đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

I Love/Hate Azealia Banks

Lemondeduerl

Featured Posts

Lord Temptation
2 minutes ago, Inferno said:

In concept they were more daring than something as feel good as Good As Hell surely but sonically it was just young kids experimenting with their sound. Its not like there was some great level of musicality to it or even that "dangerous". Idk, if you just personally find the newer stuff too corny thats valid enough to me but to outright say she lost some sense of creative or personal integrity to me is just way too far and false.

She hasn’t lost her creativity, she’s just   letting it hibernate. I’ll be interested to see what she does next. Secretly I am hoping for a Tracy Chapman/Lauryn Hill ish magnum opus. A diss album full of love.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Inferno
10 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

She hasn’t lost her creativity, she’s just   letting it hibernate. I’ll be interested to see what she does next. Secretly I am hoping for a Tracy Chapman/Lauryn Hill ish magnum opus. A diss album full of love.

I don't think those references are in line with her musicality though. Imo. I think of her as more of a potential modern day chaka khan type artist. Just with a slightly wider genre of influence to pull from.

14 minutes ago, AndiGaga said:

Disclosure, the entire nations of Ireland & Sweden, the African diaspora and Wendy Williams.[91][92]"

I love how Wendy Williams is separate from everyone else/grouped with countries :air:

Lord Temptation
Just now, Inferno said:

I don't think those references are in line with her musicality though. Imo. I think of her as more of a potential modern day chaka khan type artist. Just with a slightly wider genre of influence.

Well, she surprised me with ha latest incarnation. As long as she keeps challenging haself, who knows what she is capable of. Someone as talented as ha cannot be pigeonholed. Comparing ha work with The Chalice to now, and it’s like she’s two different artists. That duality tells me we haven’t seen the last of the “old Lizzo”. She is clearly willing to embrace change. Right now it’s a little bubblegum but who know what ha future holds. She’s definitely an exciting artist, even if ha new stuff bores me.

Chromaticunt

Why are we still giving her attention like she's remotely famous? She's released one flop album and some EPs no one listens to.  

The sad thing is she could have been big if she wasn't such a bully with a bad attitude.  She squandered any chance of success with sh!t like this. She deserves to have no career. Go retire like Nicki and flip some burgers at Wendy's, binch. At least then you'll be useful to society. 

Inferno
3 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Well, she surprised me with ha latest incarnation. As long as she keeps challenging haself, who knows what she is capable of. Someone as talented as ha cannot be pigeonholed. Comparing ha work with The Chalice to now, and it’s like she’s two different artists. That duality tells me we haven’t seen the last of the “old Lizzo”. She is clearly willing to embrace change. Right now it’s a little bubblegum but who know what ha future holds. She’s definitely an exciting artist, even if ha new stuff bores me.

I can respect that pov :staymad:

BlackFluid
6 minutes ago, ThatBinch said:

Why are we still giving her attention like she's remotely famous? She's released one flop album and some EPs no one listens to.  

The sad thing is she could have been big if she wasn't such a bully with a bad attitude.  She squandered any chance of success with sh!t like this. She deserves to have no career. Go retire like Nicki and flip some burgers at Wendy's, binch. At least then you'll be useful to society. 

This...isn’t true. Her album & EP are some of the greatest bodies of music in the last decade.

Chromaticunt
3 minutes ago, BlackFluid said:

This...isn’t true. Her album & EP are some of the greatest bodies of music in the last decade.

I didn't say they weren't good, I said they flopped and she isn't relevant, and rightly so.

Inferno
12 minutes ago, BlackFluid said:

This isn't true. Are they good? Yes. But her alleged "genius" is so insanely overstated by people that try and defend her that its absurd at this point. Shes someone with a very eclectic range of influence and genres that she pulls from, which is why I started following her and loved her back in the day. I get it. I get that she has some bops. But whats not acknowledged by people such as yourself are the ways in which she keeps regurgitating the same sound she was in 2012. BWET was partially comprised of previously released music as well. Music we'd had for years. Gimme A Chance was enhanced but that was even a demo from like before 2011 even. Her regurgitating the same queer 90s house bop with same style flows isn't groundbreaking. Is it nice sounding? Yeah...but are her releases so great that they overshadow her controversy? Hell no. Theres a lot of....i hate this term but 'alternative' artists out there that release equally fun or eclectically influenced music. Azealia has something special but its not so special that it matters.

59 minutes ago, Davian said:

You really thought you did something with this comment huh:selena:

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c89738ebdac45fb5d8976d

EDIT: I think I understood you incorrectly sorry:huntyga: You were talking about Azealia never complementing someone, so this doesn’t come a surprise. I thought you agreed with her insulting her oops:selena:

Yeah you read incorrectly the first time, it’s ok :laughga:

BlackFluid
47 minutes ago, Inferno said:

This isn't true. Are they good? Yes. But her alleged "genius" is so insanely overstated by people that try and defend her that its absurd at this point. Shes someone with a very eclectic range of influence and genres that she pulls from, which is why I started following her and loved her back in the day. I get it. I get that she has some bops. But whats not acknowledged by people such as yourself are the ways in which she keeps regurgitating the same sound she was in 2012. BWET was partially comprised of previously released music as well. Music we'd had for years. Gimme A Chance was enhanced but that was even a demo from like before 2011 even. Her regurgitating the same queer 90s house bop with same style flows isn't groundbreaking. Is it nice sounding? Yeah...but are her releases so great that they overshadow her controversy? Hell no. Theres a lot of....i hate this term but 'alternative' artists out there that release equally fun or eclectically influenced music. Azealia has something special but its not so special that it matters.

Icy Colors Change & Escapades are my favorite songs by her. I don’t care about bops. She has the songwriting abilities of a Kate Bush or Joni Mitchell.

Chromaticunt

I liked her one and only album, even though I think it's highly over-rated in this fanbase.

She lost all respect from me when she gave an impassioned speech on a radio station about white privilege and the struggles of black people, only to then proudly admit she bleaches her damn skin.

Prismatic Light
3 hours ago, Borisapillar said:

Retire from what? She has no career.

And I Oop Whatcha Say GIF by swerkYou didn't lie tho :teehee:

Be kind 🧡

i hate when people still try to pull that narrative of "how she's ruined her own career" etc. it's a tired argument and it's spiteful. it really makes me resent the person speaking these words. with the personality she has she obviously has zero interest in making it that far in your bubbly pop culture world if it means denying so much of her identity. no, I do not think she's in the best place and yes i think she can be a total asshole sometimes. and some of her conspiracy theories are absurd. I find myself disagreeing with her one a regular basis. this does not mean, though, that all that's coming out of her mouth is bs. over the years she's brought some really valid yet ugly arguments into contemporary discussions that look beyond our sometimes narrow and black-and-white discourse. with her process - be it music, soap business, social politics or design endeavors - she's as eclectic as you can get. it makes her work hard and sometimes unpleasant to follow. what she still deserves, though, is respect. and even if it's just because she's a human being

Archived