opinion

Will Gaga ever top Born This Way?

hankhatesyouall

Featured Posts

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God Control

Born This Way had a big cultural impact, yes especially on LGBT+ youth and the term "I was born this way" was being used as the de facto description for wanting to be who you are, remarkably after the album release. However, the album itself isn't particularly a masterpiece nor a symbol or artistic excellence. It was remarkable musically in its time, mainly when we were younger and it was fresh to us, but to play it these days, most tracks feel dated, simplistic or trying too hard to sound deep at times. This isn't to say that the album is bad, it's definitely not bad, but it isn't the peak of her artistic excellence, neither musically nor visually. That title belongs to The Fame Monster.

Now to answer the topic, she definitely can surpass it if she collaborates with the right composers and producers and focuses on something either entirely new, experimental and well-crafted or something catchy and more along the lines of The Fame Monster that doesn't emphasize too much on "I am me, I am different and I'm proud of this" but rather something that different audiences can relate to, without too much emphasis on the message nor trying to appeal to the rebel teenage audience.

Candy Gaga
On 9/29/2019 at 7:41 PM, Madame Goo Goo said:

So overrated its actually starting to get on my nerves

Ikr other than Bad Romance and Alejandro nothing is that groundbreaking about TFM :ally:

Candy Gaga
On 9/29/2019 at 7:52 PM, xoxo Craig said:

Heavy Metal Lover

Bad Kids

The Queen

Highway Unicorn

Fashion of his Love

And Hair are all fillers :trollga:

tiffany pollard GIF

Pop Music

she already did with her her best album (and the best album to ever be released) ARTPOP 

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

Babel

Born This Way IS her most ambitious project, just listen to the songs, all of them have a bit of risk and edginess that most songs in other albums don't have. 

She put church bells, she put mariachi, she put a sax solo, she put the word transgender... I mean. Whether you like it or not is all subjective, but she really pushed a lot of boundaries with Born This Way, more than with any other of her albums. 

FentyGa
On 9/29/2019 at 6:26 PM, Sour Jube said:

I think many don't agree with the notion that BTW was peak of "artistic excellence/star power/music quality."

Also why are we all so obsessed with defining when and where peak is and comparing levels of success. I wish we could spend more time to just enjoy it, connect to it.

I honestly don't care whatsoever if any future album or film surpasses financially any other album or film. I just want to experience it.

because this is GGD, not the Disney channel
giphy.gif

Lord Temptation

In Born This Way, Gaga gave the world 80s glam metal, 70s stadium country rock and 90s house at a time where everyone was expecting EDM. And created the template for all the self-empowerment songs that would follow in it’s wake. 

Nah, it probably won’t ever be topped. The album of the decade did THAT. 

Katherine
On 9/29/2019 at 2:46 PM, hankhatesyouall said:

Yep, she managed to sell 1 million* copies in one weeks with a ****ing motorcycle attached  to her head, and people still question whether its her most powerful  era. Not to mention the album's sound, suggestive/controversial lyrics, etc. 

Due to the impact TFM had :ohwell: let's face it, BTW is good, but not that good.

PoshLife
On 9/29/2019 at 1:46 PM, hankhatesyouall said:

Yep, she managed to sell 1 million* copies in one weeks with a ****ing motorcycle attached  to her head, and people still question whether its her most powerful  era. Not to mention the album's sound, suggestive/controversial lyrics, etc. 

Right but the immediate success of a new album is going to be largely reliant on the success of the era that came just before it. Gaga was riding WAY high coming off TFM and then BTW the song, which was #1 for 8 weeks or something.

And then, ya know, the fact that the album was only a dollar its first week...

Sour Jube
On 10/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, FentyGa said:

because this is GGD, not the Disney channel
giphy.gif

Point taken. I just love her music and artistry so friggin' much, sometimes it makes me sad to see many conversations skew towards horse race of album sales and press coverage (even though I know things like this can be important, too).

FentyGa
3 hours ago, Sour Jube said:

Point taken. I just love her music and artistry so friggin' much, sometimes it makes me sad to see many conversations skew towards horse race of album sales and press coverage (even though I know things like this can be important, too).

looking back, i was definitely harsh lol sorry

i just think we can enjoy gaga’s work while critiquing and analysing her artistry, too. it shouldn’t be the focal point of all discussions on here, as it is, but i definitely think it’s a reasonable conversation to have

Inferno
On 9/29/2019 at 11:15 AM, sampool said:

What cultural impact? 💀 Literally the ONLY reason that album was successful was thanks to TF/M, her hype during those eras were higher than ever and that helped BTW to do good. 

If she released BTW as her debut album she would be C-list artist at best, if she wasn’t dropped by her label. 

If anything BTW has negatively affected her career, we watched the GP slowly aborting her from pop royalty, by the time she released the last single (MTN) she was over, even with all that promo. Then ARTPOP had to pay the price that BTW caused, not only chart wise, but also her relationship with her team members, Troy left, laurieann left, Mark left, nicola left.

Even Gaga acknowledge that in this video she released on the same day she dropped applause. 

Born This Way had both positive and negative effects on her career. You're not looking at it from a very well rounded perspective, you're kind of just mouthing off on some biased hostile tangent.

To claim Born This Way had zero cultural impact is nonsense. And to say that's nonsense isn't to say it's the most important album of the decade either. But you clearly have no objectivity on the subject lol

Archived