Jump to content
Stefani Tee
question

Are you a Greta Thunberg fan? (POLL)

Do you agree with the Climate Change Activist?  

303 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you?

    • Yass...Queen
      191
    • No... thanks!
      42
    • She’s a poser
      26
    • I don’t care!
      44


Featured Posts

MJHolland
6 hours ago, Lemondeduerl said:

She's the Katniss Everdeen of the eviroment. I think they are using her for catastrophist propaganda. We been knew the earth is ****ed up but I don't think it's that ****ed up. 

Climate science does not come down to what you believe, sis. Climate scientists are going to therapy in droves because the world is not heeding their urgent warning and they now we're in imminent danger. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JusKeepBreathin
7 hours ago, Antichrist said:

shame on OP for having an opinion that's different from yours?

 

a2921cb5ae9ab07a885ea857fdb04cad.jpg

Shame in the OP for posting a fake picture. Not for his opinion. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
xoxo Craig
7 minutes ago, mister max said:

If we keep our current livestyles and dont change a thing, it may become our future. Everything that we put in the athmosphere right now, will be there for a VERY long time, I'm sure you have already seen enough images/graphs/whatever about the emmision of green house gases and what not, the increase in storm intensity, the loss of biodiversity etc.. The message that these "kids" are trying to get across is that we need to act now so that we can still have a habitable planet when we get older and when our kids get older.

Currently, the planet will still be habitable for the next 100 years... which is 2.5 generations

The thing is, you can't stop climate change completely. It always has been happening but with industrial farming of vegetation like soy and other things, as well as consumption of oils & gasses, it is just happening a lot quicker.

And actually with current progress (all of my life people have been trying to combat climate change) we can see positive things happening like the hole in the Ozone layer over Australia completely heal itself. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but the reality that "the world will be gone tomorrow" is completely wrong.  We still have 100-200 years before any of the chaos happens.

Greta keeps saying "you are robbing my future" which again isnt true. She could live a great life still in our current climate. She is robbing herself of opportunities by not staying in school and getting an education behind her.

  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemondeduerl
6 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

Climate science does not come down to what you believe, sis. Climate scientists are going to therapy in droves because the world is not heeding their urgent warning and they now we're in imminent danger. 

Who said I'm denying the climate change? I'm aware of it and I think she truly believes it what she's saying. But also I think they are using her to make a bigger the impact on people and shock them. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luc
32 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

Currently, the planet will still be habitable for the next 100 years... which is 2.5 generations

The thing is, you can't stop climate change completely. It always has been happening but with industrial farming of vegetation like soy and other things, as well as consumption of oils & gasses, it is just happening a lot quicker.

And actually with current progress (all of my life people have been trying to combat climate change) we can see positive things happening like the hole in the Ozone layer over Australia completely heal itself. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but the reality that "the world will be gone tomorrow" is completely wrong.  We still have 100-200 years before any of the chaos happens.

Greta keeps saying "you are robbing my future" which again isnt true. She could live a great life still in our current climate. She is robbing herself of opportunities by not staying in school and getting an education behind her.

Why shouldn't we care about future generations? The UN's goal is to contain sea level rise to 5-9 metres. That's a LOT of sea level rise. 

 

If we go above 2° degrees, positive feedback loops will automatically push us to 4-6 degrees. There is no in between. 2.5 degrees is impossible, because these feedback loops start at 2 degrees and cascade towards 6 degrees.

 

If we want to contain temperature change to 2 degrees, we have to start now. If emissions peak globally in  2025, our carbon 'budget' will be used up to such an extent that the whole world will have to go carbon neutral by 2035. That's humanly impossible. The only way to prevent these feedback loops from starting and cascading into eachother towards 4-6 degrees is by making emissions peak right here, right now. That leaves us enough space to get carbon emissions to negative by 2045, instead of 2035. That's possible for humans. It's going to take economic growth, money, political courage, individual and collective sacrifice and protest, but it's the only possible solution. 2.5 degrees celsius is not possible. 2.0 degrees is the maximum. If we go above 4 degrees, sea levels will rise a couple tens of metres because hundreds of metres of ice mountains in Antarctica will melt. That would put almost all cities in the world under water.

 

2.0 degrees is the absolute maximum. And for that to happen, change is necessary. Developed countries need to start getting yearly 5-10% CO2 emission reductions, and countries like China will have to follow suit within a few years. If we don't do this right now, we're looking at 10-15% yearly CO2 emission reductions from 2025 tot 2035. But we have to consider that inventions like artificial meat, cheap electric cars, high-storage batteries and such won't be finished and in complete, worldwide use by 2035. If we start now, we can aim for carbon neutrality in 2045 instead. The first steps - closing all coal plants, stopping forest fires and getting solar pannels on every roof are a lot easier than the final steps (towards 80% less meat consumption, carbon neutral flights and ships, carbon neutral steel production, carbon negative storage technologies).

Edited by Luc
  • Like 8

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glamourpuss
19 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

Currently, the planet will still be habitable for the next 100 years... which is 2.5 generations

The thing is, you can't stop climate change completely. It always has been happening but with industrial farming of vegetation like soy and other things, as well as consumption of oils & gasses, it is just happening a lot quicker.

