On 7/25/2019 at 5:55 PM, mic said:

That’s why probably for a makeup line it is better to focus on faces

Then why feature their bodies at all :madge:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus
2 minutes ago, iCpro said:

The campaign seems to be focused on gender and sexuality, which are two areas that have been important to Gaga throughout her career, so it makes sense for them to include them. While more diversity is always a plus, it seems a little disingenuous just to throw plus sized models in there if they’re not actually adding anything new. 

In the same breath, you could say it's useless featuring black models since that's been done to death too. Like... no, that's no a good argument :emma:

Didymus

For people new to this thread, lemme reiterate that no one is saying Gaga made a mistake or should be pressured to feature plus size models: it would simply be nice for the sake of diversity itself :shrug:

Still baffled people choose to take offense about that.

Inferno
6 minutes ago, Didymus said:

For people new to this thread, lemme reiterate that no one is saying Gaga made a mistake or should be pressured to feature plus size models simply for the sake of diversity itself :shrug:

Still baffled people choose to take offense about that.

Im not taking offense to it. I just think this conversation on the general whole tends to end up being a bit surface level. Im not of the mindset that there being a plus sized model in this advertisement or not, is of any importance. In general, I think the body positivity movement is a good thing. I think when a brand has diverse campaigns its a good thing. I dont think every ad needs to have everything all the time and the topic of this thread was essentially, is this ad diverse enough? And quite honestly, I don't think thats the mindset to have. It should be viewed more organically and less like a nitpicking checklist. I guess thats ultimately my pov. Would it have been nice? Sure. Does it hold any bearing on the quality of the ad or tarnish the diversity that is featured? No. Its just kind of neither here nor there imo.

JoanneMonster
On 7/24/2019 at 5:02 PM, imnotyourbabe10 said:

100% agree!  It's such a shame that the people who have a platform and also send us messages of love and self-acceptance fall into the trap of typically including only the normative body types.  Even with back-up dancers, heavier set folks can dance so why not include them in videos or tours? 

Thanks for the post.  One can enjoy something but also critique it at the same time (something some folks on here don't understand).

Well back up dancers have atheltic bodies basically because they are athletes, It wouldn’t make sense to train hundreds of hours dancing and have a non tonified/muscular body

I See You

Didymus
Just now, Inferno said:

Im not taking offense to it. I just think this conversation on the general whole is empty and surface level. Im not of the mindset that there being a plus sized model in this advertisement or not, is of any importance. In general, I think the body positivity movement is a good thing. I think when a brand has diverse campaigns its a good thing. I dont think every ad needs to have everything all the time and the topic of this thread was essentially, is this ad diverse enough? And quite honestly, I don't think thats the mindset to have. It should be viewed more organically and less like a nitpicking checklist. I guess thats ultimately my pov. 

I don't disagree. I just think it's a slippery slope to not being diverse at all and saying "well, we can't have everything". Like, why not simply agree that it would be nice just for the sake of diversity itself? No pressure involved :shrug: Just "would be nice". The end.

But some comments here in the style of "why not anorexic people", "who cares about fat people", "diversity is becoming a disease", "it's make-up, who cares" are just as unnecessary as criticizing Gaga for making a mistake with the campaign (which no one is doing) :air: 

Inferno
Just now, Didymus said:

I don't disagree. I just think it's a slippery slope to not being diverse at all and saying "well, we can't have everything". Like, why not simply agree that it would be nice just for the sake of diversity itself? No pressure involved :shrug: Just "would be nice". The end.

But some comments here in the style of "why not anorexic people", "who cares about fat people", "diversity is becoming a disease", "it's make-up, who cares" are just as unnecessary as criticizing Gaga for making a mistake with the campaign (which no one is doing) :air: 

It is a slippery slope honestly which is what makes voicing an exhaustion for aspects of call out culture (which this is essentially a tame extension of) a cautious effort. Because on one hand I do understand said exhaustion to an extent, I think people tend to get a little extra on both ends of the spectrum tbh. But in trying to be objective in this way on specific situations, that also can mislead others to seeing a window to express racist/sizeist/etc projections under the guise of "free thought" which is just....idk everythings so easily perverted.

shane_c

This seems so foolish to me. She's trying to start A BUSINESS,  not make a political statement.

derpmonster
On 7/24/2019 at 8:54 AM, Lucas said:

They say that fatness is a disease, I call it poor choice of lifestyle.

How ignorant. People can be overweight for many reasons that have nothing to do with lifestyle. 

OT: yeah it would be nice to have plus size models. Idk why people are so riled up. It's not something it should be canceled over but it's of course nice to see that non skinny non traditional bodies can be beautiful too especially since that's the message of this line 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

iCpro
1 hour ago, Didymus said:

In the same breath, you could say it's useless featuring black models since that's been done to death too. Like... no, that's no a good argument :emma:

This is a makeup line, featuring black models serves the purpose of showing how the products will look on different skin tones... it’s make up not clothing ma’am

08, 09, 11, 13, 16, 20

Didymus
17 minutes ago, iCpro said:

This is a makeup line, featuring black models serves the purpose of showing how the products will look on different skin tones... it’s make up not clothing ma’am

And having diverse models in the shoots serves the purpose of promoting an appropriate message alongside the product :laughga: Whatever, I know I'm not convincing anyone. There's nothing to convince people of. I just don't get why people are actively opposed to getting plus size models in there instead of just saying "oh yeah would've been nice but it's fine" which it is.

JusKeepBreathin
2 minutes ago, Didymus said:

And having diverse models in the shoots serves the purpose of promoting an appropriate message alongside the product :laughga: Whatever, I know I'm not convincing anyone. There's nothing to convince people of. I just don't get why people are actively opposed to getting plus size models in there instead of just saying "oh yeah would've been nice but it's fine" which it is.

Imagine Gaga stans not being OK with more diversity? It's like I crossed into an alternate universe.  

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

iCpro
8 hours ago, Didymus said:

People aren’t denying that more diversity is good, but rather that to have this debate over this ad is stupid, when there are much greater issues of representation and lack of diversity out there. Why not call out the fact that US government, something that affects everyone in the United States, is severely lagging behind in diversity? Why not put time and energy into that instead of some make up ad? It literally doesn’t matter how diverse a Haus Labs ad is, it really doesn’t.

08, 09, 11, 13, 16, 20

Guillaume Hamon
5 minutes ago, iCpro said:

People aren’t denying that more diversity is good, but rather that to have this debate over this ad is stupid, when there are much greater issues of representation and lack of diversity out there

Exactly. Nobody's like "please we don't want this diversity / representation sh*t" it's just that they don't believe every possible representation of a minority that is not executed should be seem as a missed opportunity,  something to regret etc.

If there were bigger people represented folks would say it's too bad there are no old people and if there were old people folks would say too bad there's no latinos and if there were latinos people would wish for people with disabilities and quote the Born this way lyrics saying it would make sense.

A commercial like that showing people of different sexes, races, gender-non conforming folks etc is already way more inclusive than nearly all of the adverts I see tbh so "regretting" the fact it's not as inclusive as it could be sounds a bit like nitpicking to me. :/ No shade, just my impression that it's a tad like looking for a flaw.

Archived