đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Gaga gonna be the new "Cindy Lauper"

kaelergrey

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, ZwRaven said:

No offense to you, this is just in general. Why is Katy even mentioned in the same sentence as Gaga. She can't even sing! Plus her catalogue is very unimaginative. Idk why ya'll like her so much? Educate me cause I just don't get it.

When lady gaga was just a pop girl people compared her to Katy because they both came in the same year (like Cyndi and Madonna in 1983). Soon after PRISM and ARTPOP were matched by commercial performance, people began to say that Gaga would be the most unsuccessful and disappear from the media, while Katy would be as successful as Madonna (even though she was so limited and unintelligent). Anyway, times and situations have changed, but Gaga is still being compared to Cyndi.

P.S.: I do not like Katy's music

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaga is neither a Cyndi or a Cher.

Cyndi Lauper had one big album. She is forever associated with the 80s and only the 80s. She has 2-3 gigantic classics and that is all. Most people know the songs more than the singer. Those 2-3 songs are the only things people think about when her name is mentioned.

Cher is a very famous celebrity/artist who has had many hits scattered throughout her career but has never been known or praised as an artist who makes albums. Essentially she is a singles artist who has had various levels of success.

Gaga is more similar to other main pop girls. Like Madonna, Whitney, etc. Not as big sure, not as successful but her career is playing out similar to theirs. A couple a big eras, some down time, another peak.

SKANK
6 hours ago, August3 said:

I'm talking about commercial success. Nobody cares about awards, they're meaningless. 

"No one cares about awards, they are meaningless."

Cut to a montage of Gaga being hysterical whenever she wins an award, and this cult site being equally hysterical.

tenor.gif?itemid=4947147

0eba62285c73cc648d4f9ddb7dc0e921.png

Lady-Gaga-Best-Actress-Critics-Choice-Aw

6 hours ago, Swallow said:

This is cute and all but Cyndi remained in the 80s. She didn't even manage to rule the whole decade, had quite a few flops.

Era #1

#2 Girls Just Wanna Have Fun  //// #1 Just Dance
#1 Time After Time /// #1 Poker Face
#3 She Bop /// #5 LoveGame
#5 All Through The Nights /// #6 Paparazzi
#27 Money Changes Everything

Era #2

#1 True Colors /// #2 Bad Romance
#3 Change of Heart /// #3 Telephone
#12 What's Going On /// #5 Alejandro
#71 Boy Blue
#54 Hole in My Heart

Era #3

#6 I Drove All Night  /// #1 Born This Way
#62 My First Night Without You /// #10 Judas

- Cyndi's career is over at this point.

It's disingenuous to be measuring Cyndi's sucess as an artist by tabulating hits on a pop chart. Cyndi, unlike Madonna or Gaga, was never motivated by pop star domination. She happened upon pop stardom as the result of two hit New Wave albums, but she has always been an odd, left-of-center, soul singer who flits from niche passion project, to niche passion project.  If her projects are being received well enough to garner her critical acclaim in the form of Tonys and Grammys, it's safe to say her career is not over. 

Obviously Gaga has surpassed Cyndi Lauper in terms of commercial sucess, and cultural impact. Their art and philanthropy are very comparable though.

ProdigyARTPOP

She literally has had 5 #1 albums, she scored another #1 hit this year, she won 3 Grammy’s last year, her songs are currently either 1x Platinum-5x Platinum, not to mention that she’s got a sold out residency, I’d say she’s doing just fine.

Reginald

I think (for myself) that a Cyndi Lauper level of fame would actually be wonderful. I would be so happy to have her level of success. I'm sure she lives a very normal, private life without having to worry about who's paying attention 

Catnikko
10 hours ago, BgRaEgTaT said:

Shallow wouldn’t have nearly the impact that it did without Bradley Cooper/ASIB movie...

So? That's like saying the controversial Gaga wouldn't have had nearly the impact If the GP didn't gossip about her penis and her satanic Illuminati agenda.. Well it happened so? :shrug: 

Actual patient

Helxig

I remember seeing them together during their Viva Glam promo and thinking this! Or rather hoping it wouldn't be true :sweat:  maybe she will be more of a Barbara Streisand or Cher though now that she acts too

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Prada

Of course Gaga is already past Cindy Lauper s success. But somehow something is lucking. and no thats not the time.