And actually with current progress (all of my life people have been trying to combat climate change) we can see positive things happening like the hole in the Ozone layer over Australia completely heal itself. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but the reality that "the world will be gone tomorrow" is completely wrong.  We still have 100-200 years before any of the chaos happens.

Greta keeps saying "you are robbing my future" which again isnt true. She could live a great life still in our current climate. She is robbing herself of opportunities by not staying in school and getting an education behind her.

You're saying we still have 100-200 years. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things. We only have that long left and that's the problem. 

She's speaking on behalf of all children. When she says you're robbing my future she doesn't literally just mean her. 

When she says tomorrow it means the foreseeable future.

The time span is irrelevant. So what if her generation doesn't have to worry and can live comfortably right now? It's up to people who are alive now to do something. Those who were alive and died already should have been caring more for future generations when they had their time on the planet. She's proposing a new way of life that is less selfish and benefits humanity as a whole and also the planet and environment. People like you just want things to stay the same. But what happens when things stay the same? "Well we get 100-200 years and then it won't be my problem because I won't be ali-" 

Lady Gaga Reaction GIF by Jimmy Kimmel Live

Serial liker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
narcoswing
9 hours ago, Kimmo said:

she hasn’t made a transition to have a better Climate Change yet she’s trying to make others change their ways all this while getting paid and offered a comfortable living environment... ok gurl...:poot:

well have you?

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
xoxo Craig
8 minutes ago, Glamourpuss said:

You're saying we still have 100-200 years. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things. We only have that long left and that's the problem. 

She's speaking on behalf of all children. When she says you're robbing my future she doesn't literally just mean her. 

When she says tomorrow it means the foreseeable future.

The time span is irrelevant. So what if her generation doesn't have to worry and can live comfortably right now? It's up to people who are alive now to do something. Those who were alive and died already should have been caring more for future generations when they had their time on the planet. She's proposing a new way of life that is less selfish and benefits humanity as a whole and also the planet and environment. People like you just want things to stay the same. But what happens when things stay the same? "Well we get 100-200 years and then it won't be my problem because I won't be ali-" 

Lady Gaga Reaction GIF by Jimmy Kimmel Live

I'm not saying "its not our problem so lets not deal with it" but it certainly not as dramatic as people are making it out to be. 

"Its people like you"  lmao you don't know anything about me. I'm a huge advocate for recycling, using less plastic and trying to find greener modes of transport. But I have a huge problem with her demaning money for what she is trying to do, and some of the things that she says (like going vegan) is inaccurate. We are doing all we can, and yet "its not enough" 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glamourpuss
2 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

I'm not saying "its not our problem so lets not deal with it" but it certainly not as dramatic as people are making it out to be. 

"Its people like you"  lmao you don't know anything about me. I'm a huge advocate for recycling, using less plastic and trying to find greener modes of transport. But I have a huge problem with her demaning money for what she is trying to do, and some of the things that she says (like going vegan) is inaccurate. We are doing all we can, and yet "its not enough" 

I believe it needs to be dramatic in order to get the message across. 

I got personal and directed it at you because you come across as somebody bitter who wants to hate Greta because she's doing something good. 

I'm glad you're an advocate for recycling. But there are still people who don't recycle. There are still people who buy things packaged in plastic without a second thought for where it's going to end up. 

I believe this girl should be praised, not dragged. She's making people sit up and think who normally wouldn't bother to do that. You might be doing all you can as an individual but it's a fact that as a collective, we aren't doing enough. 

Serial liker

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seeka
4 hours ago, xoxo Craig said:

The way y'all are acting, extreme flooding will happen tomorrow as well as the earth being on fire and everyone will cease to exist...  it doesn't work like that kids :awkney:

Okay let me tell you something. 

I live in Tennessee. 

Half of September was 90. The later half. Actually, it's hotter in September than it was in June and July. It's been 90 degree weather for the first week of October. 

If I remember correctly it was snowing. In Colorado. In June. 

The effects of climate change are already happening. Yes, the world isn't going to end. And I doubt humans are going to be wiped out...

But billions, if not trillions of living things will suffer from now on. Not just humans. There will be things no longer on this Earth because the ice caps have melted. An entire environment type destroyed. 

Yes, the apocalypse isn't coming. We're not all going to die. 

But that isn't a reason to be lazy on this. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
27monster27

Well, after the opinions that I have seen in this thread, let me put it this way: I support the idea of caring for the one planet that we have, and guaranteeing the people in the future can live on a world that is healthy and safe to live in.

STAN: Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Britney Spears, and Froy Gutierrez.
  • Love 3

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
LordEnigma
2 hours ago, xoxo Craig said:

I'm not saying "its not our problem so lets not deal with it" but it certainly not as dramatic as people are making it out to be. 

"Its people like you"  lmao you don't know anything about me. I'm a huge advocate for recycling, using less plastic and trying to find greener modes of transport. But I have a huge problem with her demaning money for what she is trying to do, and some of the things that she says (like going vegan) is inaccurate. We are doing all we can, and yet "its not enough" 

I guess I’m not aware but when was she demanding for money?

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJHolland
3 hours ago, Lemondeduerl said:

Who said I'm denying the climate change? I'm aware of it and I think she truly believes it what she's saying. But also I think they are using her to make a bigger the impact on people and shock them. 

But the bigger the "impact"/influence the better. It's nearly impossible to overstate how dire our climate situation is. 

  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...