Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

Toronto Has 80 Skyscrapers Under Construction

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.narcity.com/amp/toronto-skyscrapers-under-construction-will-be-among-the-tallest-in-all-of-canada

The city of Toronto currently has 80 Skyscrapers under Construction and is the city in the world with the most cranes right now with dozens more pending approval

Several of the buildings under construction will surpass 300 metres (near 1,000 feet)

As part of the solution to help the housing crisis the Government announced cheap loans to developers who build condos and apartments to increase construction and the Province of Ontario re-zoned some land in Toronto recently to allow more skyscrapers

Edit: Computer generated image after projects currently under construction are complete:

toronto-skyline-1200x628-1476458917.jpg

Edited by Economy
  • Like 3
  • Shook 2
  • Sad 1

Economy

If anyone has been to Toronto last few years it's actually insane. It's cranes and buildings going up everywhere...

U also see old buildings being demolished to make taller ones...

While I don't like congestion if this helps the housing crisis im up for it :firega:

• Like 2

Diente

Is the infrastructure capable of hold this? Transportation? Other supplies? 

80 skyscrapers in such a short time span sounds like a recipe for trouble. 

Economy
Just now, Diente said:

Is the infrastructure capable of hold this? Transportation? Other supplies? 

80 skyscrapers in such a short time span sounds like a recipe for trouble. 

Most are to be completed by 2023

This doesn't count all the mid-rise buildings under construction either... :awkney:

I know they are expanding the subway lines and trying to add as many busses as possible but it's already very congested

The mayor of Toronto is against accelerating growth even more but the Province of Ontario overuled the city and recently re-zoned some of the land to allow even more skyscrapers and the new Federal loans to builders should accelerate construction even more

Toronto this last year was the fastest growing city in North America with a growth of 125,000 people and vacancies remain critically low

Infrastructure or not, more housing is required

This is the city now

gettyimages-592629804-1.jpg

This is a computer generated image of what's it's supposed to look like after projects are built

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 5
  • Sad 4

gumzy3000

I agree, Toronto is growing so fast. Unfortunately our public transportation is very behind. We need to do something about the crowing during rush hour, it is getting insane. I stopped going to downtown so much because I can not stand being in a crowded street car. I really hope something happens soon because I can not live in a city with such a small public transportation system. Especially after visiting cities like New York and London.

Edited by gumzy3000
A messy blend of logic and sass
  • Like 2

gypsy101

sounds like too many tbh

isn’t it already super expensive to live there?

berlinforme

I love these threads, thanks for giving us an insight! 
The before/after is crazy. Hope the infrastructure can keep up

StarstruckIllusion

Ok and? 
Will any normal people will actually be able to afford it?

• Thanks 2

LIMECHAKRA

This is happening in Columbus, Ohio right now too. It's insane. You wouldn't think of it here but the population was 630,000 in 2010. It's about to pass a million. Gaining 400,000 people that fast makes it really hard for a city to keep up. There is already housing and transportation issues but the city just keeps letting them build build build.  The construction here is crazy and the skyline keeps getting larger and larger. There are literally neighborhoods of midrises that didn't even exist five years ago.

We weren't even as big as Charlotte in the early 2000s and now Columbus just surpassed San Francisco. :bradley: I think we went from 26th biggest city in America to 11th in about 12 years. And it's not stopping. 

We have 4 gay districts now. Why does a midwest city need 4 gay districts?

• Like 1

Alii
3 hours ago, Economy said:

This doesn't count all the mid-rise buildings under construction either... :awkney:

I know they are expanding the subway lines and trying to add as many busses as possible but it's already very congested

The mayor of Toronto is against accelerating growth even more but the Province of Ontario overuled the city and recently re-zoned some of the land to allow even more skyscrapers and the new Federal loans to builders should accelerate construction even more

Toronto this last year was the fastest growing city in North America with a growth of 125,000 people and vacancies remain critically low

This is the city now

This is a computer generated image of what's it's supposed to look like after projects are built

Kinda hate how it is going look. I understand why tho. 

I don’t want every city to look like Dubai. :messga:

• Like 4

skedaddleBItCh
4 hours ago, Economy said:

This is the city now

It looks... so many lol

Economy
8 hours ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

Ok and? 
Will any normal people will actually be able to afford it?

9 hours ago, gypsy101 said:

sounds like too many tbh

isn’t it already super expensive to live there?

I mean more housing supply should help prices not make it worse

• Like 1

Akiki

Lisbon is the same but they are mostly restoring historical buildings. But there are so many cranes. My street is a mess with so much  buildings  under construction. Last time I checked from the river I saw 20+ cranes but there are probably much more since the hills hide many of them and you cant see the whole city. 

Still.. the demand is growing and prices are... well... 500 euros for a room. In 2012 the average was 250. Now it's almost impossible to find something lower than 300 euros. 

Economy
14 hours ago, Akiki said:

Lisbon is the same but they are mostly restoring historical buildings. But there are so many cranes. My street is a mess with so much  buildings  under construction. Last time I checked from the river I saw 20+ cranes but there are probably much more since the hills hide many of them and you cant see the whole city. 

Still.. the demand is growing and prices are... well... 500 euros for a room. In 2012 the average was 250. Now it's almost impossible to find something lower than 300 euros. 

That's about $700 to $800. Still cheaper than my city tbh :sweat:

I'm going to Lisbon in 2-3 weeks btw :)

Akiki
5 hours ago, Economy said:

That's about $700 to $800. Still cheaper than my city tbh :sweat:

I'm going to Lisbon in 2-3 weeks btw :)

When the minimum wage is 580€ it gets problematic :/

Omg! September is a cool month to be in Lisbon. Hope you enjoy your stay ❤