Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
question

Is Katy In A Worse Place Than Gaga Was?

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

Lord Temptation

ARTPOP was hard because it was an actual anti-Gaga backlash where anyone and everyone who mentioned her name was trashing or hating on her. But as we know anger eventually dissipates and now Gaga is stronger and more loved and respected than ever before.

Katy is different. People aren’t hating on her. They simply don’t care anymore. They nothing her. That, I think, is harder to win someone back from.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/2/2019 at 4:23 AM, Judas Society said:

So you mean financial wise? No, I think she is still earning so much more money.

I still think Gaga has like one of the worst lows in a pop star career. People were calling her attention seeking and fake, calling her a has-been who is trying too hard. Critics were tearing ARTPOP apart while attacking her as a person. The GP were seeing her as this demon and laughing monsters who still follows her. You can still see the effects til now where people are still hating on her (though mostly jealous stans now). 

Katy is still viewed like a celebrity by the GP even if they didn't take on her music as well.  

Where did all of the above happen?

TheRealJT

Gaga worked really hard after ARTPOP under performed. Show casing her vocal talent, changing her whole brand, and exploring new career opportunities. 
Katy has not done anything new and continues to sell out as much as possible to squeeze out as much money as she can. Remember when she released a brand new song but it was exclusively for a phone game.  Or Cozy Little Christmas being an amazon exclusive, an streaming service no one uses, for a whole year. Or her tacky racist shoes. Or being a judge on the soulless show American Idol. 
Unlike Taylor or Kesha, Katy sticks with her producers and contracts. She would still be working with Dr. Luke if Kesha didn’t ruin(expose) him. 
So yes, Katy is in a worse spot than Gaga. But at least she can rely on her old hits as a tribute act. 

Lord Temptation
27 minutes ago, TMM90 said:

Where did all of the above happen?

It was more the media backlash and stans who fell for the hate. Vice for example wrote the article on “The Bitter End of Lady Gaga”, Pitchfork wrote “Did ARTPOP flop?” Not to mention that whole false story (that got picked up by so many media outlets) about ARTPOP costing Interscope $20 million in losses and creating job cuts! Like WTF. None of those “journalists” even checked the facts. 

And as recently as 2017 Buzzfeed was saying how the new Lady Gaga (i.e. her Joanne alter ego) was still yet another failure.

So yes, the media’s knives were all over Gaga from 2013-2017. Add Perez Hilton, Lina Morgana, Adam Levine, Troy Carter, the Chainsmokers, the Flaming Lips, David Bowie’s son Duncan, Prince, Madonna, Angela Cheng, Grace Jones.

PartySick

Nah. Katy just had a few good songs flop. No big deal. She'll be back for her next album cycle.

Sorcerer

The fact that Katy seems to care less about commercial success now makes me think she's happy and contented on where she is. Plus, she has the man of her dreams. :sara:

Andreu

I would say yes, and with a very easy justification:

ARTPOP did similar to witness, if not better.

The singles this year did even worse than Witness, which at most is on the same level of Success as ARTPOP.

First of all, Bon Appetit and Swish Swish were bigger hits than chained to the rhythm. Second of all. Witness did really well considering how bad the album concept was. Since then she hasn’t really promoted her music (why would her label promote her if she hasn’t started a new album era yet.)

Katy will probably do well when her lead single drops. She has the fame and money to put out a huge promotional campaign and she is still a household name. I honestly don’t know why people think she’s flopping rn. She is putting out rejects from her upcoming album to keep fans happy while waiting for next era to begin. Do you actually think this crap is her trying her best?:laughga:

LaLuna

No. The media (and even fans) were straight up bullying Gaga during the ARTPOP era. Like, for some reason everyone was so happy to see her fail. With Katy it's more like, meh, whatever, don't care.

Gaga bounced back in spectacular fashion because she's talented and decided to showcase that talent and explore new avenues. She's shown growth. Katy has not grown at all and she's just uninteresting and her talent is too average to elicit any kind of strong reaction, positive or negative.

2 hours ago, Bradley said:

Gaga bounced back almost immediately after ARTPOP, with constant acclaim coming from Cheek to Cheek, The Sound of Music, 2016 Superbowl (acclaimed national anthem ranking just behind Whitney Houston's rendition), American Horror Story: Hotel acting (Golden Globe says hi), David Bowie tribute, Til It Happens to You (first Academy Award nomination). Joanne continued to solidify her acclaim and respect among the GP with Coachella, Superbowl halftime show (universally acclaimed, most watched musical event in history, nominated for Emmys), one Grammy and two nominations, A Star Is Born catapulted it into a whole level of stardom, with even more Grammy wins and nominations I could count, also sold 6 million copies worldwide. In the meantime, she also produced critically acclaimed shows like the Joanne World Tour (which visited both arenas and stadiums) and Enigma and Jazz & Piano, which are doing arena numbers ($1.4 mil/night), when Britney did $500k/night. This is just music.

If you count acting endeavours, Gaga got nominated for Best Actress at the Golden Globes, SAG, Oscars, BAFTA, won Critics' Choice, won National Board of Review and tons of other independent association awards.

Witness was supposed to be ARTPOP. Her comeback is NRO, Small Talk, and Harleys in Hawaii.

What do you think?

great analysis:hug:

there is only one bitch // the real one // B R I T N E Y

Sickness

Yes in the sense that indifference is worse than hate. People dragged Gaga out of joy and because it was the cool thing to do, with Katy people just decided to stop caring out of nowhere. They gave her one of her biggest songs ever with Roar and by the next era they didn't even care about her lead single.

It also didn't help the fact that she served sex her entire career, the hot girl next door, and then cut all her hair off, bleached it and wore 80s aunt clothes. Obviously people didn't take the hot girl serious when she tried to send a politcal message, let alone when she went back to "open 24/7, i'm on the menu" after "we're living in a bubble" didn't work.

She just came across as contrived and desperate that whole era, and the ARTPOP era had some "desperate" moments too but no shade, Gaga has always had the talent to back it all up, and she proved it.

Archived