opinion

Gypsy is a Flawless song

Pop Music

Featured Posts

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jadeykins

the line "it's the way that you love and treat your mother" always makes me go.....wait what?? I bloody love her 

Smother Em Eh

It definitely is a great song. The lyrics are so cute but I personally find it quite generic. Still a bop though

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

LeJudas
33 minutes ago, ashae said:

I swear nobody actually understands the context of gypsy being a slur.

It is not a slur to use the word gypsy, they are a people who live in many areas of the world like the gitanos in spain, tigan in romania, etc. and many of them are proud of their culture and heritage as nomadic people and identify as gypsies. 

However, this does not mean any nomad is a gypsy hence when gypsy actually becomes a slur is when calling someone  who does not call themselves a gypsy a gypsy as then it is meant derogatorily.

Gaga using the word gypsy simply is just not offensive to anyone but white people who  think they know more about other cultures than they know about themselves.

If they wanna do that then Shakira has a song called Gypsy as well .  And so do many other artists.  Just sayin

I love it so much :heart: I wonder if she'll ever play it live again, considering it's for/about Taylor. Hopefully with some distance from the relationship she'll be able to. 

Although the 'Gypsy is a slur' stuff is unfortunate. I know she didn't mean any harm whatsoever, but what is considered appropriate shifts over time and with new insights... maybe she will drop it, who knows 

dynamite

I wish people would stop taking offense on behalf of others. Save your offense for something that actually concerns you. My friend is an ~actual~ gypsy and it's one of her favourite songs. Let gypsies decide. Not you. 

Intention and meaning is a massive part of it. Was the intent to be offensive there? Was she ridiculing gypsies? No. Ok. It's a great song then. Move on. 

I hope she doesn't drop it. Own your craft and stop pandering to the perpetually offended. 

Matangi
13 minutes ago, dynamite said:

I wish people would stop taking offense on behalf of others. Save your offense for something that actually concerns you. My friend is an ~actual~ gypsy and it's one of her favourite songs. Let gypsies decide. Not you. 

Intention and meaning is a massive part of it. Was the intent to be offensive there? Was she ridiculing gypsies? No. Ok. It's a great song then. Move on. 

I hope she doesn't drop it. Own your craft and stop pandering to the perpetually offended. 

The word is Romani, or any real ethnicity that you're referring to. Gypsy is a derogatory word that is still often used today to deride people as dirty and poor.

Sassy McSass
1 hour ago, Haus Swiftie said:

never thought of it that way. I always picture it to be a song about loneliness but finding love and company through music and travel. I always play it when I'm having bad anxiety attacks or am having a really depressed day and it lifts me back up. 

I think it’s about finding someone that will accept you for who you are but also knowing you can be enough on your own. In my case, I identified with everything you said. It’s special because I think of them, but it’s a great song to travel on your own. I’m very anxious as well, not a people person at all, and I used to travel a lot alone on my car when I was in college and it always made me feel better. I’m so happy there’s another person out there that feels the same. Lots of love to you :heart:

I’ll keep looking for Wonderland

dynamite
10 minutes ago, Matangi said:

The word is Romani, or any real ethnicity that you're referring to. Gypsy is a derogatory word that is still often used today to deride people as dirty and poor.

Its use is clearly subjective then. My friend does not refer to herself as Romani. She uses the term GYPSY. The attribution to people being dirty and poor doesn't negate the fact that it's a legit use of the term and it isn't innately offensive depending on usage. You can give any term a dirty meaning. Not everyone views them as dirty. I don't. Gaga clearly doesn't. Certain gypsies themselves don't.

Smother Em Eh
26 minutes ago, LeJudas said:

If they wanna do that then Shakira has a song called Gypsy as well .  And so do many other artists.  Just sayin

Exactly! Stevie Nicks has a song called Gypsy and I don’t see or hear anyone calling her racist. 

:interestinga:

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Matangi
4 minutes ago, dynamite said:

Its use is clearly subjective then. My friend does not refer to herself as Romani. She uses the term GYPSY. The attribution of people being dirty and poor doesn't negate the fact that it's a legit use of the term. Not everyone views them as dirty. I do not. Gaga clearly does not.

Is my gypsy friend racist or wrong for misusing her own term? Strange how your view would supercede hers... 

I am telling you what many Romani people indicate about respecting their heritage, and its clearly a different situation if a person uses  slur of their own identity to reclaim it. black people casually use the n word, gays use the word *******...

For a non-Romani person to assume they should use the slur "gypsy"-- regardless of their intention-- is to be ignorant of its history.

Archived