Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

Cartel turned Culiacán into “war zone”

Featured Posts

LateToCult

92-C42-E1-C-71-D8-4-F65-9-CA6-8274-EFF4-

(For those of you who don’t want to read the bit of the article posted)

El Chapo’s son was captured by Mexican authorities, this prompted the cartel to kidnap military personnel and wreak havoc on the city. El Chapo’s son was released after the military was basically outgunned.

There are lots of horrible videos on social media of citizens running for their lives and dead bodies. This is a warning for anyone who might want to look it up and not want to see that kind of content.

Spoiler

An operation to capture one of Mexico’s most powerful drug lords failed disastrously Thursday as several Mexican security forces were held hostage by heavily armed cartel fighters who laid siege to the northern Mexican city of Culiacan.

Authorities had sought to detain Ovidio Guzman Lopez, a leader of the powerful Sinaloa cartel and the son of notorious drug boss Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman. But after briefly capturing their target, security forces ultimately retreated without him, a move Mexico’s leaders defended as necessary to save lives. 

Officials said at least eight people died in a series of gun battles across the city, including one civilian, one member of the National Guard and five cartel attackers.

The cartel’s victory in subduing authorities was a stunning humiliation for the Mexican government, which has struggled to quell growing violence across the country.

On Friday, security officials gave more details about exactly how Mexican authorities were so overpowered.s

Secretary of Defense Cresencio Sandoval saidat a news conference in Culiacan that members of the army and the newly formed national guard were seeking to execute an extradition arrest warrant for Guzman that was issued by a federal judge in the United States.

The security forces decided to try to capture Guzman without authorization from their supervisors, he said.

When authorities arrived at the home where Guzman was staying in an upscale Culiacan neighborhood at around 3 p.m., they were fired upon, Mexican Security Minister Alfonso Durazo said at the same news conference..

Authorities returned fire, took control of the house and found four occupants inside, including 28-year-old Guzman, he said. 

But soon Guzman’s defenders arrived and “surrounded the house with a greater force,” Durazo said. It was then, apparently, that cartel gunman took several soldiers or National Guard members hostage. 

Meanwhile, other cartel gunman blocked entrances to Culiacan with burning vehicles and attacked other strategic points around Culiacan, causing civilians to run for cover.

“With the goal of safeguarding the well-being and tranquility of Culiacan society, officials in the security Cabinet decided to suspend the actions,” Durazo said.

full story:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2019-10-17/chaos-in-mexico-as-el-chapos-son-a-leader-of-the-sinaloa-cartel-is-reportedly-captured

Edited by LateToCult
  • Sad 2

Diamond Heart

Holy **** 

That is ****ing scary tbh, that poor civilian killed in the chaos is heartbreaking. 

But baby, I just need one good one Tuesday

Indeciso

It was gruesome. I'm several hours away from that state, but the shock it's real.

I haven't seen the videos, but my sister told me that the whole city was in chaos, and Smoke was coming out of the streets.

Edited by Indeciso
  • Like 1

jacs vs looser
35 minutes ago, box said:

trump wall GIF

Reveal hidden contents

jk :awesome:

I know you're joking, but for those who may actually think this way, I would like to say that the vast majority of the guns used by mexican cartels to kill cops/military/civilians come illegally from the USA. The Irony, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haruki Murakami
55 minutes ago, box said:

trump wall GIF

Hide contents

jk :awesome:

fire kids GIF

Edited by Haruki Murakami
  • Thanks 1