2 minutes ago, Thomas P said:

Rude. Best show of all time (with bad writing in the last season) :bradley:

Breaking Bad said

parks and recreation donna GIF

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nodandsmile

I saw some people being mad about Sandra Oh but come on Jodie OWNED that season it was just like Resse WItherspoon and Nicole Kidman for the first season of BLL!

Thomas P
2 minutes ago, SimplyTheBest said:

Breaking Bad said

parks and recreation donna GIF

Breaking Bad...is a masterpiece. Yes it is.

Game of Thrones is still that show for me sorry bout it :saladga:

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Thomas P
Just now, SimplyTheBest said:

I saw some people being mad about Sandra Oh but come on Jodie OWNED that season it was just like Resse WItherspoon and Nicole Kidman for the first season of BLL!

Thank you. 

Imo Sandra was better season 1, but she had an equal performance season 2, not a better performance. Jodie did some kind of acting that made my jaw drop season 2, so (although I was pulling for Emilia for sentimental reasons) the best actress (and talent) Won. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

nodandsmile
8 minutes ago, Thomas P said:

Thank you. 

Imo Sandra was better season 1, but she had an equal performance season 2, not a better performance. Jodie did some kind of acting that made my jaw drop season 2, so (although I was pulling for Emilia for sentimental reasons) the best actress (and talent) Won. 

say it louder for the people in the back

clapping applaud GIF

people talking about "she's owed", they should stop with that ... same thing with Glenn Close at the Oscars, loved her ever since Grey's but come on!

Franch Toast
1 minute ago, Thomas P said:

Thank you. 

Agreed. I have been in awe of Sandra Oh's talents for a long time, but Jodie Comer truly shined in season 2. Villanelle is one of the most compelling characters I've seen on television in ages, maybe since Walter White, and Jodie's portrayal is extremely nuanced and outstanding, and she brings humor and even empathy to the role. Even though Villanelle is supposedly the "villain," she's so fascinating. Of course, Sandra and Jodie have incredible chemistry together, and ideally, they would both be recognized for their work instead of competing against one another. At least Sandra received the Golden Globe, SAG, and Critics' Choice awards last season, so it's not like her performance hasn't been celebrated, and hopefully both women will continue to be recognized for their work on the show in the future. 

She/Her/Hers

1a4bbf1c6ef1ea5cf3f4858ccf4df5b6

Imagine being a black, queer, artist who led a team of other queer men and women to victory, with a project that has given a platform to more queer people of color than any show in television history (before it was trendy to do so,) and you use your moment on the Emmy stage to encourage political action...and people still criticize you for not being woke enough. Lord, social media is a gross netherworld.

Congratulations to RuPaul, for pissing off both sides of the political spectrum while insuring drag remains a thorn in the side of people who are just too damn sensitive. 

14 minutes ago, SKANK said:

1a4bbf1c6ef1ea5cf3f4858ccf4df5b6

Imagine being a black, queer, artist who led a team of a other queer men and women to victory, with a project that has given a platform to more queer people of color than any show in television history (before it was trendy to do so,) and you use your moment on the Emmy stage to encourage political action...and people still criticize you for not being woke enough. Lord, social media is a gross netherworld.

Congratulations to RuPaul, for pissing off both sides of the political spectrum while insuring drag remains a thorn in the side of people who are just too damn sensitive. 

I agree with you to some extent but you can't deny the show's treatment to people of color is very sketchy and that sea of white on stage is a reflection of that. And the way he was looking around for someone to point out was very cringy lol

DeleteMyAccount
17 minutes ago, SKANK said:

both sides

I mean, there are people on the left who've been critical of RuPaul for a while now. And rightfully so. But I wouldn't compare criticisms from the left to the right. Because at the end of the day, the left's criticisms still benefit the advancement of equity and representation.

18 minutes ago, Bio said:

I agree with you to some extent but you can't deny the show's treatment to people of color is very sketchy and that sea of white on stage is a reflection of that. And the way he was looking around for someone to point out was very cringy lol

mgid:ao:image:logotv.com:681620?quality=

I think it's peculiar to look at a group of queer men, women, immigrants, and a black drag queen and think...you know what, there is a problematic lack of diversity here.

This year at the Creative Arts Emmys Ru's costume designer Zaldy, a queer person of color, won his second Emmy for Drag Race, and had it not been for the recent passing of producer Jacqueline Wilson, she would have been another person of color next to Ru on the Emmy stage, as she was the year before.

