-4) 

PLR: 29 (-4)

Verts: 28 (+17)

PDC: 25 (-3)

PVL: 16 (+9)

PEV: 3 (+1)

PBD: 3 (-4)

POP: 1

SOL: 1

UDF: 1

LEGA: 1 (-1)

MCG: 0 (-1)

For the Council of States, the final results for some cantons will be known next month because there will be a new vote. Indeed, some candidates were not able to emerge sufficiently to be considered elected. The ecological parties also seem to be on the right track for this chamber.

Economy
1 minute ago, MrBlue said:

So, as expected by the polls, the ecological parties won many seats and became the 4th party in Switzerland (almost the third). On the other hand, most traditional parties lost seats, particularly the right (PLR and SVP). The green wave was therefore confirmed in Switzerland. It's a much more left-hand shift from the national council.

UDC/SVP: 53 (-12)

PS: 39 (-4) 

PLR: 29 (-4)

Verts: 28 (+17)

PDC: 25 (-3)

PVL: 16 (+9)

PEV: 3 (+1)

PBD: 3 (-4)

POP: 1

SOL: 1

UDF: 1

LEGA: 1 (-1)

MCG: 0 (-1)

For the Council of States, the final results for some cantons will be known next month because there will be a new vote. Indeed, some candidates were not able to emerge sufficiently to be considered elected. The ecological parties also seem to be on the right track for this chamber.

13 parties :air:

In Canada we only have 6 and only 3 of them are relevant :selena:

although the green party is slowly becoming a 4th relevant party

MrBlue
8 minutes ago, Economy said:

13 parties :air:

In Canada we only have 6 and only 3 of them are relevant :selena:

although the green party is slowly becoming a 4th relevant party

Oooh we have many more hahaha :derpga: but I only wrote about those who won seats or lost them. These other parties are less well known (Artists' Party or pirate party for example or others specific to certain regions).

EDIT: The 4 traditional parties are (UDC, PLR, PS & PDC)

I've never looked at Canadian politics (except for its president)... I'll try to get informed on that topic ;) 

Edited by MrBlue

Economy
1 hour ago, MrBlue said:

Oooh we have many more hahaha :derpga: but I only wrote about those who won seats or lost them. These other parties are less well known (Artists' Party or pirate party for example or others specific to certain regions).

EDIT: The 4 traditional parties are (UDC, PLR, PS & PDC)

I've never looked at Canadian politics (except for its president)... I'll try to get informed on that topic ;) 

We dont have a President :selena:

Cavadour
12 hours ago, Rolu said:

It's very stable but it also takes some time to change things

13 hours ago, Rolu said:

There has been some progress on that issue but it's been sooo slow

Way to summarize [our politics in] Switzerland ! Maybe yes, maybe not or... quite the opposite.

Late to the party but I got a diamond heart
  • Like 1

Rolu

Well now that the whole thing is over, I'm very happy how it turned out. I live for the gains of the green parties. Can't wait to see where this will go...  :firega:

Also, SVP/UDC and SP/PS have both lost a lot which is amazing and really deserved after the stuff they've been doing the past few months and years. They really had it coming :reductive:

Edited by Rolu