Stefani Tee
society

Elderly couple commits suicide because they can’t afford healthcare costs

Featured Posts

imitalian
8 hours ago, GypsyBabe said:

A simple ambulance ride can cost $10,000 and god forbid you are severely injured and have to be med flighted. That can cost $30,000. A severe illness can cause a family massive debt. 

This is CRAZY. 

Whispering
8 hours ago, Melech said:

It’s not like all democrats support it either 

The large majority support healthcare for all, with no pre-existing conditions clause. 

That’s much better than Republicans who are trying to take it away and roll back benefits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Jenina

My dad got a hip replacement 14 years ago and he was supposed to go back in 10 years to get it fixed again and he hasn't yet because it's just too expensive. He limps everywhere and collapses due to it often but he doesn't have insurance so he can't do it. The healthcare system in this country is just ridiculous. One of the medications I was prescribed that worked really well for me cost 1200 a month so I had to stop taking it.

Edited by Jenina
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 10

LaLuna
13 hours ago, GypsyBabe said:

I’m so sorry to hear this. :ohno:

My health insurance costs me $400 a month and I don’t even have a family to think about. Good healthcare is very expensive and causes a lot of stress on US families. A simple ambulance ride can cost $10,000 and god forbid you are severely injured and have to be med flighted. That can cost $30,000. A severe illness can cause a family massive debt. 

I... I can't believe it. What the actual f*** America????

Last time I had to go the hospital in an ambulance it only cost me $125, which I was more than happy to pay because my back was in a terrible state and I couldn't even walk.

I'm so grateful to live in Canada. This situation is absolutely devastating and appalling. It needs to change, like, NOW.

"Social media is the toilet of the Internet"

Saint Laurent

The people in this thread who are inferring that healthcare is 'free' in the UK are misled. We do pay for our healthcare via our National Insurance contributions (which is 12% of most people's gross monthly salary and is in addition to income tax). I personally pay around £200 per month from my salary in National Insurance contributions, which is used to fund the NHS (among other things such as the State Pension etc.).

Is the NHS a much better way of paying for medical care? Absolutely, since it is 'free' at the point of use/need. Is healthcare in the UK 'free'? Absolutely not. I would caution anybody who thinks so to do their research.

It riddles me with confusion why the NHS system (or a variant thereof) has not been readily adopted across the world. Suicide resulting from an inability to pay high healthcare costs is an abomination.

• Like 3

Vitleysingur

Here in China, I pay approx. $6 every year for a nationwide healthcare plan for students which covers 90% of the medical costs. :selena:

Dreams of you and me are in the dirt.
  • Shook 3

ladylinners

The system in Sweden is similar to the UK. 

Just checked what it costs for an ambulance in Sweden and it's about $15 in my region (the fee does vary per region and the highest I've seen is $50). It's free for persons under the age of 20, persons over the age of 85, persons with high-cost protection, and expecting mothers. 

• Love 1

Economy
15 hours ago, sillynate said:

What happened to Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, America? This type of modern life is not for me

14 hours ago, Born To Slay said:

Is this a joke? Pls tell me if ur being sarcastic cause I honestly can’t tell. 

If you r for real tho, don’t feel bad. It’s only fair to assume that’d be the case but it’s not. Here in America, healthcare is largely privatized and can be quite expensive.

15 hours ago, Cssomeone said:

Do you know how much it costs to be taken to hospital by ambulance, for instance, in US? :cryga:

15 hours ago, ThatAsianGuy said:

But doesnt your government provide free health services?

15 hours ago, alextruper17 said:

Good doesn't mean cheap or free

Which is no doubt one of the major reasons why the US is one of the very few Developed Nations to have a life expectancy still below 80

Most developed Nations are now 82 or above. Few are under 80

The US life expectancy of about 79 years is on the very upper range of developing Countries that are nearly developed

Even Portugal where I used to live where life is so much harder economically and overall standard of living is low by developed Nation standards, life expectancy still beats the US

• Shook 1

Sebs
15 hours ago, GypsyBabe said:

I’m so sorry to hear this. :ohno:

My health insurance costs me $400 a month and I don’t even have a family to think about. Good healthcare is very expensive and causes a lot of stress on US families. A simple ambulance ride can cost $10,000 and god forbid you are severely injured and have to be med flighted. That can cost $30,000. A severe illness can cause a family massive debt. 

as an Italian, I'm completely shook.  i

• Like 2

Loeppke
15 hours ago, Cssomeone said:

Do you know how much it costs to be taken to hospital by ambulance, for instance, in US? :cryga:

Just to wait in the lobby of an emergency room costs $500 :selena:

like what you see? my number is 1-800-u-wish
  • Shook 3
  • Thanks 1

Born To Slay
4 minutes ago, Economy said:

Which is no doubt one of the major reasons why the US is one of the very few Developed Nations to have a life expectancy still below 80

Most developed Nations are now 82 or above. Few are under 80

The US life expectancy of about 79 years is on the very upper range of developing Countries that are nearly developed

Even Portugal where I used to live where life is so much harder economically and overall standard of living is low by developed Nation standards, life expectancy still beats the US

Wow, that’s ****ing depressing. Hopefully grandpa Bernie gets us what we need,

• Like 2

kyanewest

Vote Bernie

The crowds are gone. And it's time to wash out the blonde.
  • Like 1

Diamonster

This is insane!! I’ve been dreaming of living in the US all my life, jealous af of the people born there but now this just made me thankful my country which isn’t even a good country mind you, doesn’t have this outrageous costs for HEALTHCARE! Insanity! I’m so sorry for everyone suffering cuz of it 

• Like 1