7 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

I mean, there are people on the left who've been critical of RuPaul for a while now. And rightfully so. But I wouldn't compare criticisms from the left to the right. Because at the end of the day, the left's criticisms still benefit the advancement of equity and representation.

Different motivations behind the criticism from the left and right is an important factor. Great point.

Though I will say criticism of Drag Race being a show that lacks racial diversity is willfully disingenuous, rather than a criticism rooted in a desire to advance equality. Perhaps people think holding RuPaul to a higher stander than his peers is appropriate, but I think it's more than a little odd to criticize RuPaul's Drag Race for presenting a "sea of whiteness" on stage tonight, when in reality that "sea of whiteness" is led by a queer person of color who has given a platform to more queer people of color than any other show in television history.

Disingenuous activism.

fleabag-getty-images-rm.jpg

Game-Of-Thrones-Cast-at-Emmys-2019.jpg

veep_cast_at_the_emmys_2019_-_getty_-_h_

DeleteMyAccount
9 minutes ago, SKANK said:

Different motivations behind the criticism from the left and right is an important factor. Great point.

Though I will say criticism of Drag Race being a show that lacks racial diversity is willfully disingenuous, rather than a criticism rooted in a desire to advance equality. Perhaps people think holding RuPaul to a higher stander than his peers is appropriate, but I think it's more than a little odd to criticize RuPaul's Drag Race for presenting a "sea of whiteness" on stage tonight, when in reality that "sea of whiteness" is led by a queer person of color who has given a platform to more queer people of color than any other show in television history.

Disingenuous activism.

I will say that I too was a bit :ohwell: when I saw all the other casts on stage with primarily all white people. "disingenuous activism" does show when you have people talking and cheering for diversity and yet not actually reflecting that in their own work. Looking at you Reese Witherspoon..... But again, I still don't hold that to the issues with people on the right. 

But my point about RuPaul isn't exactly about the representation on the show. It's more about the drama that surrounds the show and RuPaul himself.

12 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

I will say that I too was a bit :ohwell: when I saw all the other casts on stage with primarily all white people. "disingenuous activism" does show when you have people talking and cheering for diversity and yet not actually reflecting that in their own work. Looking at you Reese Witherspoon..... But again, I still don't hold that to the issues with people on the right. 

But my point about RuPaul isn't exactly about the representation on the show. It's more about the drama that surrounds the show and RuPaul himself.

So your issue is that Reese Witherspoon talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk, while RuPaul and Drag Race walk the walk, but don't talk the talk?

That's like a social justice riddle.

DeleteMyAccount
2 minutes ago, SKANK said:

So you're issue is that Reese Witherspoon talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk, while RuPaul and Drag Race walk the walk, but don't talk the talk?

That's like a social justice riddle.

Not at all actually. I never intended to compare Rupaul to Reese. I was replying to separate issues you brought up.

"social justice" trigger was a bit unnecessary. 

Your argument is also rather black and white and sort of intentionally neglects the real issue of why there are still pitfalls of RuPaul's stance in the community. Note that I never meant to make Drag Race guilty of anything but more so a victim of the racism that exists in the LGBTQ community. Additionally, just because someone has a positive platform doesn't mean they can't be in positions to be criticized to do better. I mentioned Reese to respond to YOUR argument about the whiteness on stage and showcasing how showrunners/activists can obviously do better. I was making an statement in SUPPORT of your response. That wasn't the point of my post. However, these arguments are still more productive than any right-sided argument. Again, making the equivalency of "both sides" a bit null. Thus alluding to my point. 

20 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

Not at all actually. I never intended to compare Rupaul to Reese. I was replying to separate issues you brought up.

"social justice" trigger was a bit unnecessary. 

Your argument is also rather black and white and sort of intentionally neglects the real issue of why there are still pitfalls of RuPaul's stance in the community. Note that I never meant to make Drag Race guilty of anything but more so a victim of the racism that exists in the LGBTQ community. Additionally, just because someone has a positive platform doesn't mean they can't be in positions to be criticized to do better. I mentioned Reese to respond to YOUR argument about the whiteness on stage and showcasing how showrunners/activists can obviously do better. I was making an statement in SUPPORT of your response. That wasn't the point of my post. However, these arguments are still more productive than any right-sided argument. Again, making the equivalency of "both sides" a bit null. Thus alluding to my point. 

There should be more diversity in television. Unlike most shows honored at the Emmys, Drag Race is a very diverse show. I'm happy to celebrate the win. That's all.

Archived