question

Is Katy In A Worse Place Than Gaga Was?

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LGMonster95

A lot worse lol. Katy barely can even chart on hot 100 these days and she literally releases bomb after bomb. Gaga's lowest point was with G.U.Y but even that was really mismanaged. Gaga's ARTPOP era seems like Thriller beside what Katy goes through nowadays

Madling

I think it's widely accepted that Gaga is in a different league when it comes to talent. People might not have been able to see that in 2013 as up to then they could justifiably been compared based on pop music output, but now it's a no brainer. Even Katy has matured enough to see how special Gaga is, calling her magical and mystical. 

Katy can do a great pop song and is quite a good live singer compared to a lot of pop stars but it's her bubblegum image that she hasn't really been able to shed. I think she wants her sound to mature like Gaga's has but the GP isn't really open to it. I'm sure it's frustrating for her  because it's natural to want to go a bit deeper than Roar when you're 34. Thinking about it, I think ARTPOP "flopping" (🙄) helped Gaga in the long run.  And of course C2C did wonders for audiences to see her as a diverse artist. She threw so much at the wall that she gave people no choice but to notice her immense range and talent.  That's what hooked me in. I loved the early eras, she was a machine. But it was seeing her do C2C, the oscars, the Sting/Stevie Wonder/David Bowie tributes that really displayed her talent of a lifetime status. Then Joanne showed just how much was going on under the wigs and costumes. People on here love yo give Bobby **** for all the things that didn't happen, but the criticism just doesn't hold water when you see where her career is now. 

Katy will figure it out. She can cruise by on her hits forever if she wanted to. I don't know her musical capabilities that well or if she's even much of a songwriter, but she just needs yo find the happy medium between her old music and something a little more mature that's not going to come off as cringe. 

DeanWinchester

It's interesting to see how people define "worse" here, and whether or not disinterest (Katy) or active hate (ARTPOP Gaga) is worse. The answers get even more varied if you take into account their previous eras (bigger fall from overall sales or from charting), and what Katy and Gaga have to maneuver their career lows. :coffee:

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

theahsfan

Applause - #4

Do What U Want - #13

G.U.Y. - #76

-------------------------

365 - #86

Never Really Over - #15

Small Talk - #82

Harleys In Hawaii - Didn't chart

On 9/2/2019 at 4:01 AM, Borislshere said:

Looking at these stats and then thinking about where I am in my life :bradley:

Can I flop like either of these two? PLeasE? :bradley:

fine wine class comm.

hello hello baby.

On 9/2/2019 at 3:30 AM, RochestrMonstr said:

Did Witness even sell 1m WW? I think although Katy is in a better place as a celebrity than Gaga was during ARTPOP, her music career has less of a chance of rebounding. 

Gaga had to rely on her vocal talent and serve other kinds of music to obtain a repeak. 

Katy is more of a typical pop star, and those kinds of careers tend to have a shelf-life, especially once the singer reaches their late 30’s. 

Katy's definitely in a worse place. Witness did WAY worse than ARTPOP and even Joanne. She's had a few viral Youtube hits but that's it. I don't think Katy has the ability like Gaga to rebound with... talent, or vocals. If Katy's tried correcting her career how Gaga did with jazz and a stripped down era, I can't see anyone caring. Gaga also had the Superbowl and then a film. Could Katy act? I dunno. So I'm not totally sure where Katy's career is actually headed. During ARTPOP, Gaga kind of had the anti-popstar vibe going on and her head was cloudy, her body was hurting, her mental health was in pain. I love watching her SXSW interview - she talks a lot about the music industry and how she was perceiving it at the time and even spoke about the Katy Perry pit comparisons.

15 minutes ago, theahsfan said:

Applause - #4

Do What U Want - #13

G.U.Y. - #76

365 - #86

Never Really Over - #15

Small Talk - #82

The fact G.U.Y. is higher than two of those, shook myself

MonsterMom

Katy will always be in a worse place because she doesn’t have the raw talent Gaga has to bounce back. :oops:

LG7 time now
15 minutes ago, theahsfan said:

Applause - #4

Do What U Want - #13

G.U.Y. - #76

365 - #86

Never Really Over - #15

Small Talk - #82

Harley In Hawaii has never been a single though, unlike TIHTY which didn't chart until the Oscars (#95 for 1 week).

Katy is in a worse place than Gaga though, because Gaga was already considered as one of the biggest popstars ever one year into her career

LG7 time now
2 minutes ago, MonsterMom said:

Katy will always be in a worse place because she doesn’t have the raw talent Gaga has to bounce back. :oops:

The emoji was a bit too much, but yeah, what you wrote is true. I wonder if Katy even tries to get better at singing, takes singing lessons etc. :huh:

LG7 time now
4 minutes ago, Rio said:

The fact G.U.Y. is higher than two of those, shook myself

A song peaking at #76 in 2014 is like not charting today though

Bradley

Gaga bounced back almost immediately after ARTPOP, with constant acclaim coming from Cheek to Cheek, The Sound of Music, 2016 Superbowl (acclaimed national anthem ranking just behind Whitney Houston's rendition), American Horror Story: Hotel acting (Golden Globe says hi), David Bowie tribute, Til It Happens to You (first Academy Award nomination). Joanne continued to solidify her acclaim and respect among the GP with Coachella, Superbowl halftime show (universally acclaimed, most watched musical event in history, nominated for Emmys), one Grammy and two nominations, A Star Is Born catapulted it into a whole level of stardom, with even more Grammy wins and nominations I could count, also sold 6 million copies worldwide. In the meantime, she also produced critically acclaimed shows like the Joanne World Tour (which visited both arenas and stadiums) and Enigma and Jazz & Piano, which are doing arena numbers ($1.4 mil/night), when Britney did $500k/night. This is just music.

If you count acting endeavours, Gaga got nominated for Best Actress at the Golden Globes, SAG, Oscars, BAFTA, won Critics' Choice, won National Board of Review and tons of other independent association awards.

Witness was supposed to be ARTPOP. Her comeback is NRO, Small Talk, and Harleys in Hawaii.

What do you think?

Madling
6 minutes ago, Bradley said:

acclaimed national anthem ranking just behind Whitney Houston's rendition

Which was lip synced. 

Love queen Whitney but it needs to be said. I was fooled for years. 

Archived