Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

In The Future, Only Rich People Can Escape From Unbearable Heat.

Featured Posts

RAMROD

In the future, only the rich will be able to escape the unbearable heat from climate change. In Iraq, it’s already happening.

The temperature is 48C and there is no escaping it. The electricity is out in his neighbourhood and he can’t afford a generator to power an air conditioner. And it’s more of the same at home. 

Baghdad offers a troubling glimpse into a future where only the wealthy are equipped to escape the effects of climate change.

“It’s death,” says 17-year-old Muhammad, as he swelters behind the counter at the hardware store where he works in central Baghdad. 

“I wake up during the night covered in sweat,” he says, in a low voice. “It’s exhausting. The heat makes you feel awful.”

Iraq is used to the stifling summer heat, but the few tools its residents have at their disposal to stay cool are becoming unaffordable for the country’s poor. 

At a time when European countries are enduring some of the highest temperatures ever recorded, and as extreme weather becomes more common, Baghdad offers a troubling glimpse into a future where only the wealthy are equipped to escape the effects of climate change. 

A United Nations report released last month warned that the world is heading for a “climate apartheid” scenario, “where the wealthy pay to escape overheating, hunger and conflict while the rest of the world is left to suffer”. 

In Baghdad, that is already a reality. On 48C days, which are now coming earlier in the year, air conditioners are the most effective way of staying cool. But an electricity crisis in the country is putting even that essential tool out of reach to low-income families. 

Iraq’s electricity crisis may be a local problem, but the inequality of keeping cool is a global issue that is likely to become more relevant as temperatures rise. 

Full article at Source:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/climate-change-apartheid-poor-iraq-effects-heatwave-a9049206.html

Better bought those air conditioners, and more cooling devices, while it's still cheap, hennies. :diane:

Edited by RAMROD
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ Don't ♥ Let ♥ Me ♥ Get ♥ Me♥
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 13

DeIusional

Looks like I’m spending my trust fund on a fan :messga:

give me a reaction or don’t its fine
  • Love 1

Lilmonzter

The temperature a human body can survive is 44 °C, but the maximum is 46.5 °C  after which brain death will occur! 

It's happening everywhere! Planting trees may be a solution! Or maybe we'll evolve to have scales! :fail:

Edited by Lilmonzter
Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
  • Like 1

Vergil

They’re the cause of climate change yet they put the blame on poor people. Capitalism at its finest.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Adriana Lima

My biggest fear is not being able to afford a airconditioner. It may sound funny but its a basic human necessity.

Like how am i gonna be supposed to read novels when there is no under chill air in the summer and warm rooms in winter.

All humans should have education, food, home, and things like airconditioner, water to wash etc.

Edited by Adriana Lima
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryusei

Disgusting how they are making it more expensive and yet another luxury good instead of making it cheaper for people to be able to buy them so they can escape such extreme heat... like wtf someone explain to me how people can be that inhumane. (rethorical question)

Edited by Ryusei
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

GhettoFabulous

:madge:so sad when they’re the reason we’re in this predicament in the first place :madge:

LG6 is NEVER coming
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

GhettoFabulous
1 hour ago, Vergil said:

They’re the cause of climate change yet they put the blame on poor people. Capitalism at its finest.

:madge: this x47586857 

LG6 is NEVER coming

ToughHooker

i wish people would behave like a collective, instead of egoists

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ziggy
2 hours ago, Ryusei said:

Disgusting how they are making it more expensive and yet another luxury good instead of making it cheaper for people to be able to buy them so they can escape such extreme heat... like wtf someone explain to me how people can be that inhumane. (rethorical question)

Because there's a big profit to be made by making them a more scarce object.

Ryusei
11 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Because there's a big profit to be made by making them a more scarce object.

I said it's a rethorical question, I know that that's the answer. But it's f*cking disgusting to let people die in the heat to make a bit of profit of which they could probably make more of with the quantity they would sell if they made them accessible to people with lower budgets as well. 

• Like 2

Gagz4Gaga

And the audacity of Republicans and Trumpturds to say that climate change isn’t real? Tf.  :interestinga:

• Like 1