Stefani Tee
opinion

Retrospective on Confessions On A Dancefloor

Featured Posts

Glamourpuss

This album is amazing. I go through phases where I don't listen to it for a long time and then when I do it slays me just as much as the first time I ever heard it. I Iove all the different sounds on it. Forbidden Love is my favourite. :wub:

Serial liker

TheSlash

I was never really into Madonna's music, but listened to Confessions just recently bc I wanted to know why it was praised as one of her best albums. And I have to say, even tho my opinion about her didn't change, I enjoyed this album a lot :tony: . Especially Hung Up, Sorry, Future Lovers and Isaac are just :giveup: .

• Like 2

Prismatic Monster

The first time I listened to this album I literally cried :selena: it was so perfect and I felt like I found the perfect kind of techno-disco music I was searching for for a long time, I bought the psychial copy after a few weeks and I felt realized somehow! :kara: I think this will could be my favorite album ever tbh, I can't describe how much I love it and how nostalgic makes me feel! 

PS: still shocked literally nobody cares about Forbidden Love, that track is so slept on imo 

Stream Harleys in Hawaii while you're waiting for LG6 release in 2024~
  • Love 1

corvus albus
7 minutes ago, Prismatic Monster said:

The first time I listened to this album I literally cried :selena: it was so perfect and I felt like I found the perfect kind of techno-disco music I was searching for for a long time, I bought the psychial copy after a few weeks and I felt realized somehow! :kara: I think this will could be my favorite album ever tbh, I can't describe how much I love it and how nostalgic makes me feel! 

PS: still shocked literally nobody cares about Forbidden Love, that track is so slept on imo 

It's good but I mostly ignored it here because it doesn't fit into the albums overall theme :huntyga:

Am I standing still?

FfFfFfFF

Of course you couldn't resist throwing some American Life shade there. :fail:

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►

corvus albus
11 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Of course you couldn't resist throwing some American Life shade there. :fail:

Because that's what provoked the album :awkney: I can't omit the fact that American Life and Confessions make the same point but only one actually made it:poot:

Am I standing still?

FfFfFfFF
4 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

Because that's what provoked the album :awkney: I can't omit the fact that American Life and Confessions make the same point but only one actually made it:poot:

You can because this is not true. American Life is retrospective on Madonna's life and career after 9/11. With Confession she wanted a dance record. Two pollar opposites.

They did not have the same goal and both are great eras and albums on their own. The link between them is like the link between two albums of the same singer released in the same decade.

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1

corvus albus
Just now, FfFfFfFF said:

You can because this is not true. American Life is retrospective on Madonna's life and career after 9/11. With Confession she wanted a dance record. Two pollar opossites.

They did not have the same goal and both are great eras and albums on their own. The link between them is like the link between two album of the same singer released in the same decade.

No

Am I standing still?

FfFfFfFF
Just now, corvus albus said:

No

:ladyhaha:

corvus albus
4 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

:ladyhaha:

I made the connections between their themes which is the important thing. Also the fact that Madonna clearly asks the same questions as on American Life but with more cynicism and contempt for the general listener. Like another user pointed out, she is screaming in your face how dumb and easely manipulated you are and how dumb she was to think she could get through to you on American Life. I think that theory is sufficient enough. 

Am I standing still?

FfFfFfFF
5 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

I made the connections between their themes which is the important thing. Also the fact that Madonna clearly asks the same questions as on American Life but with more cynicism and contempt for the general listener. Like another user pointed out, she is screaming in your face how dumb and easely manipulated you are and how dumb she was to think she could get through to you on American Life. I think that theory is sufficient enough. 

Again, they are as similar as they are different. What theme are you talking about being the same on Anerican Life and Confessions? "Cleverly written pop"? 

The albums are light and day, one is dark and sad while the other is bright and dance-y. They are similar in the sense that they are written and crafted by the same artist with the same mindsets and ideas. Just like how Ray Of Light is similar to Music or Music to AL.

Also a theory is a hypothesis and by default never sufficient enough to prove something. 

corvus albus
6 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Again, they are as similar as they are different. What theme are you talking about being the same on Anerican Life and Confessions? "Cleverly written pop"? 

The albums are light and day, one is dark and sad while the other is bright and dance-y. They are similar in the sense that they are written and crafted by the same artist with the same mindsets and ideas. Just like how Ray Of Light is similar to Music or Music to AL.

Also a theory is a hypothesis and by default never sufficient enough to prove something. 

Ray Of Light is more on the side of Madonnas spiritual emptiness, Music deals with Music as part of society (kinda, the albums execution is pretty botched) and American Life is about the inherent shallowness of the world and how fame changed Madonna. Confessions is about the same as AL but with more bitterness and unlike in AL where Madonna still has some positivity left there's none on Confessions to be found. This darkly contrasts with the glittering, happy and overall dancy tone of the album. This is why I see Confessions as a logical progression from AL and that's also why I compared the two. The other albums you mentioned don't have nearly as much in common as AL has with Confessions. 

Am I standing still?

FfFfFfFF
5 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

Ray Of Light is more on the side of Madonnas spiritual emptiness, Music deals with Music as part of society (kinda, the albums execution is pretty botched) and American Life is about the inherent shallowness of the world and how fame changed Madonna. Confessions is about the same as AL but with more bitterness and unlike in AL where Madonna still has some positivity left there's none on Confessions to be found. This darkly contrasts with the glittering, happy and overall dancy tone of the album. This is why I see Confessions as a logical progression from AL and that's also why I compared the two. The other albums you mentioned don't have nearly as much in common as AL has with Confessions. 

Every one of her albums are similar and different to each other in different ways because they are written and crafted by the same person. With the same beliefs, experiences and mindsets.

Ray of Light is deeply linked to American Life because it's the extension of Kabbala and this is a detail you seem to be missing. The realisation that money and fame are meaningless lead her to the critique of society. Music is a futuristic progression from Ray Of Light and a bridge between it and AL and Confessions is the dance aftermath of the sadness from AL.

I really can't see how Confession sadder than American Life though? They are both a critique of society with anecdotes here and there but other than that couldn't be more different.

You are just giving interpretations on your own for the songs and I don't think it's fair to review a piece of music this way.

KURUSHITOVSKA
3 hours ago, corvus albus said:

Get Together is deeply forgettable

I stopped reading. It's the best on the album lmao