Something that makes Beyonce a legend but Gaga or Katy, these girls doesn' t have.

I think but cant find that thing.

monketsharona
19 hours ago, Enzo said:

ASIB, The Fame, The Fame Monster and Born This Way are laughing in their throne 

Edited :staymad:

FfFfFfFF
11 hours ago, SKANK said:

"No one cares about awards, they are meaningless."

Cut to a montage of Gaga being hysterical whenever she wins an award, and this cult site being equally hysterical.

tenor.gif?itemid=4947147

0eba62285c73cc648d4f9ddb7dc0e921.png

Lady-Gaga-Best-Actress-Critics-Choice-Aw

It's disingenuous to be measuring Cyndi's sucess as an artist by tabulating hits on a pop chart. Cyndi, unlike Madonna or Gaga, was never motivated by pop star domination. She happened upon pop stardom as the result of two hit New Wave albums, but she has always been an odd, left-of-center, soul singer who flits from niche passion project, to niche passion project.  If her projects are being received well enough to garner her critical acclaim in the form of Tonys and Grammys, it's safe to say her career is not over. 

Obviously Gaga has surpassed Cyndi Lauper in terms of commercial sucess, and cultural impact. Their art and philanthropy are very comparable though.

They just say she remained in the 80s. Her singles and albums stopped having success, people know only her first songs. People of newer generations gradually forget her even though she does have a legacy. Her recent Grammy wins are also based of her 80s legacy. I saw she released two albums recently (one in 2009 with a 69 score on metacritic and one in 2016 with a 63 - less than any Gaga album). So, let's not act like she got the award for some extraordinary artistic merit backed by critical universal acclaim, it's just that she is still loved and respected for her 80s legacy. And as other users already pointed, Gaga exceeded her by her third album.

ShayCristoforo

I don't think their careers or their work is comparable at all. Both great, but Gaga's catalog is more robust and way different imo

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

SKANK
3 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I saw she released two albums recently (one in 2009 with a 69 score on metacritic and one in 2016 with a 63 - less than any Gaga album). So, let's not act like she got the award for some extraordinary artistic merit backed by critical universal acclaim, it's just that she is still loved and respected for her 80s legacy. And as other users already pointed, Gaga exceeded her by her third album.

The Grammy, Tony, and Lawrence Oliver wins were for her musical Kinky Boots.

Cyndi Lauper's last two albums, the ones you are referring to, were creative projects released on independent record labels. They weren't pop albums designed to have hit singles, chart well, or receive glowing reviews. One is a traditional Blues album, and the other is a collection of Country standards that features yodeling. As always, she is just doing her weird little thing.

As I said, there is no question Gaga has surpassed Cyndi in terms of commercial sucess and cultural impact. When it comes to their art and philanthropy, they are very comparable.

They are both Italian American New Yorkers. Their eccentric fashion sense defined an era and made them icons. They are both legitimate gay rights activists. They tackle a lot of the same themes in their work. Neither feel confined to a specific musical genre. I mean Cyndi was collaborating with Tony Bennet for an album of jazz standards ten years before Cheek To Cheek. They share a similar creative frequency. 

Gaga obviously isn't the next Cyndi Lauper, whatever that means. I just think the comparison to Cyndi is legitimate, and not an insult.

freebit

Cyndi is cool, accomplished and has aged well, but Gaga and Cyndi both have different vibes. Despite embracing camp, Gaga has always had a more serious vibe. Cyndi's thing has always been about embracing fun. Kesha is more similar to her IMO. 

On 7/25/2019 at 5:18 PM, Renato Pinheiro said:

Anyway, times and situations have changed, but Gaga is still being compared to Cyndi.

By who? Gays on pop forums? I literally never see them compared in the media. Cher and Madonna (still), yeah, though I feel like the media has put her in the Cher bracket after ASIB's success.

ZwRaven
On 7/25/2019 at 2:46 PM, August3 said:

I'm talking about commercial success. Nobody cares about awards, they're meaningless. 

IMO commercial success is the worst judge of success artist.

TheSlash

Well, for years I thought this was a Gaga song:

:smh:  :toofunny: 

Spoiler

Thanks, unknown YT uploader who captured it with "Lady GaGa Leak" and fooling younger, dumber me back in 2010 :triggered:  :triggered:  :triggered: 

Ew, David!

Archived